The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I really can't see people cutting holes in their guitar to install a pickup system like this. They need to make a system that you can install yourself without the barn door controls. Between the cost of this system and then the cost of having a luthier install it for you, you would be way better off just buying a guitar with it already installed. Also, my worry about the Baton Rouge guitars is they are all very cheap, so it looks like this is just a cheap guitar with a very expensive pickup system. Sadly, I don't think this will really amount to much.
Hey, Jack, and you thought the installation of a Trance Amulet system was a bear--LOL! Frankly, after having a two-way, pickup system Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 back in 2009, and even though it sounded good amplified, I'm with you, I'd never cut up any guitar to install this Cole Clark 3-way aftermarket system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-02-2024, 01:31 PM

Aaron

Can you confirm your preference for the Cole Clark system over the Baggs anthem is strongly due to the better tone for looping percussive tone?

I think you once said it during one of your Monday show… But my memory could be wrong.

I understand the soundboard transducer is a great advantage for that specific type of playing… But I guess most folk players could be happy with a Baggs Anthem and no extra holes in their expansive Martins/Gibson/Taylors…

Also Aaron, for many years you thought the Baggs element could affect the unplugged tone:

What is your opinion regarding two holes, a bunch of electronics (removing the volume of air in the box) and the additional UST regarding the unplugged tone?

Finally, for those who are interested by those kind of question, what about the additional weight and balance? I recently added a preamp to my HFN equipped OM28V and gave up because the added weight of the 9V battery at the neck block was not compensated at the endpin jack because I used a tapastring Vintage jack… When someone design a pickup with preamp, the positions of the added weights are critical for the overall balance and feel in term of weight.

My OM-28V is quite light… I have tried couples OM-28e retro both F1+ and post F1 that felt much heavier.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-02-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I'm not familiar with the Cole Clark system but I've played a ton of Takamines. Yes, on paper, replacing a palathetic pickup with a garden variety UST is a noticeable downgrade.
I agree. Calling this "the Cole Clark pickup" isn't exactly accurate. It's not the same system since there is no palathetic undersaddle system. However, I would consider getting that Baton Rouge guitar for a cheap gigging guitar, but I'm not ordering overseas, sight unseen. I'll just wait until Aaron decides he likes his Cole Clark much better and buy his from him used....lol.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I disagree.
People will install this pickup but it will be a very small group. You have to remember that the majority of acoustic musicians don’t care that much about pickups and most don’t even know what a Cole Clark guitar is or what’s so special about the pickup system. Most musicians see the major brands like Fishman, K&K and Lr Baggs and choose one of those. Even the major profile artists often use these systems because they are readily available and well known. On top of that, not many musicians will want to rip a hole in the side of their guitar. Some will for sure but the market will be very small. Also, if it’s a nice guitar, you basically ruin the chance of ever selling it as an invasive aftermarket install will turn most musicians off. It’s the nature of selling used gear.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I'm not familiar with the Cole Clark system but I've played a ton of Takamines. Yes, on paper, replacing a palathetic pickup with a garden variety UST is a noticeable downgrade.
Definitely. I would argue that the major part of the Cole Clark tone is that palathetic system.

With that said, I have always wanted a manufacturer to release a pickup with a UST, mic and body sensor. It’s just too bad there’s a side mounted preamp for this one.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
People will install this pickup but it will be a very small group. You have to remember that the majority of acoustic musicians don’t care that much about pickups and most don’t even know what a Cole Clark guitar is or what’s so special about the pickup system. Most musicians see the major brands like Fishman, K&K and Lr Baggs and choose one of those. Even the major profile artists often use these systems because they are readily available and well known. On top of that, not many musicians will want to rip a hole in the side of their guitar. Some will for sure but the market will be very small. Also, if it’s a nice guitar, you basically ruin the chance of ever selling it as an invasive aftermarket install will turn most musicians off. It’s the nature of selling used gear.
You're exactly right Petty. Most can't even do a simple Sonitone install or even care enough to swap out the pickup in their gigging guitar for something better. I can't tell you how many times I've asked fellow performers about their gear and they don't even know what pickups are in their guitars. You are also correct about killing your resale value. I have offered many guitars with upgraded better pickups and they usually say they aren't interested and ask me to put the original system back into the guitar.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

This is amazing news! I saw Aaron's (earlier?) video about the Baton Rouge guitars and thought hmmm, maybe, but if this pickup provides anywhere near the Cole Clark guitar results I'll seriously consider it. I happen to have two copies of my gig guitar, a Martin Road Series, so I can experiment without taking that model out of circulation. Yes, it's a serious experiment with the cutting involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The other issue is the need to cut out the secondary opening on the bottom for the battery and jack enclosure. So, not only cutting a second hole but one pretty far from sound hole.
For some of us, I expect many, an externally accessible battery compartment is already installed on our guitars, as is the case with all my Martins. Then it's a simple wiring job.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree. Calling this "the Cole Clark pickup" isn't exactly accurate. It's not the same system since there is no palathetic undersaddle system. However, I would consider getting that Baton Rouge guitar for a cheap gigging guitar, but I'm not ordering overseas, sight unseen. I'll just wait until Aaron decides he likes his Cole Clark much better and buy his from him used....lol.
ACTUALLY, Aaron recently purchased a gorgeous 'upgrade' to his Cole Clark Angel 2. It's a Cole Clark Angel 3! The reason I put the 'upgrade' in single quotes is because the series three Cole Clarks are strictly visual with slightly higher grades of wood and then some absolutely gorgeous abalone inlay work on the guitar and fretboard while the pickup system is exactly the same as the level 2 and level 1 guitars for that matter. Also, for those following and uninformed the the three-way pickup system was a quantum leap ahead of the their two-way system and the latest edition of the three-way is even better. So no comparisons there.

SO, anyone looking for a killer gigging guitar at a great price from a great AGF'er should contact Aaron because I know that the Angel 2 is actually for sale. Or, at least it was as of a couple days ago when I talked with him.

And for those that don't follow Aaron's excellent YouTube page (and you should!), check out the intro to his discussion about the coming news of the CC pickup, recorded on Christmas day. He plays this new guitar throughout the video and it sounds incredible. Also, Aaron is quite an accomplished player and singer out of NYC, so there's that. But there is no denying the incredible tone from his guitar. This is straight from the guitar with no outboard tone shaping other than adding some reverb. Jump ahead to the 5:54 minute mark to hear a bit of White Christmas. Make sure to listen with high quality headphones or speakers:

Old 01-02-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

For some of us, I expect many, an externally accessible battery compartment is already installed on our guitars, as is the case with all my Martins. Then it's a simple wiring job.
You would still need to cut a box out of the top.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You would still need to cut a box out of the top.
Hi Jack, if you mean the cutout for the preamp controls, yes, understood.

Incidentally, Scott above notes that on Cole Clark guitars, the pre-amp control module is installed just with holes punched out for the dials and slits for the sliders. But the install video linked above (oh heck I'll throw the link in too) shows a (somewhat elaborately shaped) box cutout. See around the 12:19 mark.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/miksfch9rw..._as_action=MP4

It's a lot, I totally understand those who don't like it.

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-02-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
...PG3 system in the Cole Clark guitars (and a fan of the guitars as well) but they are now offering the system for sale on their website for ANY guitar with some modifications. It uses a regular under saddle pickup instead of the 'Palathetic' style undersaddle pickup and is $400 USD....
well, without the palathetic pickup, it really isn't the same thing is it?

Its just another UST but with their preamp.

I think its misleading to say its' the exact same pickup as in the Cole Clark guitars, which they want to keep proprietary so they offer it only with a UST

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-02-2024, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

I don't think they are offering the UST only to protect their proprietary sound. Drilling out the bridge and bridgeplate to fit the individual elements is a BIG task requiring precision tools. That's beyond the capability of the typical aftermarket. This system gives you 90% (just a guess) of the factory system and is in the realm of more doable guitar work.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You have to remember that the majority of acoustic musicians don’t care that much about pickups and most don’t even know what a Cole Clark guitar is or what’s so special about the pickup system.
But those guys are not on this forum.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
But those guys are not on this forum.
Exactly, it’s an insanely small market. Also, how many members on here are willing to cut holes in the side of their guitar? That number would be even smaller. There will always be people willing to do stuff like that, I just don’t think it’s a big market at all.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I'll agree with the insane part.

Yeah, cutting holes is an irreversible alteration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification