The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-09-2024, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Replacement pickup systems for Emerald X7? Never mind - figured it out!

My new (to me) X7 is a great little guitar that I love the ergonomics and playability and the acoustic sound but the amplified sound via the LR Baggs Element VTC is just awful. The low E is SO off-the-charts hot compared to the rest of the strings that it is unusable. I've pulled the saddle and pickup and nothing appears to be untoward with regard to the tone - saddle is flat and no damage.

I just finished reading a dozen posts from a search and it looks like the Element system is commonly hated in these guitars. Many people replace them. Some go with the Anthem but many avoid all UST's and rather go with the HFN, the HIFI or some sort of K&K. I've had the K&K in two Emeralds and didn't like it much. I did try an HFN in a different guitar (not an Emerald) and didn't like much either.

Thinking of giving the HIFI a shot but the HFN is also a contender. Anything else out there I should be considering? Looking for people that have replaced their Element systems in their Emeralds (especially the X7) and what are your current feelings towards the system you ended up with. Much prefer passive systems with minimal stuff inside the guitar.

Last edited by Methos1979; 01-20-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My new (to me) X7 is a great little guitar that I love the ergonomics and playability and the acoustic sound but the amplified sound via the LR Baggs Element VTC is just awful. The low E is SO off-the-charts hot compared to the rest of the strings that it is unusable. I've pulled the saddle and pickup and nothing appears to be untoward with regard to the tone - saddle is flat and no damage.

I just finished reading a dozen posts from a search and it looks like the Element system is commonly hated in these guitars. Many people replace them. Some go with the Anthem but many avoid all UST's and rather go with the HFN, the HIFI or some sort of K&K. I've had the K&K in two Emeralds and didn't like it much. I did try an HFN in a different guitar (not an Emerald) and didn't like much either.

Thinking of giving the HIFI a shot but the HFN is also a contender. Anything else out there I should be considering? Looking for people that have replaced their Element systems in their Emeralds (especially the X7) and what are your current feelings towards the system you ended up with. Much prefer passive systems with minimal stuff inside the guitar.
I installed a HiFi into my Taylor this weekend. I love it. Keep in mind I've only plugged this into my Yamaha THR5a, a little amp that makes everything sound good. But the HiFi is aptly named, it has the microphonic qualities of a K&K but far less tubby, and beautiful clear highs. The only issue I can foresee with the X7 is bridge plate preparation, or if it would even be needed. The application side of the HiFi transducers are very thin 3M VBH tape, so squishing into non-flat surfaces may not be feasible.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I have an Element in the X20 I bought about 6 months ago. I went with it as it was the cheapest option, and I very rarely need to plug it in.

When I did, however, I experienced the same bass heaviness that you seem to be encountering. After much googling, and an email conversation with Davey, a remedy surfaced. I slackened off all the strings, and brought them back to pitch again from 1st to 6th i.e. treble side first.

Much to my surprise, this actually made things a whole lot better. It’s not completely cured, but I find that I can even things out nicely with some judicious EQ. Some mild compression also helps.

All that being said, I fear that the Element is really not the best option in any scenario (not just Emerald), and I’ll be interested to see what you end up with. I’ve been thinking HiFi as it looks as if it would be a very simple install and replacement of the existing Element.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-09-2024, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I have an Element in the X20 I bought about 6 months ago. I went with it as it was the cheapest option, and I very rarely need to plug it in.

When I did, however, I experienced the same bass heaviness that you seem to be encountering. After much googling, and an email conversation with Davey, a remedy surfaced. I slackened off all the strings, and brought them back to pitch again from 1st to 6th i.e. treble side first.

Much to my surprise, this actually made things a whole lot better. It’s not completely cured, but I find that I can even things out nicely with some judicious EQ. Some mild compression also helps.

All that being said, I fear that the Element is really not the best option in any scenario (not just Emerald), and I’ll be interested to see what you end up with. I’ve been thinking HiFi as it looks as if it would be a very simple install and replacement of the existing Element.
This is VERY interesting and I can see why it would help in that by starting to bring tension up on the strings to the high E first and then progressing down that might cause the saddle to have more contact there as opposed to the other way around. I'll give it a try.

I actually took the guitar to a local repair guy today and he did a quick check of the saddle and pickup and everything looked good. I've got an appointment for him to do a deep dive (if needed) this Sunday. In the end I don't need a killer amplified sound as this guitar is technically my backup to the Cole Clark but it needs to be at least serviceable.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is VERY interesting and I can see why it would help in that by starting to bring tension up on the strings to the high E first and then progressing down that might cause the saddle to have more contact there as opposed to the other way around. I'll give it a try.

I actually took the guitar to a local repair guy today and he did a quick check of the saddle and pickup and everything looked good. I've got an appointment for him to do a deep dive (if needed) this Sunday. In the end I don't need a killer amplified sound as this guitar is technically my backup to the Cole Clark but it needs to be at least serviceable.
This did nothing, unfortunately. So I'll let the tech have a shot at it. If he can't get it to even out then I'll just have him make me a new bone saddle that's a little higher (to compensate for the UST) and remove the Element and give the HFN or HiFi a try.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This did nothing, unfortunately. So I'll let the tech have a shot at it. If he can't get it to even out then I'll just have him make me a new bone saddle that's a little higher (to compensate for the UST) and remove the Element and give the HFN or HiFi a try.
Sorry it didn’t help. I’m beginning to believe that the Element is, overall, one of LR Baggs’ less successful devices.
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-13-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry it didn’t help. I’m beginning to believe that the Element is, overall, one of LR Baggs’ less successful devices.
What's weird is that the Element StagePro that I had in my RainSong was not nearly as quacky as the VTC in my X7. The saddle in my X7 does not appear to be what X7's ship with so I've ordered the correct one and I'll try that first although I can't imagine that would make much of a difference. After that I think I'll just yank the Element and try either the HFN or the HiFi.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I yanked the Element from my X20, and tried a K&K…then an HFN…both has balance problems, but the HFN was better. I then went to to Krivo Humbucker, and it works well.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I yanked the Element from my X20, and tried a K&K…then an HFN…both has balance problems, but the HFN was better. I then went to to Krivo Humbucker, and it works well.
I'm assuming this required cutting a hole for the humbucker? If I were to go that route I'd likely just install the Anthem StagePro I already have.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm assuming this required cutting a hole for the humbucker? If I were to go that route I'd likely just install the Anthem StagePro I already have.
The Krivo is actually so thin that it can be surface-mounted. I’ve often contemplated going that route for my X20 - it could do double duty on my Amicus as well - but I’m reluctant to spend the money on something that will only be used once in a blue moon.

Same thinking applies to other replacements as well, so I’ll probably end up sticking with the Element unless my playing needs change significantly.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-14-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Krivo is actually so thin that it can be surface-mounted. I’ve often contemplated going that route for my X20 - it could do double duty on my Amicus as well - but I’m reluctant to spend the money on something that will only be used once in a blue moon.

Same thinking applies to other replacements as well, so I’ll probably end up sticking with the Element unless my playing needs change significantly.
Good to know. I'll have to check that out. Have there been any threads here on doing an install on an Emerald? I did a search on zeeway's name in the Carbon Fiber sub and didn't see anything. Maybe I need to cast a wider search net!

Found it! Over in the Amplification sub. Not much for the look, especially on my gorgeous woody top!
Old 01-14-2024, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Hey Scott,

The Krivo Humbucker "installs" on the top with a bit of sticky putty...I did drill a hole near the end for routing the wire...which may give you pause...
Old 01-16-2024, 04:47 AM

i had the same issue on my x7 and x 20. my guy used his old trick of putting foil under the bridge. there is a ryme or reason as to why and how much foil to use, but that i don't know. but it fixed my x7 and x20.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool.

The Krivo Acoustic pickup seems to be sold out.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The Krivo Acoustic pickup seems to be sold out.
Unless I remember incorrectly, Krivo now has an exclusive OEM deal with Emerald. You can only get their pickups through Alistair. My last two guitars were ordered without pickups since I no longer gig, and still have several guitars with useable electronics inside already.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber