The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Untitled Traditional

Red face Eating crow doesn't taste half bad

Have to admit when I'm wrong. Big time. Had been not a big fan of Larrivee guitars. Based on trying out a very early D-03 and not liking the neck (too thin). And the sound being a bit "blah" at the time.

Well, that has changed. Due to some dissatisfaction with my Taylor 210-E, decided to find something to replace it. Nothing wrong with the Taylor. Just realized I wanted a more "traditional" sound. Had been trying to force the Taylor to be something it wasn't. Time for some serious negotiating with the wife. (Read as: begging and pleading on my knees.) Tried a few different guitars at my local GAS supplier (The Podium). This was the clear winner:

(Larrivee L-03 s/n 93xxx). The sound just jumps out of it. Compared it to a D-03 and this was louder and bigger sounding. One of my tests is to see if the guitar vibrates against my somewhat ample belly while I play. Not only does it with the back, but also the top. Nearly a first for me. And definitely a first for such an inexpensive guitar.

After listening to me play it, my wife basically insisted I purchase it. And who am I to disagree with such a wise person?

Installed a strap pin, bone (Colosi) saddle and ebony bridge pins.

Taken it to two old time jams so far. It's been a big hit. The volume is loud and clear enough to cut through, but it's also full sounding.

We'll see how long this keeps my GAS in remission. Hopefully a long time. As one fiddler said today, it's already nice sounding. Will be fun to see how the sound changes the more I play it.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM

Congrats on your new guiitar.........Good point about the guitar's vibrations. I look and listen for the same thing. At the moment I am fortunate enough to own four guitars that vibrate and ring on their own from picking-up sound vibrations from the stereo, radio, TV. After playing the chord, you can put your ear to the soundhole and the chord carries on and on. I've heard some great Larrivees. They take a backseat to no one. Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats here too on the new guitar. I played my first Larivee yesterday - a small bodied. Nice sounding guitars-I could feel the bass in my ribcage which was surprising to me for a smaller guitar. The construction was excellent and the tone very good. Post some clips when you can.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Congratulations!

That's some dark sapele there. I almost mistook it for rosewood.

BTW - I have an OM-03R that just turned a year old and can testify that they get better with age! No comment on the vibration this but for a little guitar it sure is loud. I'm dying to play it as I type this but I'm afraid I'll wake everyone up if I do - and I just play fingerstyle on it!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:21 AM

I know what you're talking about with the vibrations. I've got a Fender grand concert that will continue to ring after you mute all the strings with your hand. I've never seen so much sustain, but being a Fender acoustic it gets no respect.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Default wanted for questioning:

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM

That's a sweet guitar! I made the mistake of playing an L-03 a couple of years ago, and I've had GAS for one ever since. The only things preventing it at the time -- and still, for that matter -- is financial responsibility. I'd need to sell either enough of what I have to afford it, and that's not gonna happen.

Congrats, though, and enjoy!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM

I played either the Larivee OM-03 No Electronics on Sunday, it was a small guitar with a great sound. It played very loud for a small guitar..I really liked that guitar , it felt great and one of the best sounds in that Sam Ash music store !

I would of bought it right there, but like many of us, I need to pay bills, so , another time... But if I get another guitar , I will be seriously considering that one.

Jerry
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM

You chose.....wisely. I love my L-05 and I think you will like the L-03. It will just get better with age.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM

The best thing about the 03 series is that when you get GAS, you can just get another 03.

Jim
Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayavner View Post
The "one sheet of toilet paper" thing takes her off my list...
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 AM

Right on! Another Larrivee owner.

I love the sound that comes out of my D-10 too.

Sometimes when I am flat picking/strumming trough certain songs, I have to make sure I do not rest my fingers on the top as an anchor. As when I do, it is a night and day difference in sound resonance. I have never had this problem with any other guitar I have ever owned to date (If you want to call this a problem that is).

I just love my new D-10! I am just having a real hard time playing the new out of it.

Lips...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
The "one sheet of toilet paper" thing takes her off my list...

Exactly the same thought crossed my mind...and crosses my mind every time I see her.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM

If she's truly limiting herself to just a couple sheets of toilet paper, then I feel sorry for her, because she's full of it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Congrats on the new Larrivee.

I've got an L-03, and love it too!

- -

PS: How did a post about an L-03 turn into (undeserved, in my opinion) Sheryl Crow-bashing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion