The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Zeppelin's Plant fails to hit high notes

don't be surprised if it gets canceled altogether...................

Quote:
Legendary rock band Led Zeppelin is rearranging its tracks since lead singer Robert Plant is struggling to hit high notes.

The band has been rehearsing the songs in lower key as the 59-year old Plant is struggling with his voice, which has become deeper, online edition of the Sun reported.

A source revealed, "He and guitarist Jimmy Page have had a few heated discussions about the upcoming gig. Jimmy is a bit rusty and Robert has been struggling with high notes. To avoid any embarrassing vocal wobbles with the world watching, they decided it would be best to transpose the songs in a lower key."

The band will perform at London's O2 arena Dec 10 for the first time after 19 years.
Zeppelin's Plant fails to hit high notes
Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 AM

Well knock me over with a feather

FWIW, I'm still waiting for Page to do that tour with the Black Crowes... it was cancelled a couple years ago when Page's back went out. Bummer, that woulda rocked.

Another bulletin: Springsteen can't hit those high notes anymore either
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Well, I'd still go see the show, if that were posible. I wouldn't fault him for having to transpose down. He's still Plant and I'll bet it will be awesome anyway!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Hi Louie...
Many of us who sing have to adjust down a bit as we age if we pushed the limits of range when young.

It's not much different than a golfer modifying his/her game as they age, or other athletes learning to compensate with age.

I don't fault him for transposing down...just part of the process.

A senior golfer might be able to hit some 320 yard drives by pulling out the stops...but that might not be all he pulled. An aging singer can still hit the notes a time or two...and there is a painful price to be paid when I do.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Wish I could blame age for my singing voice
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM

There is no shame in changing the key of a piece of music to account for aging. I know many artists who can't hit the high notes like they used to, myself included!

Some pros, like Elton John for instance may not always change the key they just hit different notes than they did in the original version.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Some pros, like Elton John for instance may not always change the key they just hit different notes than they did in the original version.
Sounds like the ticket to the Zep issue to me.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

On John Denver's Wildlife Concert DVD, he lowered the key of "Sunshine On My Shoulders" to make it easier for him.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 PM

but seriously, folks ...

I saw Steve Windwood a couple years ago, and he definitely had transposed Can't Find My Way Home to a more comfortable key. FWIW, it didn't take away at all from it being a great show

& for the record, I'd sure go see Page & Plant & the current version of Zeppelin... I just need some large coin to fall out of the sky to afford the ticket. Heck I could barely afford the plane fare across the pond ...
Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 PM

That article is pretty weak. "A source revealed" never really strikes me as being something I should believe.

As far as Plant not being able to hit the notes he did when he was 19, there is really not much news there.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach bob View Post
but seriously, folks ...

I saw Steve Windwood a couple years ago, and he definitely had transposed Can't Find My Way Home to a more comfortable key. FWIW, it didn't take away at all from it being a great show

& for the record, I'd sure go see Page & Plant & the current version of Zeppelin... I just need some large coin to fall out of the sky to afford the ticket. Heck I could barely afford the plane fare across the pond ...
FWIW - Ian Astbury of The Cult told a radio guy here after a recent show that they just signed to "open up for Led Zeppelin on their US tour."
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
That article is pretty weak. "A source revealed" never really strikes me as being something I should believe.

As far as Plant not being able to hit the notes he did when he was 19, there is really not much news there.
While I don't doubt that it is true, and as I said wouldn't care - I also know there must have been a lot of reporters out there just dying to jump all over that and report it -
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach bob View Post
Well knock me over with a feather

FWIW, I'm still waiting for Page to do that tour with the Black Crowes... it was cancelled a couple years ago when Page's back went out. Bummer, that woulda rocked.
You slept through your chance. They toured together when the Crowes were young, in the early-mid 90's. He really couldn't hit the notes then either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell