The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
In his original post he states the footswitch is for the effects...not the looper
To clarify-
The 2 button Footswitch works for both the looper and the effects.

Left button is for looper
Right turns on/off effects (including the effects loop).
Old 02-10-2024, 10:12 PM

Default NAD: Mackie ShowBox - first thoughts, updated

I had about 15 minutes to unbox mine and play this evening. Been a busy week! The good news is that I think this box sounds great! I plugged in two Taylor’s with ES2 and 3 guitars with passive K&Ks. A little finger picking a little strumming.

Didn’t mess with the settings too much and it was in monitor position the whole time. To my ears, it is better sounding than my JBL. Maybe not as loud.

About the same tonal quality, but less muddy, than the Bose S1 Pro. It sounds similar to the Mackie Reach I liked. I think it will be like all speakers… good and useable for some and maybe not good enough for others. I don’t think I would complain playing through this thing in a small or medium room.

I think the very expensive systems may sound better or have more acoustic guitar control. This is, of course, just an 8” speaker in a plastic box with some useful mixer features.

But I think it’s a pretty good little flat response system.

More to come
Old 02-10-2024, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review! I’m glad you mentioned the foot switch…I was so hoping it could be configured as a 2 button looper control.
Otherwise it sounds great.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I had about 15 minutes to unbox mine and play this evening. Been a busy week! The good news is that I think this box sounds great! I plugged in two Taylor’s with ES2 and 3 guitars with passive K&Ks. A little finger picking a little strumming.

Didn’t mess with the settings too much and it was in monitor position the whole time. To my ears, it is better sounding than my JBL. Maybe not as loud.

About the same tonal quality, but less muddy, than the Bose S1 Pro. It sounds similar to the Mackie Reach I liked. I think it will be like all speakers… good and useable for some and maybe not good enough for others. I don’t think I would complain playing through this thing in a small or medium room.

I think the very expensive systems may sound better or have more acoustic guitar control. This is, of course, just an 8” speaker in a plastic box with some useful mixer features.

More to come
This is an excellent summation, Dave. I'm looking forward to your full review. Part of my 'problem' is after using a stick system for nearly two years (EV30M, in my case) the limitations of any small, single point amp/speaker system is going to pale in comparison. Comparing apples to oranges, as the case may be.

If we compare apples to apples then I think the ShowBox feature set will tick a lot of boxes for some and maybe not enough for others. In my case the question is, does it tick enough to warrant keeping it over the Stagepas 200BTR? We'll see. Now I'm wishing we didn't have all next week off before the next gig!
Old 02-11-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
This is an excellent summation, Dave. I'm looking forward to your full review. Part of my 'problem' is after using a stick system for nearly two years (EV30M, in my case) the limitations of any small, single point amp/speaker system is going to pale in comparison. Comparing apples to oranges, as the case may be.

If we compare apples to apples then I think the ShowBox feature set will tick a lot of boxes for some and maybe not enough for others. In my case the question is, does it tick enough to warrant keeping it over the Stagepas 200BTR? We'll see. Now I'm wishing we didn't have all next week off before the next gig!

To be honest, had Mackie not released the shoebox I would have bought the Yamaha. It’s all I need for now. You’ve proven the use case that is basically the same as mine.

I don’t even have the need for the JBL Eon One Pro I have. The rooms I’m playing are small and the loud places have their own system.

This, for me, this is basically an S1 Pro replacement that addressed my largest need. One of my daughters singing and playing with me. Needed two more inputs. Not a ton power. Just enough.

And the effects and EQ are nice if you turn them on just a smidge. I like the compressor. I don’t need the looper or electric guitar effects for my shows.

My current plans are to figure out how to use it and then bag it up for gigs with the cables I need. I’ll sell the Bose S1 and the JBL Eon One to guys who need a larger and smaller system.

I’m still in the market for a used Yamaha THRIII Acoustic unit for home practice. But that’s pretty much it. Yamaha THR at home and this Mackie for shows for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:14 AM

Okay! So I finally had a chance to test the ShowBox.

Just spent an hour playing around with it and so far it has it's pros and cons.

Testing using my Martin Dread with Fishman Matrix VT Enhance pickup system.
Very lively and warm sounding.

Effects are usable (when used sparingly).
As Dave said "I like the compressor" .. I agree!

I like the "break away" mixers functionality. Knobs rule when it comes to tweaking and switching inputs etc.
But it is a little wobbly when it's on the included mic stand mount.

Last edited by JakeStone; 02-12-2024 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Jake and I have been going back and forth today on PM with some of the issues and findings we are encountering. I did notice a similar 'static' sound (like a 'bip, bip, bip' sound) coming from the ShowBox yesterday when I connected it to my Macbook Air to listen to the recordings I'd made on the micro SD card of us playing a few songs. It was not as loud as what Jake encountered but it was there. I remember that my Stagepas does have hiss when streaming loud music from BT.

I just completed a side-by-side comparison for sound quality and volume between the ShowBox and the Stagepas using streaming music from my Android phone, running both units on battery. Interestingly, I have zero noise/hiss/static from the ShowBox while I'm getting a ton of hiss from the Stagepas (Note - this is not from streaming BT - see next post below). Granted, I've got the Stagepas volume about maxed out but it's there anyway whereas the ShowBox has zero noise of any kind regardless of how much I crank it.

As for sound volume, the ShowBox is definitely louder. Cranking the Stagepas almost all the way up I get around 90db (from my phone sound meter app) standing about 20' away. On the ShowBox I get the same level at about 75% at the same distance. I cranked it up farther and it got a lot louder than that. So strictly from a volume standpoint the ShowBox is the clear winner here which is not surprising since it is rated at a higher wattage and SPL than the Stagepas.

As for sound quality, they are quite different. The ShowBox has a warmer, smoother sound with a wider soundscape which I attribute to the speakers being spread out farther in the ShowBox. The Stagepas sound is more articulate, sterile and reference sounding. The bass is tighter and the trebles more crisp and everything cuts through nicely. The bass and treble on the ShowBox blends together more. If I'm honest, I prefer the overall sound on the Stagepas at least for streaming music.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-11-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Now I have to update the above post with something I just found. The loud hiss from the Stagepas was NOT due to streaming on Bluetooth. I went in after the fact and played around with the individual channels' volume levels and found that the hiss was coming from channel three which had nothing connected. When I dropped that volume slide (in app) down to zero the BT streaming channel was dead quiet. Go figure. Also of interest to those following this thread with a specific interest in the Stagepas, I found the culprit to be when the Hi Z button is pressed in while the the Mic/Line button is the mic position. If the Mic/Line is in the Line position or the Hi Z is off then all the hiss goes away.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:03 PM

So I will add.. It is a nice speaker for acoustic guitar!

First impression, it sounds best when on floor in "wedge" position.
Not as good when on a pole/stand.
(Seems to lose "everything" fidelity wise)

But maybe it needs to be closer to back wall to perform when on a pole..?

In my 600 square foot studio room, it sounded best (warm and full bass and clear highs) when on floor as wedge.. or on a chair with tweeter at ear level.

Have not tried vocals yet.

Update BT Audio Streaming:
Streaming Audio from my iPad or iPhone via BT - Sounds Great
Thanks for Scott and MartingitDave post below.
Yes the noise I had been hearing was from a channel being turned up with nothing plugged in.

Last edited by JakeStone; 02-12-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:54 PM

Tried Bluetooth. There was noise due to channel three being turned up with nothing plugged in, like Scott said. Once setup correctly, I thought streaming music sounded great.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

More to come
How is the headroom before clipping compared to the Bose S1 Pro? I find I can easily overload the small Bose S1 Pro which is my main complaint. Normally the Bose is fine for the places I use it for. For larger venues I choose my Bose L1 Pro 8 (or a pair of them). But for smaller venues the Bose S1 Pro Plus is super convenient and sounds pretty good. *(As long as I don't push it beyond its usable limits ....which is rather easy to do)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-12-2024, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
How is the headroom before clipping compared to the Bose S1 Pro? I find I can easily overload the small Bose S1 Pro which is my main complaint. Normally the Bose is fine for the places I use it for. For larger venues I choose my Bose L1 Pro 8 (or a pair of them). But for smaller venues the Bose S1 Pro Plus is super convenient and sounds pretty good. *(As long as I don't push it beyond its usable limits ....which is rather easy to do)
150w/14.4lbs vs 400w/21lbs. Apples and Oranges.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:04 AM

Quick note on Foot Switch / Looper test.

First off, I didn't buy the Mackie Foot Switch.
Because I read in the user manual that any 2 button would work.

Here is the one I had in my gear drawer and it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Right button turns the Effects on/off.

Left button controls the Looper functions -
just like any other 1 BUTTON looper.
Yes the double tap to stop "is what it is".

I use a looper in my shows for a handful of songs.. So I probably continue to use my Boss RC500.
Which I will test using the effects loop - when I get a chance.

Overall, the Looper sound quality on Playback is great
and having the loop volume control on mic stand is handy.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
150w/14.4lbs vs 400w/21lbs. Apples and Oranges.
The ShowBox gets MUCH louder than the Bose S1 Pro, especially by itself. The Bose can get quite a bit louder when you preamp the signals but the low end eventually clips or 'farts out' as I like to think of it on the low end. That said, the S1 does have much better horizontal dispersion due to its 3 articulated tweeters. It just fills the space so much better than any single point amp or speaker.

That's my next wish: all the power and features of the ShowBox in a small, Bose S1-like package with articulated speakers for wider dispersion and that warm, room filling presence that all the Bose systems do so very well! The ShowBox is close. Just shave off 5 more pounds, squeeze in some articulated tweeters and cut the size in half. Not asking too much, right? Someone will do eventually!!
Old 02-12-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The ShowBox gets MUCH louder than the Bose S1 Pro, especially by itself. The Bose can get quite a bit louder when you preamp the signals but the low end eventually clips or 'farts out' as I like to think of it on the low end. That said, the S1 does have much better horizontal dispersion due to its 3 articulated tweeters. It just fills the space so much better than any single point amp or speaker.

That's my next wish: all the power and features of the ShowBox in a small, Bose S1-like package with articulated speakers for wider dispersion and that warm, room filling presence that all the Bose systems do so very well! The ShowBox is close. Just shave off 5 more pounds, squeeze in some articulated tweeters and cut the size in half. Not asking too much, right? Someone will do eventually!!

We’re never satisfied. Plus, I think that wish list might be impossible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification