The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Taylor 714 vs GA7

What are the major differences in construction, tone & playability? Why does the GA retail for so much less? They look almost identical on Taylor's site, except no electronics in the GA's.

Our local GC's don't seem to stock any of the GA models so I haven't been able to play one yet. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM

The 714 (no C no E) is now called a GA7 (pure acoustic). If you add a cut-away, I don't think it adds to the price much? The ES however adds several hundred dollars to the price.

The GA size seems to most popular alongh with the ES so the GC here mainly stocks x14s as well. They do have x10s and a few other shapes but mostly I see x14CEs.

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Look closer into details. They are quite different in appointments if you will.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethertones View Post
What are the major differences in construction, tone & playability?...
The GA7 has the thickness of the wood optimized for rosewood. The 714 uses the standard wood thickness that Taylor has been using for quite some time. In other words, the wood thickness of a 514, 614 and 714 are all the same, while the wood thickness varies from a GA5 to GA6 to GA7. Other construction features are the same accross both lines and playability should be the same. As far as tone, the GA7 may have the potential to sound a bit better but I have no doubt that from time to time one may find a 714 that wounds better than a a given GA7.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

The main structural difference is the wood thickness, as Herb pointed out. The big price difference is due to the difference in appointments.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

For what it's worth, there is a 4 figure difference between the 714CE in the Acoustic / Electric series and the GA7 in the Acoustic series! As standard models, if you want a cutaway, you have to order it as a 714 and if you want it w/o the cutaway, you have to order it as a GA7. Either model can be ordered with or W/O the ES.

To mirror what others have said, the Acoustic series models backs, sides, and tops are thicknessed based on wood type to enhance the acoustic tone, whereas the A/E series are thicknessed based on body style no matter what the wood combo.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
The main structural difference is the wood thickness, as Herb pointed out. The big price difference is due to the difference in appointments.
AND the big difference in the price is due to Taylor Guitars deciding to re-align their guitar line, and separate the all-acoustic models from the more performace-oriented CE models.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 09-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing and swooning over a GA7 at Guitar Works in Richmond, VA. It has a great tone, and I'm partial to the sound of large body guitars.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM

So really what I'm getting from everyone's comments is that the GA series potentially is the better sounding acoustic... Would you all agree?

Mainly what you pay extra for with the x14 series is wood binding versus Ivoriod, and nicer inlays?

If all a person cares about is tone, is there really any reason to pay the extra cash? Do they possibly use higher graded tops in the x14 series?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM

I would venture a guess that the wood grading would be no different between the series, again, keeping in mind that grading only addresses cosmetics, and not tonal quality. Perhaps the 900 series, having no acoustic line counterpart, might get higher-graded (cosmetically, mind you) woods than the other models. Of course, the best grades would be reserved for the Presentation series (not to mention R.Taylor).

In the final analysis, if you're all about tone, the acoustic series is probably the way to go. If you need to plug in to perform, you can either include the ES or some other after-market pickup. If you prefer fancier appointments, there's always the custom route. Hope this helps!

1997 Taylor Cujo 14 (RED cedar/BLACK walnut)
1999 Larrivee OM 10K (sitka spruce/reserve koa)
2001 Taylor 514e (engelmann spruce/mahogany)
2003 Taylor Pelican-LTD (sitka spruce/myrtlewood)
Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethertones View Post
So really what I'm getting from everyone's comments is that the GA series potentially is the better sounding acoustic... Would you all agree?

Mainly what you pay extra for with the x14 series is wood binding versus Ivoriod, and nicer inlays?

If all a person cares about is tone, is there really any reason to pay the extra cash? Do they possibly use higher graded tops in the x14 series?
I think just the opposite. The top on the fully acoustics is supposed to have the optimum thickness. If you don't need electrics or play down the neck, go with the GA7. It's really a great sounding guitar.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Thank you all... Of course I'll have to play a few to be sure, but I appreciate the info everyone has given.

On a side note... From reading about the GS, it almost sounds like it might be a sound I'd prefer, so I'm going to try that series now too.

What are people's opinion about the GA vs the GS series?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
The top on the fully acoustics is supposed to have the optimum thickness.
No, this is a mistake that some of us, myself included, made earlier. In the acoustic line it's the sides whose thickness varies depending on the wood used; in the acoustic-electric line it's body shape that determines wood thickness. See Wood & Steel Winter 07 p.16, though even here it's not as clear as it could be.

Note added a few minutes later: on a second reading of that text, it's just as confusing as ever. The text appears to say that there is a standard thickness for tops and sides that varies depending on the wood - so you'd think both tops and sides are affected. But it then goes on to exemplify this by saying that "the thicknesses of mahogany, maple, and rosewood sides will all vary" - no mention of standard topwoods like spruce and cedar. And since you wouldn't think the sides would affect the tone much, you wonder what the big deal is.

Richard

Last edited by re17; 09-10-2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: To make meaning more confusing :)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion