The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Default K & K Pickup-String Balance

I have a K & K pickup in my guitar that works well but I am not 100% satisfied with the volume of the high E string when amplified. My guess is that the one transducer needs to be repositioned closer to the E string.

Any comments on this situation and how to resolve it?
1973 Guild S-100, 2 Humbuckers
1967 Guild D-40, Original factory acoustic electric. The volume and tone controls are on the soundboard. Has Guild mag pickup at base of neck.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

You nailed it- experiment with the positioning of all 3 transducers (in the case of the PW mini) using the 2-sided tape. Once you get the optimal position located- pencil mark the spot, remove the tape & super glue them in place.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I make a jig and use it to put on the sensors - they end up right under the saddle and very much equally between each string. It has always worked perfectly for string balance.

You might also make sure your saddle is truly, completely flat. Variances in direct vibration can show up much more dramatically with SBT's.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 PM

My "G" string is noticeably weaker than any other string. I've been talking about this for a couple yrs now.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Eric Skye

I had my repair guy move them after they were glued in. Worked great. I think it was $50
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM

My Kronbauer has this on both E strings. It is (for this guitar design, anyway) a function of the bracing Trevor uses (A bracing). K&K mentions that if there are braces very near the sensor that it might not allow enough vibration to make the pickup "pick up". I just mix in a little mic and it sounds great. Probably, yours is just a positioning issue.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
My "G" string is noticeably weaker than any other string. I've been talking about this for a couple yrs now.
The core wire of the G is the lightest solid vibrating mass of all your strings (despite the wrap wire), which is why it also breaks more often for most people. Conversely, the B has the heaviest solid vibrating mass (thickest solid wire) and is usually the hottest unless your pickup compensates for it.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM

The K&K system is the best sounding pickup system I have used so far (this isn't disrespecting Rick Turner's system; I just haven't used it or heard it up to this point; I hope to in the future). I haven't had to use it in super-high volume situations, so I haven't had any problems with feedback unless the floor wedge is pointed right at me (and as I mentioned, I mix in some mic with the SBT signal, so the feedback is the mic, not the SBT's). I think you will be able to work out the problem.

Last edited by sirflyguy2000; 08-28-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 AM

Great input guys. I'm intrigued with what Wade was saying about the saddle. I was planning on replacing it anyway so I'll see if that makes a difference. The current saddle is a little wobbly when the strings are removed. Can't be a good thing.
1973 Guild S-100, 2 Humbuckers
1967 Guild D-40, Original factory acoustic electric. The volume and tone controls are on the soundboard. Has Guild mag pickup at base of neck.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Great input guys. I'm intrigued with what Wade was saying about the saddle. I was planning on replacing it anyway so I'll see if that makes a difference. The current saddle is a little wobbly when the strings are removed. Can't be a good thing.
Hi Fb...
I own four guitars with K&K Pure Western Mini, installed by a luthier, and not one of them has hot or weak string issues.

He has done probably 50 installs of K&K. One of the four is a Kronbauer mini-jumbo. n chatting with him, I think he is doing pretty much what Wade suggests.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM

There are three important concerns for installing the K&K PWM ...

1. transducer location - each mini should be situated directly on the saddle line and between a pair of strings

2. glue the transducers - don't use tape, and do a proper job of gluing (follow the K&K directions for using super glue)

3. use my jig method for the PWM installation! - it works perfectly, even for klutzes! http://frettech.com/kk/
Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DiStefano View Post
There are three important concerns for installing the K&K PWM ...

1. transducer location - each mini should be situated directly on the saddle line and between a pair of strings

2. glue the transducers - don't use tape, and do a proper job of gluing (follow the K&K directions for using super glue)

3. use my jig method for the PWM installation! - it works perfectly, even for klutzes! http://frettech.com/kk/
Rob:

I've used your jig method and website as a guide for three of my K&K installations so far and I'm happy to report it's all been great! Thanks for posting that for everyone.

Russ
Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 AM

From the K&K Web site:

The high E string seems to be lower in output. (Pure)

This is a tough one. First of all, this is not caused by a weak high string transducer. This phenomenon seems to happen only on guitars with tight X bracing. The brace closest to the high strings seems to inhibit the vibration on the high E string area of the bridgeplate. This seems to affect bridgeplate pickups in general. LR Baggs reports the same problem with their I-Beam.

Acoustically, these guitars sound fine and balanced, the phenomenon affects only the bridgeplate.It may be corrected by adding a fourth transducer beyond the X brace on the high string side. This one would be glued to the soundboard. Soldering is necessary here.

It may also help to relocate the e-b string transducer towards the high string side X brace as far as possible. These remedies may not correct the problem 100 percent.

The “surefire” way to correct this problem is to ad the K&K FanTaStick undersaddle pickup. This would mean upgrading to a PowerMix Pure system.

You could also try to add the Trinity Mic and aim the mic towards the high e string, but the additional undersaddle pickup is a lot more effective.

The good thing is that you do not need to blend in a lot of undersaddle pickup to amplify the e string. Unwanted undersaddle characteristics like quack or harsh tone will not show in the entire sound picture. It really works great!

Kronbauer TDK MJ
Taylor GC6
Taylor NS62ce
Gibson J-45 Rosewood Modern Classic
DiGiorgio Classic 28-1975
Digiorgio Guarany C2-1979
Washburn R 314K
Fender Telecaster '73
Feneder Stratocaster
Tacoma Thunder Chief Acoustic Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Daddy Mojo C5 Cigar Box
Kamoa Custom Shop 700 T Uke
Kamoa FM-T Uke
Martin Style 0 1944 Uke
Kala Acacia Tenor Uke
Washburn Banjolele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification