The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I don't particularly dislike it and once started I may restring multiple guitars. The bigger decision is what gauge I wanna use (if I'm thinking about a 12 to 13 move on a dread or vice versa?) and what type string I wanna use. PB, 80/20, Monel, etc.

I know this is probably WAY redundant but.....if (big if here) you don't have a battery operated string winder you really need to get yourself one. Makes this chore so much more enjoyable and quicker.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-22-2024, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Yep, love it.
Wipe down the fret board, clean the guitar, tune her up….. It’s a zen thing
Yep, same here! Love it!!
Old 02-22-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I don't particularly dislike it and once started I may restring multiple guitars. The bigger decision is what gauge I wanna use (if I'm thinking about a 12 to 13 move on a dread or vice versa?) and what type string I wanna use. PB, 80/20, Monel, etc.

I know this is probably WAY redundant but.....if (big if here) you don't have a battery operated string winder you really need to get yourself one. Makes this chore so much more enjoyable and quicker.
I have one and have used it several times, but I prefer to use my D'addario pro winder with the cutter on it. Just seems to work faster for me.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-22-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post

Agreed, on both points. I bought a “bit” for my electric screwdriver that winds the strings… so much easier. Less “trying to hold the guitar still” going on.

I have 2 new sets of strings that I’m itching to use, but I’m torn on which guitar to try them on. The guitars in questions are: a Taylor GS Mini (currently wearing Martin PB custom lights), and a Taylor Grand Theater (currently wearing D’Addario PB custom lights).
MY new sets are a set of D’Addario PB lights (12-53) and a set of Elixir PB nanoweb custom lights.

I’m still working on clean barre chords, which is why I prefer the custom lights to the specc’d stringsets for these guitars.

Last edited by Sarhog; 02-22-2024 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typo corrections
Old 02-22-2024, 10:03 AM

No, I definitely enjoy it. The part I don't like is the sound of brand new strings!

And I guess I don't look forward to changing nylon strings because of all the tuning and retuning that follows the first day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-22-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

The only thing I like better than changing strings is breaking strings. I especially like it when a string breaks when I’m changing strings.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:58 PM

After reading this post by op …. I changed strings on my Eastman . It was fine.
Un branded Chinese guitar with lotsa bling
Old 02-22-2024, 01:15 PM

I hate getting started changing strings, but once I am doing it I sort of get into it, and take my time, and then I start doing stuff like cleaning the fret board, polishing the frets, etc., snd then I am enjoying myself. It's the thought of getting started, every time, that makes me super anxious. it's like that old Mitch Hedburg joke about starting flossing is more stressful than quitting smoking, lol. Hey man, you seem real edgy, did you just quit smoking? No, I am about to change strings.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 02-22-2024, 02:53 PM

I love changing the strings, but as I use Elixir Nanowebs, I don't do it often.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
I really look forward to changing strings as a way to reconnect with the guitar as a beautiful, finely made tool for making music, and an opportunity to make sure it's in tip-top condition. When I'm done, I love the sound of the new strings and hearing the guitar at its best.
What he said!

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 02-23-2024, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

Love would be too strong a word, I enjoy string changes .. maybe except when I don't have my string winder at hand. I only have 3 regular play guitars, and usually only change a set strings every couple of months, so the Dunlop hand winder is more than adequate. I wouldn't bother owning an electric unless I was doing setups/changes for pay. Of course having a pin puller slot in the winder is pure gold

I've enjoyed working my way through different winding methods, I started out with the Martin knot (and still respect it as the shortest way to secure the wraps. However, I've settled on one-over, then under winding. Partly because if I screw up and say mount the A on E, then I can switch to the knot and still get a secure wind on the E peg. Also, this gives me adequate winds on E without excessive down angle over the nut, where added wraps on E add up pretty fast towards the bottom of the peg.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I dread it right up to the minute I start the process. Then it becomes a pleasant experience.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I think the biggest issue people have with changing strings is they don’t have a good work space for working on guitars. I put in a work bench in my music room with a padded top. It has a peg board top for hanging all your tools. Very handy for changing strings. Most of my friends who play will bring their guitars over here to change the strings because they know I have everything to make it quick and easy. Working on a bench is so much easier than restringing on a couch or a bed.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I enjoy changing the strings and the related guitar clean up time that gets done at the same time. What I don't like is the stretching out period for my classical guitars.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:42 AM

I'm usually drunk when I do it so I'm having a good time. I don't recommend getting drunk to change guitar strings but it's an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion