The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Default New amp but only acoustic guitar

Hey all. A fairly new acoustic guitarist here. I recently ordered a Crate 15 cimmaron acoustic amp. It was a Bstock regularly 150.00 but got it for 119.00.

The problem is that I had every intention of buying a Washburn guitar D10q with electronics. But when I walked into Sam Ash I walked out with an Acoustic only Takamine. GS330S. The sound was just too good. I love cedar man.

Well anyhow the amp arrived today. My question is this. Is there any way to utilize this thing or should i send it back. I think I'll have to pay shipping so I may just try to sell it locally but if I can get my music mic'd through this thing i will do it. But only if it makes sense. Can you guys help me on this one?

Also I'm planning on getting a Zoom h2 for recording. would I be able to use that as the mic into the Crate acoustic amp?

Thanks

OB
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Hey all. A fairly new acoustic guitarist here. I recently ordered a Crate 15 cimmaron acoustic amp. It was a Bstock regularly 150.00 but got it for 119.00.

The problem is that I had every intention of buying a Washburn guitar D10q with electronics. But when I walked into Sam Ash I walked out with an Acoustic only Takamine. GS330S. The sound was just too good. I love cedar man.

Well anyhow the amp arrived today. My question is this. Is there any way to utilize this thing or should i send it back. I think I'll have to pay shipping so I may just try to sell it locally but if I can get my music mic'd through this thing i will do it. But only if it makes sense. Can you guys help me on this one?

Also I'm planning on getting a Zoom h2 for recording. would I be able to use that as the mic into the Crate acoustic amp?

Thanks

OB
Good question? Bump for experienced advice as I really cant say?
Welcome to the AGF OhioBuckeye! Someone will grab this and help you out!

Sammy
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM

I'm not really sure why they make acoustic amps that small. You really don't need an amp to practice at home and it will be inadequate for most live situations. As for using it for recording, you are better off micing the guitar directly.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi OBuckeye...
Boy, I'd hang onto it for sure. It is the perfect size for a stage amp, and if you need to interface it with a PA later, you could purchase a Behringer direct box which permits you to plug a speaker out into it and converts it to XLR balanced line signal...or you could run the guitar signal through the DI, and take a 1/4'' to the amp and the XLR to the snake - works well both ways.

This one - click would do the trick.

What the Behringer DIs do that others don't is permit up to a 3000Watt speaker out signal to be plugged in and converted to line level - whereas most DIs only handle preamplified (line) out signals.

I love the small single 8'' acoustic amps. They sound very natural and are light and portable. We discovered years ago (totally by accident) that 8'' speakers reproduce acoustic guitar very accurately.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Larry,

At this point I need answers to some simple questions. I don't even know how i can use this amp. If I had an electric/acoustic then no problem.

But I have an acoustsic only. I really don't want to add any electronics to the guitar. So I'm thinking the only way I'll keep it is if I can mic my guitar. Meaning a microphone in front of the guitar and then connect the mic to the amp.

Is that possible do you think? The inputs are 1/4 Hi-V inputs. I don't see any good microphones made with that. Is there some way to convert and XLR to plug into this interface?

Thanks

OB
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
...Is that possible do you think? The inputs are 1/4 Hi-V inputs. I don't see any good microphones made with that. Is there some way to convert and XLR to plug into this interface?
Hi OB...
Yes, adapters are made. Live play with mics is dicey...

I'd suggest if you are not going to have electronics put in the guitar, and can send it back to do so. You can always find an acoustic amp later if you acquire an acoustic or a pickup.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

What do you plan to use the guitar amp for? Are you planning on doing some live situations or is it just for recording? If you are going to play live, I would just mic it through a PA. I don't see much use for using an amp for playing at home. That Zoom H2 looks interesting but I don't have any experience with it to know whether it is any good or not. If you are getting that, I would just mic the guitar directly with it. It looks like it has a USB for recording with a computer.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification