The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Martin OM-28V and Santa Cruz OM

I was originally going to purchase a Martin OM-28V, but now I'm also considering a Santa Cruz OM. How do Santa Cruz OMs (standard OM or OM/PW) compare with a Martin OM-28V in tone, playability, and feel?

I can't find a shop that sells both to do a comparison, so I was hoping to hear some generalizations between the two to narrow the search.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

http://www.thepodium.com/, they have sound clips of all the guitars. it's nothing like playing in person but it helps somewhat. have you played the santa cruz before? IMO it's something you gotta try yourself to make a call on. even if you don't have the chance to play them side by side, being able to play both will be a great aid in your decision making process
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM

I've owned both--also sold both as I'm just a lover of dread to jumbo sized guitars. I can give you some generalities about the two guitars I owned.

Both Sitka topped, with Indian Rosewood back and sides.

The Martin was dark, thick, and rich. Really quite a wonderful guitar. Strummed very well, beautiful for fingerstyle. No downsides to the tone if that dark, rich tone is what you want. Very nice.

The Santa Cruz had more definition and was more responsive, with a different tone. More midrange and more clarity. More separation between its tight, thumping bass and the clear trebles than on the Martin, which was more of a blended tone altogether.

Honestly, though I'm a big fan of Santa Cruz and have an exceptional Tony Rice that is better than any Martin dread I've owned, I think I preferred the Martin OM between those two guitars. I just loved the tone, and it did everything well with no surprises. I found the SC so responsive that for me, a less than accomplished guitarist, it was harder to control.

The Martin was more straight ahead and simple with wonderful tone. The Santa Cruz was more complex and responsive, with better separation and clarity, and also a beautiful tone. I'd have either guitar back in a world where my wife wanted the house to have 10 guitars in it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Hawg said it well.

Both wonderful guitars in their own right, and I would add Collings to the mix as well and Goodall.

I'm a Martin guy, have OM's and Dreads, but it doesn't stop me for one minute from appreciating Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall and Froggies, etc.

Let you ears decide, ignore the name on the headstock.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Alderash,
Three spot on replies.

Let me just add that, as a botique built guitar, the Santa Cruzes, Collings etc are going to have a much higher probablitly of being excellent than a factory built Martin. I am not saying that Martin does not produce many excellent guitars, I merely pointing out that they produce 1000x more guitars in an assembly environment that does not allow for thoughtful attention to each guitar, there are going to be alot more less than great guitars.

If you can play them first, that is the best way to go by far, but, if you are ordering via internet or whatever, I would go with a botiuqe built guitar every time.

Last edited by El Conquistador; 09-05-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM

El Conquistador,

I do not disagree, but that also means when you do get a great Martin you are not paying the small boutique builder premium.

So, it is probably "safer" to buy a high end boutique guitar without playing/hearing it versus a Martin, but if you can audition some Martins and find one of the jewels...bingo!

Alderash,

If you are already considering a Martin OM-28V, I would recommend you PLAY/HEAR a Martin OM-28 Marquis (fantastic guitars, Adi top), use that as your Martin benchmark, then play every boutique OM you can gets your hands on, and again, let your ears decide.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Eric Skye

I think the the SCGC OM and Martin OM28v are similar because of the bracing. The OM/PW and OM28 Marquis are comparable because they too share similar bracing. I prefer the later two by quite a bit.

I own the OM/PW. I prefer it to Santa Cruz’s standard OM because the it’s a more open sounding guitar. The Standard OM is a tighter sounding guitar-very much like like a Collings OM2h, which many players love.

As for the OM/PW vs the OM28 Marquis, that’s a tough one. If there was no OM/PW it would either be a Marquis or a Bourgeois OM for me.

Since I own a D18GE I can say for sure there is something about a Martin with an red spruce top. The OM/PW is sitka, but I truly don’t wish it had any more tone going on. I love that guitar-light as a potato chip, and loud as OM I’ve ever played.

The Marquis and PW share the same stats in terms of nut and bridge spacing, both of which have my own preference, of 1 3/4 and 2 3/16 respectively. But the Marquis, like my GE, has a very beefy neck that some might be turned off by. My PW, and most regular SCGC OM’s I’ve played, has what a lot of players might call excellent playability.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
El Conquistador,

I do not disagree, but that also means when you do get a great Martin you are not paying the small boutique builder premium.

So, it is probably "safer" to buy a high end boutique guitar without playing/hearing it versus a Martin, but if you can audition some Martins and find one of the jewels...bingo!

I looks as if we agree completely. You make the other side of the point.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 PM

I have mixed feelings about Martin OMs. No two seem to sound alike. On some, the bass is really boomy. On some it sounds muted. The Santa Cruz's that I've played have been very crisp and lively. Plenty of bass without the boominess. I'd have to a/b them to be sure.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Another guitar you might want to add to these suggestions would be a Breedlove Revival OM-R Deluxe. These guitars sound great and are an incredible value.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Another guitar you might want to add to these suggestions would be a Breedlove Revival OM-R Deluxe. These guitars sound great and are an incredible value. Sorry about the duplicate post but here is the info.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/inst...uxe/index.html
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Alderash,
Three spot on replies.

Let me just add that, as a botique built guitar, the Santa Cruzes, Collings etc are going to have a much higher probablitly of being excellent than a factory built Martin. I am not saying that Martin does not produce many excellent guitars, I merely pointing out that they produce 1000x more guitars in an assembly environment that does not allow for thoughtful attention to each guitar, there are going to be alot more less than great guitars.

If you can play them first, that is the best way to go by far, but, if you are ordering via internet or whatever, I would go with a botiuqe built guitar every time.
If you're ever in the vicinity of Nazareth, PA, take a tour of the Martin "factory". They're certainly not producing 1000x the output of Santa Cruz or Collings, more for sure but nowhere near that. Its more like hand made than factory built, they just use more hands than most others. Must be some reason they've been around for 174 years.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=107277

You might want to consider this one from the AGF classifieds.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Four years ago when I began looking for an OM, I played just about every brand I could get my hands on. I was just about settled on a Santa Cruz Standard OM after comparing it to a Martin OM 28V. The Santa Cruz OM is a really nice guitar and played as well as any guitar I've ever picked up. It was also well balanced tone-wise. Then, the shop owner brought out one more Martin OM from storage and, after playing it for a few minutes, I was sold. I never really knew what was meant by the "Martin Tone" until I played this guitar.

The moral of the story...no two guitars sound or even play the same. You really need to try as many as you can. Don't get in a hurry. Eventually, one will stand out and you will know that it is the one you'll have to take home. If I had not played the second Martin, I know I would have been happy with the Santa Cruz. Shopping is half the fun of buying a guitar. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion