The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Guild acoustic/electrics vs. Taylor

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on Guild acoustic/electric guitars? I am looking for a guitar upgrade I know someone selling their '99 Guild DCE5 for a reasonable price. How do these compare to the Taylor 314CE and 414Ce models, (I am also looking at two of these Used for sale near me)?
I would like to find something with a big sound and strong mids and lows since I play some bluegrass and flatpick as well as standard rock stuff. I've heard that the Taylors don't project well unless they are plugged in due to the smaller body.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
R
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM

You should check out the Breedloves. I posted this thread recently (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=107022), and there is a test clip you can listen to as well as pics of the one I just bought.

And the price is about two thirds the price of a Taylor 310CE.

You should check them out.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 PM

IMO the thin acoustic Guilds such as the DC5 are fine plugged in but they are meant to be plugged in. They're too shallow to throw much volume unplugged.

'87 Guild GF-60
'01 Guild F-47CE
'02 Guild F-47RCE
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
A Santa Fe Artist

Well, you can get the the Jumbos or Dreadnaughts with the D-Tar system and I think they sound great. And I think the Guilds give you better value for the buck too.

The Artist's Mission Blog
Coastland Tampa
My MySpace

Cornerstone SJ #007 - Camatillo/Sinker Redwood
Taylor 815c 1984 Lemon Grove - Brazilian/Sitka
Yamaha LL-11 - Beach Guitar - EIR/Engelmann
Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB
Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Plugged in, it's about the pickup system and the amp, not the guitar. Unplugged, I really like the 414 out of that set of choices, but I understand the new Guilds are an amazing bang for the buck.

Let your ears decide...

Tim
Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljogger View Post
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on Guild acoustic/electric guitars? I am looking for a guitar upgrade I know someone selling their '99 Guild DCE5 for a reasonable price. How do these compare to the Taylor 314CE and 414Ce models, (I am also looking at two of these Used for sale near me)?
I would like to find something with a big sound and strong mids and lows since I play some bluegrass and flatpick as well as standard rock stuff. I've heard that the Taylors don't project well unless they are plugged in due to the smaller body.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
R
I think you need to go more with the dread or Jumbo for strong strumming, so if you are looking at a Taylor, the 410ce is a Dread and you can hit it hard as well. I owned one for a little bit, the only reason I got rid of it was because the Dreads just don't sit right for me on my Lap when I play, so I went and got a GS

Larrivee is another guitar line you should look at.

Tx
Jerry
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljogger View Post
...I would like to find something with a big sound and strong mids and lows since I play some bluegrass and flatpick as well as standard rock stuff.
Hi R...
Then it sounds like you'd be better off with something with a strong voice and larger lower bout than the GC sized Taylors.

I missed when you joined, so Welcome to the group!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion