The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I really wish you guys would stop all this talk about Sinker D-18's?
Yea, me too....

D
Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

This would be hard for me because for a few hundred more you can get an Authentic. I've never played a sinker but those authentics are pretty dang nice.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM

What's the difference between these guitars and a GE made with sinker? Do the Authentics hold up very well?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
What's the difference between these guitars and a GE made with sinker? Do the Authentics hold up very well?
The GE's have a Mod-V neck and these CS sinkers have MLO necks. Not sure if/how the top bracing may differ? I had Jon @ MFG spec a D-18GE in sinker. If I recall correctly it was about $500+/- out the door? And a six month wait...

I've owned a couple Authentic's and never had any issues with them other than the lack of an adjustable truss rod and the Heel & Barrel neck profile I couldn't get along with?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
This would be hard for me because for a few hundred more you can get an Authentic. I've never played a sinker but those authentics are pretty dang nice.
Agreed. As nice as many custom shop and standard series Martins are, and I've owned a bunch of each, the Authentics are in a tonal class by themselves as far as I'm concerned. The other thing is the weight. The Authentics are notably lighter. I'm not sure how you all feel, but personally, I like my guitars feather weight. Just more enjoyable to hold and play.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-26-2019, 09:10 AM

I don't know how the standards stack up weight-wise to the authentic.
My standard has to be anchored down when it's not in its case...has a tendency to float away.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Sinker Mahogany Martin's

Very late to the party here, but thought I'd share my experience. I have recently acquired two (because I've been so impressed with Sinker Martin's) 0000 CS Martin's. I went in to literally all of my local shops and tried their standard line D18's, MD's, and other high-end Martin's, and I have to say the Sinker's are by far and away to my ears and eyes the most well-balanced, articulate, and full sounding. I nearly bought a a D18 Sinker locally but I prefer the body shape/size of the 0000 personally.

I have a 0000 with a VTS Sitka top, and one with an Adi top with GE bracing, both sound amazing. The Sitka is slightly better to my ear for fingerstyle, while the Adi is the better flatpicker or strummer - it's a cannon.

I'm traditionally a Rosewood lover but the Sinker has such a wonderfully unique vocal balance that I haven't heard in any other tonewood. Can firmly say I'm in love with Sinker and would say with time it's only going to become more collectible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion