The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Guitar case: funny smell inside?

I just bought a new guitar case at a local guitar store for my new full sized steel string acoustic guitar. It was $60 and there were more expensive ones.

It's a nice case, inside is very soft and supportive, but there is a funny smell inside (I guess it's the inside material. It smells wierd when I open it and I'm just afraid it will make my new guitar smell and lose the nice smell of wood that I love.

Anybody else experience this? Should I just forget about it and use it or buy another one or a more expensive one?

Last edited by Fins; 05-04-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Do you have a dog?

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 04-30-2007, 06:32 PM

"(made in Canada)" cherish that thought.
Just imagine (made in China) it's only a heartbeat away.

Calton "Canadian" is a rather nice case but they're a little more than $60 and nobody ever seems to complain about them anyway.

Regards, Jack
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 AM

could the smell come from the glue that holds the plush in place?

maybe it's just the smell of 'new-ness'...very much like how a new car smells!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 AM

I had the same problem with a no name case from guitar center. Leave it open for a few days. A lot of the smell will dissapate. Then get a box of baking soda. Pour it onto a plate, or wide bowel. Place that in the case, close, and leave it for a few days. If there is any lingering smell after you dispose of the baking soda repeat the process. I did it twice, with total odor elimination. Brian
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 AM

Thumbs up

I had the same issue with a Humicase - After a buch of research I came to the conclusion that it was the way the case was manufactured and the materials used - I left mine out to air, I tried silicon packets and baking soda, Fabreze, kitty litter .... etc etc - Eventually the smell will be less intense but it won't go away - That's simply how those cases are made - The case is a price point

Your guitar might very well pick up the aroma

If it bothers you take the guitar back to Guitar center and they should credit you out towards another case - They will most likely have to order you one

Here's a link to TKL cases - Good bang for the buck

http://www.tkl.com/
Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Get a can of Ozite. It's an air freshenor that contains ozone. Spray some inside the case and shut the case overnight. It should neutralize much of the smell. Repeat if necessary.

drive-south
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Untitled Traditional

+1 with leaving it open to air out then using baking soda. Also have heard that leaving it in the sun will help.

Almost got a case that smelled with my new Larrivee. Luckily, it was the wrong case for the guitar
Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 AM

I've heard a small bowl of charcoal left overnight in a shut case will do the trick, the charcoal will absorb the smell.....I had a bad smell in a truck I once owned and I put a bowl of charcoal on the floor board all day with the windows shut and later found that the smell was gone....I've never tried it with a guitar case but I don't know why it would'nt work.........

p.s. do not use charcoal that has lighter fluid already in it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Guitar case: funny smell inside?

I was tempted to say that it's always good for a few laughs, but decided against it.

I agree with murf's suggestion about airing it out thoroughly (being careful not to attract kitty's unwanted attention), perhaps in the sun, and then trying baking soda. You also might want to ask your local fire department what they would suggest - they might know how to help or who to recommend you contact. There are people who specialize in getting rid of the smoke smell after a fire.

cotten
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM

well I returned it. I couldn't stand the smell, I could smell it a few feet away even when it was closed. I couldn't put my new guitar in there and make it suffer in there. I looked at other cases and they all smell, no matter where they're made in. Why don't they use odor-less glue? Anyways, I'll pick another one up and try the baking soda method.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Well I bought a new case today and it has a very slight chemical glue smell, but it doesn't have the bad funny smell the first one had and it has a different inside material.
I put it outside under the sun now and I'm hoping a cat or a squirrel doesn't go pee in it. After that I'm gonna put a bowl of baking soda and leave it in overnight.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM

My case I got from Zager has a smell only when I have to humidify in the winter. I wonder if it is just the glue. My guitar picks up on the smell, but it goes away if its out for about half an hour. I am going to try the baking soda thing though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion