The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Default "Bear Claw"...yay or nay?

Call me a purist, OCD...or too dang picky, but for the life of me I can't understand why some players have such a wild lust for "bear claw" markings on the spruce tops of their guitars! I guess I've seen some that are grouped in a way that is almost artistic, that I found pretty in an unusual way...but I had a Martin 00-18 Standard that sounded great, but had several very random bear claw markings that looked more like a substandard piece of wood that was shockingly used on a $2500 guitar...and not something that was used as a unique thing of beauty. I really loved the tone of that guitar...but my personal brand of obsession had my eyes seeing those marks each time I looked at the guitar...so I ended up selling it, and for less than I should have since I wanted a quick sale.

My question is...how do some feel about "bear claw" on the tops of their higher end guitars? Do you like it...or are you more drawn to a clean top with even grain?

And, why do you feel that way?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

...I don’t mind a few bear claw marks on any fine top....just adds a little character to my aesthetic sensibilities......but I’m not a fan of a heavily bear clawed top...I find that distracting....
Old 11-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I like it...to a point. My Collings has little bear claw kisses dotting the top. Love it. Cool and unique. But when I see guitars with heavy bear claw throughout...sorry, no can do. Too much of a good thing for me. It would have to be a heck of a tone monster for me to take a guitar like that home.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Purist, ocd, or dang picky ...about what, exactly? Aesthetics, tone, feel in your hands?

The specific characteristic or particular facet one deems the most significant is the one that matters to you, the individual. Clearly bear claw is an aesthetic feature, so conjure up images of flame, quilt, straight grain, multi-backed pieces, whatever. No shortage of folks here who disdain such "gaudiness" as opposed to those who find the same "uniquely beautiful"; visual, tactile, or aural ...what are your gimmies and deal breakers?

Selling a guit that you "loved" for the tone but whose grain just "bugs you" tells you all you need to know. But for everyone else, it'll be different ...no explanations required.

Edward
Old 11-25-2020, 10:13 AM

I am NOT a fan of bear claw. I'm not a fan of runout either.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Well, truth be known -
I kind of liked the look - until I explained it to my wife and she said - "Those aren't bear claw marks - those are STRETCH marks!".
now - I can't unsee that . . . Sorry.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I am NOT a fan of bear claw. I'm not a fan of runout either.
I'd personally call wood's figuring "character" ; and we like some folk's character while others we cannot stand. This is fair.

Runout, however, is just bad on a pricey guitar. On a budget guit, fine. But if one is shelling our serious dough (you decide that sum), runout on a top is simply inexcusable in my book. Cut it properly if you're gonna charge that!

Edward
Old 11-25-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Too much of it detracts - a little is OK but I really couldn't care less. I have many more things to worry about.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I like bearclaw, though can see why others might not. I like tops with well defined medullary rays, too. Both are like spruce's version of quilting/flame, in my mind.

I remember back in the early days of the forum, when Larrivee was just coming out from under the radar, they were producing some great guitars with incredible bearclaw tops - similar to what you'll see frequently on Bourgeois Banjo Killers nowadays. E.M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita always had some in inventory - you could score a factory 2nd bearclaw OM-9 for around a grand, if memory serves. I always wanted one, but didn't have the cheddar then.

My J-35 has a single mark, which is right at the the center seam on the treble side - I remember thinking that was a weird choice for whoever joined that top. Doesn't bother me, though - I look at is as a unique identifier if my guitar ever walks off. Wish it had more.

Now, crazy figured flat-sawn stump wood, frequently seen on cocobolo and Brazilian, is something I don't get. I understand why it's used, given limited availability and expense. Some folks love it, but I prefer mine nice and straight grained, though I do like a little sap wood thrown in. Not a big fan of guitar tops with run-out, either. I know, I'm full of contradictions.

Austin
Old 11-25-2020, 10:26 AM

I love bear claws, especially with coffee or even chocolate milk.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I'll take more bearclaw over light runout ANY day of the week and twice on Sunday

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Love it - gnarlier the better!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I'll take more bearclaw over light runout ANY day of the week and twice on Sunday
I must agree. There is NO excuse for runout on a high end guitar. I don't think anybody buys into the notion of it being for artistic or creative benefit. Nope. I think it's just a builder "getting by", knowing someone will buy the guitar anyway, simply because of the tone or because of the branding on the headstock.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Default A thought

I'd love to build with a bearclaw top, but I'm too cheap to pay the current prices for one. Gotta be enough demand to keep prices up so I won't be getting one till demand slacks off.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Depends on the bear claw. I don't like it if it's spotty or unevenly distributed over the top or if it looks random. Some bear claw wood produces nice symmetrical patterns when book matched and I like tops made from that type of bear claw wood. It's more interesting to look at than a plain top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion