The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 11:27 AM

Default Open Mic Questions?

I have a local Ice Cream Shop that hires musicians on the weekends.

If they were to expand and start an Open Mic on a week night, what would be some ground rules for musicians to follow?

What if a lot of the people that try to do the Open Mic are not very good?
How do you make an open Mic a great event?

What type of sound system is needed?

What is working for your Open Mic Nights?
Old 02-26-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
what would be some ground rules for musicians to follow?
15 minutes or three songs, max. Solos, duos, and trios only; no full bands.

Quote:
Applaud, cheer, and make them feel valued and welcome.

Quote:
Low/no cover charge. Promote the heck out of it on social media and at the venue. Talk the venue into awarding one or two participants with their own gig.

Quote:
Basic multi-channel system with mains, DI boxes, good microphones and stands, and a stage monitor. Most important is someone who can mix.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post

Applaud, cheer, and make them feel valued and welcome.
I think that Monty Christo pretty much nailed it... this one in particular (though I might have added something about encouraging them).

The sound system will depend a lot on the space.

Not a bad idea to clarify "acoustic only" open mic, if that's the intent. There are times when people will want to use an unclassified open mic for electric music, poetry, and even comedy routines. You may have to clarify restrictions in that regard (if that's the intent).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:08 PM

This is how it works in the UK - may need modifying for local culture somewhat, but this works:

1. Decide whether performers sign up for slots on the day, or in advance, or both. Give people rough time slots so they know when they're likely to be on.

2. You get 15 minutes or three songs, whichever is shorter. This includes setup time (important!). The host has to do the time keeping.

3. Host makes sure the evening is supportive of all performers (so first-timers get a rousing introduction and big applause afterwards). Don't worry about poor performers - there will be some but most improve if they are encouraged. Musicians are kind to others who are trying, even if they don't succeed.

4. No, or minimal sound checks - the host has to tweak balance etc as the performer plays. Otherwise the timing goes to hell.

5. Keep as close to time as possible, which might mean asking later performers to cut back to two songs if it's badly overrunning. Everyone who turns up in time to sign up for a slot ought to get a chance to play. The host should find the next act while the previous is playing to make sure they;re ready to go on.

6. (Optional but recommended) Any act which is a band should contact the host in advance to discuss (duos and trios work OK, but those who need amps, drums etc will take too long to set up for a 15 min slot). If I'm hosting, they set up in advance of the start, or in the break if any, and they may need to stay until the end to take down so as not to interfere with the other performers. So this all needs talking through. If they need 6 mics they'd better bring their own!

The quickest way to kill off an open mic is poor organisation - musicians who turn up and then play an hour or two after their slot time, or don't get to play at all, won't come back.

Equipment - enough PA to be heard, and as decent a sound as can be managed in the venue (UK pubs can have beams and pillars so no-one expects great sound). Two vocal mics and stands, maybe an instrument mic and stand as well. Anyone with special requirements can bring their own kit, but note that their 15 mins includes setup time! I've occasionally seen a drum kit provided, but hardly ever used unless the host plays drums.

Hosting an open mic is definitely work, but very satisfying if you get it right.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I don't care for open mics but since Covid, most folk and acoustic clubs have closed down.

I run a Club Session once monthly - 15 minute sets, no plugging-in just one large condenser mic into a Bose L-1 (via a mixer with no FX) - i.e. as little sound adjustment as possible.

Then one monthly "Song Session" which is my term for a sing-around where we sit in a circle and take turns - fully acoustic.

My limited experience of post covid open mics in pubs etc., seems to be too loud (too large a p.a.) to people who talk 9or shout) over performers (they are there to drink).

However, I'm impressed by the contributions by Monty Christo and Prof Chris. Well said - both!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-26-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

The single biggest thing you can do to make an open mic great is to hire someone that knows what they are doing to run it. They should have experience and good equipment, know how to dial in good sound for a multitude of instrument types and most importantly they will know how to keep a good open mic running smoothly. That means knowing how many songs per person are allowed (this is based on the number of people in attendance and how long the open mic runs) and also paying close attention to make sure performers are aware when they are on next and that they are tuned up and ready to go. The best open mics have a great host, good sound equipment and a nice mix of talent. Open mics by their very nature typically have a lot of performers that are not all that good. That's why they are playing open mics and not gigging. They are either new to it or just not good enough or interested enough to play paying shows. So this is their chance to 'play rock star'. You really can't dictate the level of performer ability at an open mic. You get what you get but that's part of the fun.

I second the previous opinion to not allow full bands. Some open mics do and I avoid them like the plague. They are always too loud and it takes way too long to get all that equipment on stage, plugged in and then same thing on the other side. Also make sure you know your non-open mic audience. How will they receive the 'show'? They are there to eat ice cream and not necessarily listen to live music of oftentimes less-than-polished performances. You don't want to lose business. Most of the places up here that run open mics have them on 'dead nights' as a way of making some business since most performers will eat and drink and bring relatives and friends. Having a relatively quiet space is nice so you're not competing with multiple televisions and people talking loudly. After that it's just a matter of getting word out there. Advertise especially on local social media like Facebook. And don't just post about the date but also post a lot of photos and video clips of performances. People performing like to see themselves and others looking to play will like seeing what the crowd is like and how well the venue setup is.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I run a Club Session once monthly - 15 minute sets, no plugging-in just one large condenser mic into a Bose L-1 (via a mixer with no FX) - i.e. as little sound adjustment as possible.

Not even a little bit of reverb? It makes everything sound a little better, especially vocals
Old 02-26-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I have a local Ice Cream Shop that hires musicians on the weekends.

If they were to expand and start an Open Mic on a week night, what would be some ground rules for musicians to follow?
Have time limits.

Enforce the time limits. Don't be harsh, but be clear. It helps to signal people that it's their last song. Then go up to the stage zone and start the applause before they can launch into another one.

No amps or electronics or fooling around with the PA, if there is one.

Quote:
Thank them, compliment them, and lead the audience in applause.

Quote:
Be kind to everyone. Let everyone play. Thank them for coming.

Quote:
None. If it's a huge ice cream parlor and you find the music can't be heard from the back of the room (unlikely), keep it simple.

But remember that it's a layer of complication. I play at a coffee house where it took me over a year to get the host to stop using a PA. Everyone is happier now, including the host.

Quote:
What is working for your Open Mic Nights?
I started handling the sign-up so no one gets left out.

I also find out who has to leave early (often very old people and little kids) and put them on first.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:51 PM

Several around Houston have great hosts . Over and over they are saying , this all for fun do not take it as competition . Sadly around here the open mics are becoming so common 7 days a week and the paying gigs are dyeing .

The clubs are saying a single artist cannot bring in as many people as 10 people playing open mic.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

The only thing I would add to the good advise already given, start small and don't over think it. Let it grow on its own.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The only thing I would add to the good advise already given, start small and don't over think it. Let it grow on its own.
This ^^^^^^^

It's a bloody ice cream shop not the Carnegie Hall! You could run a great evening purely acoustically - no need for any p/a kit at all in a space like that. You could make a feature out of it being an intimate evening. Just bring your instrument and voice - play and sing for us like you do at home.

It will keep the peddle board brigade away, but there will be a lot of local musicians who would love such a low key event night.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:35 PM

The Acoustic Forum Rocks once again!

Thank you all for your great ideas and suggestions.

I really like the idea of a single Condenser Mic and small PA speaker.
We already have that available.

The venue already hosts weekend concerts where performers bring their own sound system with them.

The idea of an open mic night just seams like a natural fit here.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I really like the idea of a single Condenser Mic and small PA speaker.
We already have that available.

That's a nice way to run an open mic'.

You will need to just think about your set-up.

Ideally have something soft behind the "stage" rather than a hard wall.

Speakers in front of the mic' line.

Use the cardioid setting on the mic (or use a cardioid mic')

Turn up the p.a until the mic feeds back - then notch down the feedback frequency.

Turn up the mic' a until the secondary frequency feeds back, then knotch down that frequency.

Turn the mic down a notch or two below its feedback point.

And that's you set up for the night!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:17 PM

I still would recommend some kind of PA, although the one I described in my earlier post is probably overkill for an ice cream shop.

Just the ambient noise of the shop -- customers talking, machines running, the door opening and closing, etc. -- can easily drown out an unamplified guitar and singer. You can't expect people coming in for an ice cream to whisper, especially children.

If the audience has to strain to hear the performers or the performers have to work to overpower the attendant noise of commerce, neither the players nor the audience will enjoy it much.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

You need at least two dedicated people to run it. No one can do it every week, and I feel consistency is important. I also feel everyone should get a chance to play. If this means cutting down to two songs, so be it. I've found this to be at around twelve participants. If there are five, offer folks another song at the end. Some open mics are always two songs. It really should not be the norm.

This should not need to be said, but if a venue is hosting an open mic, buy something. Surprising how many don't. I'd also ban all prerecorded media. People wanting to use tracks just slow things down. Once in a while a band shows up, but they have the good manners to use an unmic'd cajon, bass direct, and if any amp at all, it is onstage before things start, and gets picked up after everyone is through. I've seen a five piece take no more time than a solo to set up.

If you are so lucky as to have lasting power, it's a delight to see people overcome fright and learn to be better. Lasting power is people having a good experience.

I like a monitor, but I've played open mics where the mains were so low I had to ask if they were on. I know a seasoned performer who never uses a monitor until the venue is a fairly large space. I've seen him with no PA at all too.

This is for me an important open mic perk. Countless people have no clue about plugging in. I listened to countless folks with ice picky pickups and no pre. I finally got a two channel pre everyone was plugged into, even electric guitars. It saved my ears. And when someone is playing for the first time with a guitar they have had for three years, you will get dead batteries in the onboard electrics. Have a dynamic mic ready to go. It will happen often.

And if someone comes up and tells you they would like to play for the very first time, but are on vacation without a guitar, lend them yours. Just make sure that guitar isn't tuned to double dropped D. Had to be the most mortifying experience for both me and the performer. It worked out in the end though. Thankfully, she didn't hold a grudge.

There are as many variations on the theme as there are skill levels of the performers.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion