The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Default Voyage Air VAD-1 Review OR Can Your Dreadnought Do This?

First let me say I'm an unabashed Voyage-air fan. I feel fortunate to have been one of the first few involved in Harvey Leach's early promotion of VA guitars when he sent one out on tour years ago for people to sample. The plan was to ship a VAOM out to one person who would send it on to the next, and so on. I was third or fourth on the list and when it got to me I purchased it without hesitation. Of all the guitars mentioned on the AGC, VA's are among the hardest to find in the wild. Voyage-Air offers three lines of acoustic guitars: the Transit Series with all laminate woods, a mid-price Songwriter Series with solid tops and laminate backs and sides, and a Premier Series with all solid woods. The company makes dreadnought and OM models in all three lines and throughout the line, great guitars. Other than the fact that they hinge in the middle, they are traditional guitars that play and sound great.

My current VA is the VAD-1, a Mahogany bodied, Sitka Spruce all solid canon. It has a L.R. Baggs I-Beam system inside. I was fortunate to be able to purchase Harvey's personal guitar and it is a great guitar that happens to fold in half and travel the world with me. There are so many people who ask about "travel" guitars and I, and others, always mention Voyage-air guitars as the best example of a guitar that is full-sized and ready to play at home while compact and ready to travel when the time arrives. I had a professional musician friend over yesterday sampling guitars in my studio and after he had played this guitar acoustically and amplified for longer than any other, I showed him the secret of this guitar. He couldn't believe this lightweight, full dreadnought guitar would fit into a backpack and stow in the overhead bins on a commercial airline. When locked into the playing position, the only hint that the guitar is different is the line in the fretboard and below the heel where the neck folds. From a playing or sound perspective, there is no hint that the guitar folds. Additionally, when opened it is generally no more out of tune than any guitar you haven't tuned in the past week. Just tweak the tuning and play.

If you are ever looking for a great guitar (most around $1,000) that can be your primary, only or travel guitar, do yourself a favor and find, order, buy or play a Voyage-air. While there may be some people somewhere, I've never met anyone that didn't love their Voyage-air. Whether you want to bike, climb, hike, motor, fly, couch, record, gig........ Voyage-air Guitar's are ready for the challenge. I've never picked one up that wasn't ready to play but you can set them up just like any guitar and right out of the box usually play like butter.
663A0030.jpg 663A0033.jpg 663A0052.jpg 663A0031.jpg 663A0034.jpg 663A0042.jpg 663A0047.jpg663A0048.jpg 663A0051.jpg 663A0053.jpg 663A0054.jpg 663A0003.jpg 663A0001.jpg 663A0002.jpg663A0050.jpg

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-24-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Beautiful guitar, mate! I’ve got a Journey Overhead I use for my travel, but if I decide I want a larger travel guitar, the Voyage Air Premier OM would probably be my #1 choice (my “main” guitar is a Martin OM).
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 PM

I have a Songwriter and love it. I bought it as NOS and got a great deal on it. Saved my sanity when I got stuck in an airport for 16 hours due to a computer meltdown. Provided some entertainment for others and got two offers for gigs, even though I am not a performer.

The other travel guitars that fit my budget did not have the sound or feel that I wanted. When opportunity permits will be adding a pickup to this one and buying a second one.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I find the Voyage Air guitar to be a total game changer when it comes to traveling with a Guitar. Whether it be a train plain and/or the occasional motorcycle cruise to a gig, I know I can always count on a good sounding axe once it is unfolded.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post

I feel fortunate to have been one of the first few involved in Harvey Leach's early promotion of VA guitars when he sent one out on tour years ago for people to sample. The plan was to ship a VAOM out to one person who would send it on to the next, and so on. I was third or fourth on the list and when it got to me I purchased it without hesitation.
If that was in 2010 I was probably the one who sent it to you. There were several Voyage-Air "Road Trip" guitars though.

My review is still up:

http://rocketsong.blogspot.com/2010/...ne-foldey.html

I still want a 00 though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM

I’ve had my VAD-04 for five years now. I put a K&K in it and use it for gigs as well as travel.

When the topic of selling guitars comes up here, that one is never on the list.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Default Voyage Air VAD-1 Review OR Can Your Dreadnought Do This?

I purchased my VAD-04 as a travel guitar. Out of the box it needed upgrades. Swapped the plastic bridge pins and bridge saddle for bone, added Gotoh 510’s and a K&K UltraPure Mini. It’s now an great guitar. Even though I have Taylor’s and a Martin I enjoy playing it at home. I cheat when putting it in the overhead bins. First, it goes in sideways, second I put something in front of it so it doesn’t get crushed when closing the overhead door.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 02-11-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Playing music on a mission trip in a couple of weeks. My Voyage Air (with JJB-330) will be coming along to make it happen. Constantly amazed by it. And it's all laminate? But for what I use it for it's perfect. Thanks Harvey!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion