The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 AM

Default I'll Be Back - Beatles Cover

My cover of The Beatles song I'll Be back. I had to tune way down to be able to sing this one.
And I had to hire those two backup singers again!
Good thing they work for free! But since I only have one mic they had to sing their parts one at a time over my original video audio!
(all vocals are real human (me) singing, no computer effects are used)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xn4bnLjQKA

P.S. I just turned 48 years young today!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Default cool

Very cool, I have always loved the old Beatles stuff, what are you using to record with?
1995 Taylor 814CE
2002 Tacoma AJF22CE
2002 Seagull 20th Anniversary
2003 Martin Felix (don't ask)
2005 Martin J-12-15
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Cool

Very nice! I sing this one, too...I love the beginning and ending A to Am strumming...I've thought about tuning down for it, but I can still just manage it in standard...sometimes, I think George Martin sped up the soundtrack, just enough to make the high notes cut through the mix a bit more, but just short of making them sound like the Chipmunks!!

Or, maybe I'm just gettin' older and all (56)...

Anyway, thanks for the song! (I'm on my second copy of the Beatles "Fake" book--wore the old one out!)
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxson50 View Post
Very cool, I have always loved the old Beatles stuff, what are you using to record with?
Thanks! see that microphone? That's what I use to record with. I plug it directly into my Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music soundcard
in audio creation mode and record a 24/96 wav during the shooting of the video. I then take that original recording and overdub additional vocals onto it using the mic and the record "what u hear" setting so when I hit the software record button it record both the wav playback and my singing. I wear headphones to listen to the playback while I sing. I do this many times over until I'm happy with it and then sometimes I will go back and choose a version with less voices on it.

Very simple, cheap and effective. No additional software needed and no expensive recording equipment.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
Very nice! I sing this one, too...I love the beginning and ending A to Am strumming...I've thought about tuning down for it, but I can still just manage it in standard...sometimes, I think George Martin sped up the soundtrack, just enough to make the high notes cut through the mix a bit more, but just short of making them sound like the Chipmunks!!

Or, maybe I'm just gettin' older and all (56)...

Anyway, thanks for the song! (I'm on my second copy of the Beatles "Fake" book--wore the old one out!)
Thanks! Yes George Martin used all kinds of recording tricks to make that music. I did the best I could given that I had just one acoustic guitar and a microphone. I couldn't manage proper harmony vocals so I settled for a combination of lead and harmony parts sung in unison.

I use "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook". I thas every song in it transposed in the correct key and designed for playing the songs solo acoustic. The best book I have found for Beatles stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell