The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Tip for Soundboard Transducer Application

I just thought I'd offer this tip for those of you who need to experiment with soundboard transducer placement before you superglue or otherwise attach your pickup to your soundboard. Forgive me if this idea has previously been posted.

I had used up my manufacturer-supplied lot of adhesive tape and needed something strong and clean to check PU placement. I decided to try the double-sided tape used to affix weatherizing plastic to home windows, sold at Wal-Mart and other stores. It's Duck brand, very thin and has a very good tack. My main complaint is that it takes 2 to 3 widths of the tape to cover a transducer surface (i.e it's approximately the thickness and width of the average Scotch tape). With a properly cleaned transducer and soundboard, I've yet to have a piece let go once the transducer is applied (it's resistant to weather, I suppose). I'm VERY impressed with the aural clarity of this tape, which is more transparent (some might find it TOO transparent to highs) than the adhesive I was using. It might be a good substitute for superglue for you K&K users who might be hesitant to glue the pickup on. It's easy to roll off the transducer as well. I just thought I'd pass this on. Regards to all, BTF.

Last edited by BTF; 11-07-2007 at 11:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification