The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default In Praise of Voyage-Air

I was playing my VAOM-04 and occurred to me I should post a tribute to this guitar. I got the guitar off of this forum a while back. It had a different pick guard and gold Gotoh minis when I got it. After a few trips I found one of the deluxe cases with the zip off laptop part as that was more flexible. I have had to separate them sometimes to fit in smaller overheads. A couple of times I have even kept the laptop part and gate checked the guitar part.

The VA has been all over the world and has given me much enjoyment. I love this guitar and would be sad if it was damaged but it is a TRAVEL guitar. That said, it is also out and handy whenever I want to play.

Now for the tribute part. as you can see from my sig I have a variety of guitars. They all have a place in my heart (and most have names...). I am regularly amazed at how good the VA sounds. Loud, balanced, plays like butter. To me it is always interesting to read folks comments about tops, sides, neck construction, etc. Here is a guitar with a HINGE in the neck, laminated sides and back and is still sounds great. I love the zero fret, perfect nut height.

My hat is off to Harvey Leach for the design and to the Voyage Air Company for the construction and Q/A. Maybe mine is just special but when the time comes it will be one of the last to go.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VA04-Front.jpg (29.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg VA04-Back.jpg (31.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a VAOM-02 which is the entry level all laminate version of your guitar. I'm sure the 04 is a much better sounding guitar than mine but I am honestly surprised at how good my 02 sounds when I do play it. I use it only for travel. Don't think I've ever played it at home other than to re-string it and get it ready for a trip. It is an amazing design that Harvey came up with. Works very well. I sometimes forget I have it until I get ready to go somewhere?
Glad you're enjoying yours!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 09-25-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:16 PM

Love mine - A VAOM-1.

I also purchased the fancy case and have to say it was a great purchase. I too use it only for traveling, and I love to demonstrate how it unfolds - And I love to see people's jaws drop when I do!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:49 PM

Another thumbs up for Voyage-Air and my well-traveled VAD-04SN. It's not just a great travel guitar, it's a great guitar!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM

+1, love my VAD-04. Nice guitar that happens to have a hinge in the middle.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:18 AM

I have the same model as you. Can't say much as you pretty much said it all. Got mine when a local store closed up for a ridiculous price..wish they would have had more.. I'd have bought them all.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:47 AM

We love ours. (Same model as yours,) Always bring it on road trips and successfully flown with it. Really does the job and then some.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Congratulations. As I've said in other reviews I've done on Voyage Air guitars, they are excellent instruments and I've advised others who wanted a guitar to travel with that the VA guitars for many/most people could be their No. 1, only one and go-to one almost any time. I've had the VAOM-04 and VAD-1 (I currently have one of my VAD-1's for sale in the classifieds) and won't be without one for any reason I can foresee. Like you, my signature has some of the brands I own and am happy to include Voyage Air in the mix.

Here's a link to a review I did last year on my VAD-1. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=499825

I use that one for travel, performance, fun.... everything. With specs similar to a D-18, NO ONE has ever played it and thought it was anything other than an excellent dread. Only after showing them the "magic" behind the brand were they amazed by the folding neck. In fact, I was playing Saturday night with a recording engineer buddy and he was playing my Charis. In between songs my wife asked me if I had showed hime the Voyage Air. I got it out and handed it to him and after he had played it for a few minutes, I revealed to him the "folding". As usual, he was impressed and surprised.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 AM

I’m on a trip right now with my VAOM-06, which is not a current model.Its a good sounding guitar that folds, certainly not a gimmick. I added an LR Baggs Lyric and switched the tuners out for Gotoh 501 minis, which someone on this board told me were a straight drop in (they were). The tuners were the only part I was not happy with, well that and the ugly pick guard with that point. I had a tortoiseshell pick-guard made, much like an OM shape.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I also have the OM-04 and agree it's a great guitar. Well done.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:15 PM

Have owned a VAOM-04 and an -06. If they had a short scale version, one would be with me for life. Love those guitars (and miss them).
Old 04-03-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Have owned a VAOM-04 and an -06. If they had a short scale version, one would be with me for life. Love those guitars (and miss them).
Do you recall what the difference was between the 04 and 06? Or was the 06 just a newer version?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Hi Lee,

I have a VAOM-06 and I also think it's a very good guitar. It's been all over the world.

- Glenn
Old 04-03-2024, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Just bought a VAOM- 04 from another forum member…unboxed it about two hours ago. Besides the super cool folding neck, this thing sounds good.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey99 View Post
Do you recall what the difference was between the 04 and 06? Or was the 06 just a newer version?
I believe that it was the reverse. The 06 came first. The only difference was that the 06 had the better, two piece case.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion