The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Live vs. recorded acoustic guitar sounds so different

I don't understand this. When I play an acoustic-electric (an acoustic with onboard electronics such as my Carvin C780 or Takamine EG240), the sound is okay. If I record the gig live, the guitar sounds like crap. I guess it is the piezo sound that everyone complains about? (Versus micing an acoustic when you play live sounds better live and recorded.)

Why is this... that the recording sounds so different from what it sounds like live?

EDIT: Sound source was the mixer's tape out into a Zoom H2.

Last edited by LiveMusic; 11-26-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM

How are you recording?

Off a board or recording the actual live sound from the speakers, makes a huge difference. Start with that information........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Short answer; Your recording chains' limitations.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Recording out of the tape outs of the mixer. This was into a Zoom H2.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Recording out of the tape outs of the mixer. This was into a Zoom H2.
Sounds to me like you're bypassing the Zooms' mics, therefore, you're eliminating any room ambience which you're hearing "live".
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I am explaining myself well. I am talking about the standard gripe that you hear from any musician about the sound that comes from using onboard electronics in acoustic guitars versus mic'ing that same guitar.

A recent gig (or any gig) the sound is okay while you're playing. You don't hear that crappy sound. If you record it, the recording gives that yucky acoustic sound.

And I don't understand why this occurs.

Doesn't this make sense? Isn't this a common complaint?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Because when you're playing live, you're hearing the natural acoustics of the guitar (because it's only 18 inches from your ears) mixed in with the amplified sound. The audience doesn't hear that. But they still hear the natural reverb and distortion of the room which blunts some of the crackliness. But when you take the signal off the board for recording, you're getting the pure crappiness of a piezo pickup sound.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Because when you're playing live, you're hearing the natural acoustics of the guitar (because it's only 18 inches from your ears) mixed in with the amplified sound. The audience doesn't hear that. But they still hear the natural reverb and distortion of the room which blunts some of the crackliness. But when you take the signal off the board for recording, you're getting the pure crappiness of a piezo pickup sound.
Also, when you're playing "live", you're most likely listening to an all-analogue signal, vs a digitally-converted signal in your recording.

Why not simply use the Zooms' mics for your recording? Why would you bypass the mics by plugging the board direct into the Zoom?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 AM

I knew a guy once with this very complaint. He explained it this way. "When I listen to my recordings, I'm sober..."

cotten
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Because when you're playing live, you're hearing the natural acoustics of the guitar (because it's only 18 inches from your ears) mixed in with the amplified sound. The audience doesn't hear that.
Hi Marshall...
Not entirely true. Depending on the venue, good guitars project into the room along with the amplified signal so we do hear some of the guitar sounds.

More to the point...
That being said, when we listen live we don't listen with our ears as much as we listen with our brains. Our brain uses the ears, eyes, etc. to collect information, and tunes out distracting sounds (like refrigerators, traffic, etc) and we tend to not take much note of little mistakes.

When we listen to recordings we primarily use our ears, and hear every mistake and take note of less-than-ideal tone. In fact if we have a recording with a mistake in it, we start anticipating it and wincing ahead of time.

It's why we record with mics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell