The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Green Mountain Guitars

Hi all,

Just wanted to post about my visit to Green Mountain Guitars this weekend.

I have a cabin in the next town and after reading some other posts about Glen Derusha and his guitar shop, I promised myself I'd make an effort to go check him out.

My wife and son along with another couple with their two boys where up in VT to take the kids to Story Land in NH on Friday, but Sat. we planned on just hangin out and relaxing playin some guitar.

To start off, I had called and talked to his wife Wendy first and she said he was out fishing with there son, but she'd have him give me a call when they got back in, I asked is it O.K. to stop by, which she said "yes" because "you REALLY need to come PLAY one of his guitars."

Like she said, he called and asked us what we were doing, and when I thought I could make it over, and how many of "us" where coming. I told him it was just me and my friend and we were just sitting on the porch playin. And it take about 20 Min. to get there. He says "come on down and bring your guitars" . . . so we do.

We get to his home and start to walk to the door when he yells thru the screen door, " don't come empty handed" ( we left the guitars in the car ) so we grab our stuff and walk in. He shakes are hands and we go thru the intros and then he brings us into the living room and tells us he's sorry cause he doesn't have any "good" one at the moment, but he got some beaters. I tell him that I'm in he market for a OM style ( at least thats what I was thinking ) because I like the feel of the wider nut.

Let me just some it up as this: His "Beaters" were hands down better then almost all the "Good" guitars I've played in the stores.
We then sit down and start testing out all his beaters, when his wife comes in and say's " I don't here any singing - you have to sing if your gonna play here." So I do. Then Glen does, Then we all do. Well, after three hours of all of us sitting and playing everything he had. I realize that its getting late, and we have to go. But now I have to rethink my neck axe. It might be a Jumbo with a wide nut, or the beautiful slope shoulder he's workin on in his shop. And I promised him I'd come by and check out his stuff everytime I come up, and he's trying to convince me to play at the open mic at Middle Earth Den, the local folk bar.

I can go on and on about how nice his stuff sounded and felt, but it would be easier and more enjoyable if you get a chance to do it yourself.

So in closing, I'd like to say "thank you" if Glen or Wendy check this Forum for their hospitality. It was a pleasure to spend time with all around "nice folks" and let everyone else know, If your in the market for an affordable custom, don't overlook Green Mountain Guitar.

This by no means implies other custom shops aren't any good, this is only the second luthiers shop I pesonally visited.

Take a look: www.greenmountainguitars.com

thanks for lookin,

Mike

Martin OM28V
Martin MMV
Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Cool, there's nothing like a visit to a lutier's shop. Sounds like you had a good time. I have wondered how his inexpensive guitars sound.

I stopped by Mike Baranik's shop this weekend. Big mistake! He had two guitars on his bench, both of which qualifiy as the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Now I have to figure out how to save up the money to get one.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

i am surprised to see that walnut WPC jumbo still hanging out waiting to be bought. used and a great price!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM

And again I say, for the most part, luthiers are some fine, fine people to get to know.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Mike...

if you play at Middle Earth let me know. I live right down the road and my bands (2) play there all the time...great place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion