The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Buying myself a little birthday gift

My birthday is this month and I'm not getting any younger folks! Went into my LGS and found a lovely 2006 new/old-stock 410 LTD, spruce and walnut with maple binding. The walnut is lighter in color and the back is three piece with a gorgeous maple center piece. I'll tell you too, she really sings!! I was hooked from the first chord! The lows are rich but not muddied and the highs have just enough crispness without being twangy. Couple that with the fact that she's got the expression system (no cutaway though but I don't play up the fretboard high enough for it to make a difference) and the price is really good and I decided to put her on layaway.

Sure, I have enough guitars but I don't have walnut
Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Congrats Linda!
"98" Taylor 855
"70" Martin D35
"01" Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
"08" Paul Reed Smith Semi Hollow SE Custom
"83" Fender Telecaster
"86" Fender Stratocaster plus
"94" Fender Jazz Bass

MESA Caliper 50+ Amp
http:www.myspace.com/jeffreiner
Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 PM

I thought you would really splurge and go with the Martin Artinger.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 PM

Trying to justify THAT one

I still want it.....

Will save some money from jewelry sales. That one I can order. The LTD is harder to find off the rack, so to speak. That's my justification and I'm sticking to it Plus the 410 is 1/2 the price of the Artinger!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM

I would like to have some walnut, too. The two 414 walnut LTDs that I played both sounded VERY nice. I didn't have my GSRS with me to compare either of them with to know whether I could be satisfied with only walnut instead of rosewood -- can't afford both.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Judging by the size of your family, another stray should feel right at home, and walnut is a nice addition to any decor.

Don't forget that Artinger 1; I love mine. Having to thin the herd to pay for it, but then I had too many guitars anyway.

Best wishes for a happy day.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM

You can have too many? I know I'm a collector at heart, so I try to buy used for that reason.

A friend of mine asked me for a count today. I asked him how many bottles of wine he had in that custom cellar of his and told him it could be worse, I could be collecting men I do play each one I have though, save for the Liberty Tree Baby, which is more of a piece of art for me. The regular Baby is for the kids to noodle about with. The Big Baby is my travel/beater. I left the Takamine at the Cape house as my beach beater.

I haven't forgotten that Artinger. I'm hoping maybe that there might be used one or two kicking around by spring. My local shop does layaway for three months so I want to have saved up at least half before I put one aside. That walnut just spoke to me though, both in looks and in sound. The maple binding is honestly to die for!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMHaynes View Post
I would like to have some walnut, too. The two 414 walnut LTDs that I played both sounded VERY nice. I didn't have my GSRS with me to compare either of them with to know whether I could be satisfied with only walnut instead of rosewood -- can't afford both.
I'll tell you Ken, the price is great for that 410e. They had two in shop, I put one away. The sustain on both was incredible. I only chose the one I did on looks - had a bit wilder grain on the back and was lighter. I like a medium-toned walnut. Soundwise, they each sounded lovely. I made sure to have Mike play them for me as well since he's better and I could see the potential
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Hi Linda What a nice addition to your collection. My birthday is almost 5 months ahead. It's time to think about a present for myself, isn't it?
612C COTTEN little sister
XXMC i'm sensitive
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Me too~ My birthday is in the next week, and i bought a 414ce LTD rosewood~
Old 09-08-2007, 05:20 AM

nice catch linda i 've always wanted a walnut since playing one and happy birthday.i always buy myself something musical for my birthday to.digital recorder one year the garrison g40 another year and the cocobolo t5 last year.i bought 2 condensor mikes today and still waiting for my new 910ce or 810 ce.the international distributor better hurry up only two days left or i'll have to buy a belated birthday present.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I almost bought a 410 LTD prior to getting my 810. I love my 810 and regret purchasing it, but that walnut 410 was really something special. Happy birthday and enjoy..........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-08-2007, 07:24 AM

Well thanks guys! It's hard not to feel indulgent, but heck, I earned the money! What's nice is to see is the kids all just picking up a guitar and fooling about. My sunroom/living room space is running a nice constant 55% humidity so the guitars have come out on stands to play! It's a lot of fun when the kids have their friends over too. I'm in the process of converting the playroom next to the home theatre into a teenage hangout for the kids. Putting a couple electrics down there, some drums, amps, keyboards...let them just jam! They're bucking for a pinball machine as well....we'll see

My son's taking lessons at school but the best they can provide is a teacher who can't play but feels she can teach because she took classes on how to teach. Sigh. My son says the school guitar has bad strings, etc. At least he gets to practice on the Big Baby! I think I'll be signing him up for private lessons as well....
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
My son's taking lessons at school but the best they can provide is a teacher who can't play but feels she can teach because she took classes on how to teach. Sigh. My son says the school guitar has bad strings, etc. At least he gets to practice on the Big Baby! I think I'll be signing him up for private lessons as well....
Went through this with my son playing trumpet, and I can tell you that a few private lessons will really kickstart his program. Too often, the school system music teachers are not experts in the child's instrument, and the poor teacher is trying to teach 18-24 different kids, all learning at a different pace with different attention spans, all at the same time. A little one on one will do your son wonders, and really ought to help motivate him to get into it.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 PM

I've thought quite a bit about getting one of the walnut 410s, but I think I'm gonna hold out for an R. Taylor walnut/redwood.

If the settlement ever comes through, that is...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion