The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM
saffron_boots

Default Bensusan dumping Ryan guitars?

"Pierre has thoroughly enjoyed playing his Ryan guitar but feels it is time to try different luthiers."

http://pierrebensusan.com/modules.ph...howpage&pid=74

I wonder who the next victim will be?.. heh heh. Honestly, having played this guitar, I much preferred his "signature" Lowden (the SLE, not the "Ol' Lady") and was (surprisingly) disappointed by its tone.

I can't hazard a guess of how much this thing will cost somebody...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 AM

I've been getting e-mails about the sale, as well. The first e-mail didn't contain the info about trying different luthiers, but I guess they were asked about that issue a lot. I'll be curious to see what builder Pierre ends up working with.

I did play a new Lowden yesterday that I would prefer to own over any of the Ryans I've played. Too bad the price on it was pushing into the Ryan range.

Bryan
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
sharp_custom

I just go the asking price....It would be much cheaper to get a comparable one from Kevin.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
saffron_boots

There's the deal he has with Michael Greenfield for the archtop hybrid due the end of September (The Altiplanos) when he's in Montreal, but I can't see that being his main guitar. I mean, if the Ryan sells quickly, he'll need SOMETHING for the upcoming gigs...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi sb...
A couple years ago David Wilcox came out on stage at a concert I attended and it went something like this:

David:
''Hi, my name is David..''
Audience:
''Hi David''
David:
''...and I have a problem. I don't know how many guitars I own...and I don't know where some of them are.''

Seems he loves to have his instruments played, so a couple of his Olsons have been frequent visitors of Al and Amy Petteway, and other of his instruments visit friends of his who are players around the industry.

I know many players who own a dozen instruments, and some are public and others stay at home to play there and in studio. Lots of players own a variety of high end instruments made by different builders.

It's not like every player out there is only welded-at-the-hip to a single builder or only-one-guitar. Many players have a diverse array of instruments. And they choose them for a lot of reasons having to do with their style, playability and how well they hold up to road conditions.

And the sometimes sell them to make room for others. I like the fact they'd sell them rather than keep them and not play them. Seems like a great opportunity for someone to get their hands on a great guitar.

I'm more interested in what Pierre is playing than what he's playing it on.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Perennially Maladroit

I think the term 'dumping Ryan guitars" is a bit of hyperbole. The guy enjoyed the guitar for over 4 years and so, like a lot of 'creative' musicians, wants to try something different on a new CD, so is now offering his Ryan for sale.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I think the term 'dumping Ryan guitars" is a bit of hyperbole. The guy enjoyed the guitar for over 4 years and so, like a lot of 'creative' musicians, wants to try something different on a new CD, so is now offering his Ryan for sale.
Well put, Kevin...
And much shorter than my post which was trying to say a similar thing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
"Big Daddy"

I wonder if Ryan will continue to sell the Bensusan model guitar?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Kevin and LJ, Well said!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckejoel View Post
I wonder if Ryan will continue to sell the Bensusan model guitar?
Hi Mckejoel...
I bet if someone wants a guitar like that 2 years from now, Kevin will build it for them, no matter what the model number is.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM
saffron_boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I think the term 'dumping Ryan guitars" is a bit of hyperbole.
Exactly. It's just a title - get the blood flowing.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM
saffron_boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

It's not like every player out there is only welded-at-the-hip to a single builder or only-one-guitar. Many players have a diverse array of instruments. And they choose them for a lot of reasons having to do with their style, playability and how well they hold up to road conditions.

And the sometimes sell them to make room for others. I like the fact they'd sell them rather than keep them and not play them. Seems like a great opportunity for someone to get their hands on a great guitar.

Very true and I do agree. However, it could be stated that many builders' (luthiers and big companies) reputations are married to WHO plays their guitars and not necessarily the calibre of the instrument themselves.

BTW, as far as Ryan is concerned, I DO like the sound of Joost's two instruments from his videos. So that's 2 out of 3. Winner!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
It's not like every player out there is only welded-at-the-hip to a single builder or only-one-guitar.
While that is definitely true, some guitarists are much more loyal to guitars/builders. Pierre played a Lowden for a very, very long time before the Ryan. Parting ways with Ryan in favor of another builder is pretty significant for Pierre, at least in how I see it. To publicly announce the sale and intent to find a new builder is also interesting.

Quote:
I definitely agree with that. He played a Goodall when I studied with him and sounded like Pierre.

Bryan
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I was speaking with Kevin yesterday and while in no way would I add to gossip on either side of the relationship, it's fair to say that each party had his own needs and objectives with respect to the business relationship, and I would hazzard to guess that those needs weren't in sync. And they have respectfully parted ways. I have to give them both credit for how professionally they are handling it. It speaks volumes about the quality of both people.

It was my intent to buy a PB. As of Sept 1st, Kevin no longer offers this model. I think I missed it by a day. Odd that. It is now removed from his web site. But you can pretty much create what you want with Kevin regardless. Through his options.

As for the tone. I think the tone of this wood combo is outstanding and to suggest that Pierre didn't think so after playing one for four years would be somewhat shortsighted. Tone comes down to personal taste. I love the cedar / Braz combo on Kevin's guitars and played all of the guitars he took to the Guitar Festival in California - finding them all extremely playable. Wonderful builder. George has created some magic in his own right, but his operation is a little more small production line.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartb; 09-06-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I was speaking with Kevin yesterday and while in no way would I add to gossip on either side of the relationship, it's fair to say that each party had his own needs and objectives with respect to the business relationship, and I would hazzard to guess that those needs weren't in sync. And they have respectfully parted ways. ......

Stuart
Sounds very very familiar to what I had heard several years back when Bensusan switched over from his Lowden to Ryan.
I get the impression that Pierre has very specific ideas about what he wants out of his associations with builders...and on occasion this can lead to some disagreements.
Nobody is wrong..nobody is right. That's just life.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion