The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-17-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking at CF for busking - McPherson Touring or CA Legacy? - went with Rainsong!

Hey there CF friends!

So, the wife and I are thinking that instead of jumping back into full-time gigging this summer, we'll give busking a try. Why? Well, to be honest we're still not ready to crowd into small, packed venues (even though we'll be vaccinated by then) let alone deal with the usual downsides of gigging. There's also something freeing about busking in that you can just do it when and where you want to, for as long as you want to and in perfect weather conditions. And since we don't really care about making money, it's a win-win for us.

But even with perfect weather conditions I'm loathe to take out my current fave, the Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe. So I thought it might be time to jump back on the CF bandwagon to have something grab-and-go for busking but can also serve as a convenient backup guitar that I can keep in the trunk. I've owned a fair amount of CF guitars in my time so I'm familiar with most, including a Rainsong, two Journey OF660's and 5(!) Emeralds.

I'm torn between two things right now - full size for best (loudest) sound for busking or a smaller, travel size that would be 'good enough' for busking but still serve as a good choice for that backup/trunk guitar. Right now there are two guitars in the classifieds that cover these opposite extremes. They are:

Composite Acoustics Legacy dread - large body but thinner so loud but not too big. However, long scale which I'm not a fan of. Of course I can always tune down a half for full step and then capo up to simulate a short scale guitar. Other good things about this guitar is the lower price and the onboard Fishman electronics. I've had this system before (in a Rainsong APLE) and it was just okay, but I do like barn door for live guitars. The other guitar is a:

Mcpherson Touring Gold - small body and (very) short scale. I'm not worried about the scale so much (as some do) and I absolutely LOVE the look of this guitar. But I worry that the sound from such a small guitar would not project very well outdoors for busking unamplified. It's also about a grand more than the CA guitar, so there's that. I've always been interested in the McPerson Touring and Sable guitars as those that have them rave about their sound, both good and loud.

I'm looking for any opinions on the above but especially from the McPherson Touring owners or even those that have played them. Just how loud do they get? It's been my experience that no matter how great the tone is purported to be with small body guitars they still sound like small body guitars. Sure, it's busking so you're largely ignored anyway, but before I drop a couple g on the McP-T I'd like to know more.

At some point I'll almost surely do yet another custom order from Emerald for an X20 woody with an Anthem Pro installed. I really like new X20 design improvements. Well, some of them. I'm not a fan of the Emerald pinless bridge system from one of my customs. Regardless, I'd go ahead and order an Emerald but that won't be ready in time for summer busking. So looking or a short term solution. I'm looking forward to any opinions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-21-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I've played a Touring - not for a lengthy time, but to get a feel for it. That 22 3/4" scale feels small to me, and I do like smaller guitars. I felt the Touring sounded smaller and quieter than my previous generation X7.

I've never done any busking - are you planning to do it without any amplification? I'd think plugging into one of your S1s would make that easy, and give you additional volume and EQ. Leave your stomp mixer at home and you can pick up with one hand and move. Volume becomes no issue with even a bit of electronic "boost."

I've seen situations where busking was allowed (or overlooked) as long as no amplification is used.

Back to the guitar situation: if looking to keep it small, I'd go for an X7. Of course, I admit an Emerald bias for the sound and ergonomics.

Froggy Bottom? I didn't hear of that acquisition. Never played one, but everything I read about them comes from very happy owners.

Enjoy the search.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Sable owner, never played a touring, I've read that the touring is 90% of the Sable, if that is true, it would be an easy choice for me. I really like the necks on the McP better than Emeralds. And the tone a LOT more than the Emeralds, I know you weren't asking about Emerald, but I'm using that as a reference. I found the newest X7 to feel awkward with the larger body and shorter scale, not the norm I know and likely my issue??? The Sable is a heavy guitar, so I wonder if that is an issue with the CA ? Best of luck with your quest.

Is there a NGD for the Froggy ? Certainly a dream guitar I've never played, but they even sound stunning on Youtube, and that's not easy !!
Old 03-17-2021, 11:52 AM

Hi Methos, good to see you back here in CF land. I have a Sable and have to say that although I love the sound, it isn’t the loudest guitar out there, FWIW. Might not be the best choice for busking without your amplification. Maybe a used Rainsong to get you through the summer?
Old 03-17-2021, 12:04 PM

There’s a basic black X-30 on Emeralds website right now listed as in stock. Just something to think about.
Emerald X-20
Fender Tele Gatton model
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Sable owner, never played a touring, I've read that the touring is 90% of the Sable, if that is true, it would be an easy choice for me. I really like the necks on the McP better than Emeralds. And the tone a LOT more than the Emeralds, I know you weren't asking about Emerald, but I'm using that as a reference. I found the newest X7 to feel awkward with the larger body and shorter scale, not the norm I know and likely my issue??? The Sable is a heavy guitar, so I wonder if that is an issue with the CA ? Best of luck with your quest.

Is there a NGD for the Froggy ? Certainly a dream guitar I've never played, but they even sound stunning on Youtube, and that's not easy !!
I'd heard the same thing about the Touring for sound and also with the neck. I liked my X7 V3 from a size standpoint but the acoustic and amplified tones left me wanting. The acoustic from the small body and amplified from the K&K pickup.

I did do a NGD for the Froggy. You can find it down in my sig line that takes you to a post of all my gear posts. The Froggy remains impressive, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Hi Methos, good to see you back here in CF land. I have a Sable and have to say that although I love the sound, it isn’t the loudest guitar out there, FWIW. Might not be the best choice for busking without your amplification. Maybe a used Rainsong to get you through the summer?
That was my concern about the McPherson for busking. If the Sable isn't that loud (which I've heard elsewhere) than the Touring is only going to be worse. A Rainsong is certainly a candidate if I can find the right one. I'm more 'forgiving' now with regard to certain ergonomic considerations than I used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I've played a Touring - not for a lengthy time, but to get a feel for it. That 22 3/4" scale feels small to me, and I do like smaller guitars. I felt the Touring sounded smaller and quieter than my previous generation X7.

I've never done any busking - are you planning to do it without any amplification? I'd think plugging into one of your S1s would make that easy, and give you additional volume and EQ. Leave your stomp mixer at home and you can pick up with one hand and move. Volume becomes no issue with even a bit of electronic "boost."

I've seen situations where busking was allowed (or overlooked) as long as no amplification is used.

Back to the guitar situation: if looking to keep it small, I'd go for an X7. Of course, I admit an Emerald bias for the sound and ergonomics.

Froggy Bottom? I didn't hear of that acquisition. Never played one, but everything I read about them comes from very happy owners.

Enjoy the search.
Hi Jim! Amplification depends on the town. Some allow it, some don't. So I'd like whatever guitar I get to have the ability to amplify well with just the onboard offerings so that means some sort of onboard (barndoor) system or a small preamp with EQ to keep things minimal.

The Froggy Bottom was an acquisition back in December. Wasn't really looking to buy, mostly just looking to see what's out there as the FB was always my 'someday' or 'retirement' guitar. Retirement is coming fast so I started looking around Christmas and stumbled on what turned out to be a find. Got for a decent price (by FB standards) and I've been blown away by it more every day. I can't say enough good things about that guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
There’s a basic black X-30 on Emeralds website right now listed as in stock. Just something to think about.
I'd love to play an X30 mostly since it's the only Emerald I have yet to play. But I doubt I'd get one for my busking needs. I'm sure it would work fine but I think there are other options for much less that will also fill other needs. But thanks for point out the available one. I actually went to Emerald so see if there was anything interesting that might fill my needs.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a Rainsong H-OM that is as loud and sweet as a Black Ice WS. It usn’t a short scale, but very comfortable. For reference, I’m 5’ 5” tall and trim, and usually prefer larger guitars. The H-OM is excellent.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I have a Rainsong H-OM that is as loud and sweet as a Black Ice WS. It usn’t a short scale, but very comfortable. For reference, I’m 5’ 5” tall and trim, and usually prefer larger guitars. The H-OM is excellent.
Funny you mention this model - I was checking one out on Reverb last night that checked all the boxes and was a really good price. Went back this morning to make an offer and it was gone!
Old 03-18-2021, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Funny you mention this model - I was checking one out on Reverb last night that checked all the boxes and was a really good price. Went back this morning to make an offer and it was gone!
I really like mine. I'd sell the Black Ice before I'd sell the H-OM. And it sounds wonderful through my Fishman Loudbox. Good luck!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-21-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I really like mine. I'd sell the Black Ice before I'd sell the H-OM. And it sounds wonderful through my Fishman Loudbox. Good luck!
Another one showed up (actually, it was already there, just the next lowest price) and I made an offer down where the other one sold for but the guy didn't want to come down that much. So then I started to consider going new but it seems like Rainsong doesn't make the CH-OM1000NS any more. I could have gone the Vintage line with a V-OM1000NSX which has the preferred Anthem Stage Pro system (vs the Element Stage Pro system in the non-Vintage line) but it's also $3,599 new and I'm not all that thrilled with the look, to tell the truth.

So then I went on here and did a search of all things Rainsong and found that the CH-OM1000NS was very well received and reviewed and even mourned when it became apparent that the line was changing and that model (and a few others) were going away. I went back over to Reverb and poked around again only to find that they guitar I had originally intended to buy and sold out from under me was back listed! Pulled that trigger pretty gosh darn fast, let me tell you! So that will be on the way and fill the summer busking needs and also be a good backup guitar.

As always, I'll be sure to post a NGD here after I get it. Thanks for the input on the above.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Cool Methos! Look forward to your review!
Old 03-21-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the RainSong - that should do a good job for you! Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Nice! Looking forward to reading your review.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:30 AM

Congrats!

It's a very nice guitar Scott, the exact same guitar as the popular Shorty except for the "Blacked Out" look and a satin back and sides. My only complaint for my style of play (fingerstyle) is the neck profile but I know you do a lot of singer songwriter stuff so it might suit you a little better. It definitely had great projection but it also has a strong midrange voice. I've heard some like Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze for taming the mids but I didn't like them at all. My favorite strings for the Shorty after trying over 20 brands and alloys was Martin Retros- especially once they age a bit.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:47 PM

Congrats Methos, that should do you well. +1 on the Retro’s on the Rainsong!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber