The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Let's talk strings.

Hey guys, just started playing guitar again after putting it on hold for about 2 1/2 years.
I recently bought a Yamaha FG200 and it plays great. But I am wondering if I should change the strings?
I am currently using the strings it came with (whatever those are.. don't know much about strings on guitars).. maybe I should change them to Elixir strings? I hear those are good.
And I am also wondering how often you should change your strings.. and any other advice at all would be very helpful..

-disco
Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 PM

Two quick pieces of advice - change them when they get tired (which will be much longer for coated strings like Elixers), and if you don't know what to put on, go to the Annex (pink thingie in my sig), go to the Tech Tab and listen to the String Test. There are four different guitar all recorded the same way with five different sets of strings a day one and three. Your guitar might be different, but at least this will give you a starting point.

After that keep records of what your ears tell you.

edit to add - some people think uncoated strings need changing anywhere from every few days to every month or so. Some people feel that some uncoated strings change (for better or worse) in the first few days. Some people feel that coated strings last as long as one or two or three months, which can justify the 3X price difference.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Generally speaking, almost anything is better than T-SIC W's (The Strings It Came With).

I'd recommend D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze, changed every two weeks to a month. You can buy 3-packs, 6-packs, and even 10-packs and save.

Coated strings, in general, are overhyped. Although, if you had an Esteban or something, you might actually goose it a bit by installing some Dean Markley Alchemy phosphor bronze. They tend to make everything sound about the same, with sort of a 12-stringy tinge...

Sugar Bear
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Dr. disco:

For the relatively modest price ($5 - $15) I would try a new set of stings. Many people here on the forum have commented on what a difference a fresh set makes.

I happen to like Elixer's a lot. Others don't. D'Addario makes very good strings also.

All the best!

Tp
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks alot for the suggestions.
I guess i'll head over to Guitar Center this weekend and ask more about Elixirs and D'Addario
Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM

You're most welcome... Maybe they will sell you two sets for a bit of a discount.... always worth asking at GC!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Here's the criteria that I use to change strings:

- When the high strings (high E and B) start to feel not feel slick and noticeably more dull in fretted areas (mine looks like a bunch of dull dots going up the fretboard through the 14 fret) it's time for me to change. I like em slick so I don't have slick and slow spots on the strings when I slide up or down on runs.

- When the strings don't ring bell like (I use Elixir Nanoweb phosphor bronze) anymore it's time for me to change. Also when they don't resonate/ring out as long anymore it's time for me to change.

- When the color of the strings gets more "brown" it's also a time to change.

I change em roughly every 2 weeks with my current amount of play.

Hope this one person's perspective helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM

I order the Musicians Friends 12's 2 10 packs at a time, and change them every 2 to 3 weeks, this way I can keep "newish" strings on my guitar and it don't cost a fortune. After these last few sets are gone I think I will try the Webstrings deals for all of my instruments.

Never did like the coated strings, just did not feel right to me.

And like above "Hope this one person's perspective helps."
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Thanks alot for all of the replies, and yes they did help lol.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:44 AM

One more suggestion: try lots of different string guages. What I've been doing is buying 3 packs of similar strings in different guages. I'm currently working by way the the lighter D'addario phosphor bronze ones: "extra light," "custom light," and "light." This kind of controls other variables (they are all D'addario PB's) and lets you see what guage you like (at the moment). I have been surprised how much I've liked the lighter strings.

I would say stay away from the real bulk deals (i.e. 10 packs, etc.) until you are pretty sure you like what you are buying.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM

Default strings

Another vote for MusiciansFriend 12-52 80/20 sets at less than $2 a set.
They sound great, though not as warm as a phosphor bronze...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 AM

I am now ordering 10 packs from Sweetwater Music, their customer service is outstanding. After you place one order you get assigned a customer service person who you can always call and get on the phone.
Larrivee OM 05
Alvarez-Yairi signed 5067
Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM

I don't know if others notice this but I always know its time to change strings when my ear starts to disagree with my tuner. The strings start to get difficult to tune and when the tuner says they are in tune my ear says different. This usually starts happening after about 3 weeks and I change 'em then. I'd change them every week if I could though as I love the new string sound and feel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion