The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Default NGD: Applegate Ziricote / PO Cedar

Long time lurker, first time poster and all that...

This is my first post on AGF. I was inspired by the Kinnaird Ziricote/POC thread to share a little about my newest (and favorite) guitar.

Brian Applegate built this guitar for, and exhibited it at, the 2013 Healdsburg Guitar Festival. I feel very fortunate to be the first and only owner of this masterpiece, despite it being built 2.5 years ago. It's his "FS" model in a full scale (25.4") 14 fret configuration.

The top is Port Orford Cedar with a Bocote / Abalone rosette. The back and sides are of quarter sawn Ziricote. The bindings are Bocote. The neck is a 5 piece laminate of Ziricote and Bocote. Bridge and fingerboard are made of a beautiful Macassar Ebony which matches the Ziricote really well.

The volume and projection Brian was able to get out of this body size is nothing short of amazing. It holds up to my Martin D-42, while having a much more bell-like tone. The combination of ringing clarity on attack, rich overtones without getting muddy, a very responsive instrument with a lot of headroom before sounding overdriven, have all made this my favorite guitar. It is head and shoulders above the quality, fit, finish, and tone of any other guitar I've ever personally played.

I've already let Brian know that another Applegate is definitely in my future for 2016; we just need to work out the details.

Please forgive the poor photos. It's crazy hard to get good pictures without the gloss finish making everything a mirror! Thanks for reading, and for a great forum like AGF.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a stunning guitar, bobernet! The craftsmanship is truly first rate, and all of the woods are definitely primo--the bridge and fingerboard are amazing, as are the back, top, and sides. Kudos for finding this masterpiece!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Congrats on the Applegate! I love his trademark interlocking diamond rosette and every Applegate that I have owned have been spectacular. Brian is a very skilled craftsman and his builds are impeccable. Enjoy that wonderful guitar for many years to come!

Last edited by Chedeng88; 02-22-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow - Another beauty from Applegate. Love the fretboard and rosette on this little guitar. All of Brian's guitars that I've played have been stellar.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:28 PM

That is a great looking guitar - thanks for sharing! Does "FS" stand for finger style? I particularly love the laminated neck - and everything else, really. Congratulations!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Beautiful.....the total package!!! Many congrats!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful indeed! I haven't seen bocote around that much, it sure goes well with Ziricote. Very elegant, congrats.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That is a great looking guitar - thanks for sharing! Does "FS" stand for finger style? I particularly love the laminated neck - and everything else, really. Congratulations!
FS does stand for "finger style." It's just a tad smaller bodied than his typical SJ.

SJ: Upper bout - 11.2, Lower bout - 15.25, Waist - 9.3

FS: Upper bout - 10.6, Lower bout - 14.25, Waist - 8.9

Both have a body length about 19.5, and the depth of both is about the same 3.8 at the head block and 4.5/4.6 at the tail block.

All in US inches.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Um... yep, that's a stunner. I love the whole thing!. How's the neck weight with all that Ziricote? did he use carbon graphite to lighten it up?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Um... yep, that's a stunner. I love the whole thing!. How's the neck weight with all that Ziricote? did he use carbon graphite to lighten it up?
There's a bunch in the back and sides too. It balances well, and isn't overly neck heavy. No carbon graphite, just wood.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments so far! Brian is doing amazing work, and I expect to keep seeing great things from him.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:58 PM

Stunning. Enjoy in good health.

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 02-23-2016, 06:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Congrats on the Applegate! I love his trademark interlocking diamond rosette and every Applegate that I have owned have been spectacular. Brian is a very skilled craftsman and his builds are impeccable. Enjoy that wonderful guitar for many years to come!
All of that X 2! I've only owned one of Brian's guitars but I gotta say that his rosette always reaches out and grabs me and makes me want to buy another. I'm sure that this will be a great guitar for you! Congratulations!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beautiful

What a sweetheart! Enjoy her in fine health...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 PM

Default A note about Ziricote, cracks, and Brian Applegate...

There have been more than a few discussions about Ziricote that end with something along the lines of universal appreciation for its beauty and tone, and fear that without rigid and nearly perfect humidity control, an expensive guitar will be a cracked heap of lumber.

I live at about 6000' elevation in a Utah mountain valley where winters are cold and snowy, and house interiors can get dry - even with direct humidification. I run a Vornado in my guitar room, but still see a winter time range of high 30's to high-40s RH. Needless to say, I had concerns when I was considering this guitar, so I discussed it with Brian directly. Here's what I learned...

The treatment of the wood before building makes a difference. Properly aging the wood and ensuring an appropriate moisture level (dry enough) before building the guitar is paramount. Brian does this.

The build environment makes a difference. Brian intentionally builds in an environment between 40%-45% RH (which is lower than many luthiers and factories) specifically to account for the drier conditions where many of his guitars will live.

Finally, here were Brian's parting comments on the topic:
Quote:
I do not expect that you will have any cracking issues if you can keep the instrument in a humidity environment above the high 30's. Should you have an issue with this or anything else, know that I am happy to take care of it.
So, if you have interest in a guitar that takes advantage of the awesome traits of Ziricote, know that Brian Applegate is someone who can accommodate you and allay any concerns you have about durability/stability.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop