The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Default Gustav Fredell

Earlier this week I purchased from Brett McLaughlin on the AGF classifieds an OM recently completed by Ray Kraut, effectively a new guitar. It was a face to face sale, and included a warranty transfer from Ray Kraut to me. Upon completion of the sale, Brett sent Ray an email, copy to me, introducing me to Ray and suggesting that I would shortly be in touch regarding warranty arrangements. Thus Ray Kraut knew my name, was expecting to hear from me. I sent him a note the following morning. He responded today telling me that a number of Somogyi graduates were gathering soon at Somogyi HQ to honor and remember Gustav Fredell, that he thought my story could be perhaps a small honor to his memory were I to relate it on AGF. Rather than try to tell it again it is simpler for me to reproduce my note. It includes reference to the OM which I'm sure Ray would prefer I omit, but I don’t think the story is complete without it. As well, his work deserves all the recognition it can get. Herewith my note to Ray Kraut upon my purchase of Brett McLaughlin’s new Kraut OM:

Ray Kraut

Dear Ray,

Toward the end of 2013, after years of considering a very high end guitar, I commenced an order through Dream with Gustav Fredell. I had never played one of this instruments and do not consider myself in the fraternity or in the know as to how best go about these things, who to see, what to ask, etc etc. But I had done my homework as I could. Over a period of maybe three months he and I exchanged a number of emails and when we were done, except for a few small details we had a guitar mapped out. The process of doing so was one the most delightful writing and sharing exercises in which I have ever engaged. I found him to be a superb listener, generous in the extreme with his time and in all things upon which we touched, all with a wonderful sense of humor. This period carried us through Christmas which brought personal stories out of both of us, and by the time we were done, he was completely enveloped by my trust and gratitude, and I in his generosity and willingness. The build was to commence in about a year and we went silent in allowing the time to pass.

Something over a month ago I received an email from Paul Heumiller at Dream which I suspected to be about the commencement of the start and the need to wrap up the few details remaining. Instead of course I got the news. It is unlike me, but I was shaken and upset, and felt the need to speak to someone who knew him, as if to stand and say my few words of eulogy as to what a fine and considerate man I knew him to be from the exchange I describe above. But I had no place to turn.

I sought assistance from Dream in finding a substitute, experimented with a couple of guitars, to no avail.

When things had settled some for me, I was largely of the mind to forget about a build and to avoid conditional purchases which involved shipping and uncertainty. When I came across Brett’s ad I saw a photograph of what in essence Gustav intended. I passed on by because I imagined the long conversation I wanted to avoid as to risk, returns, insurance, clearing, on and on. While I was not actively shopping I passed by it couple of more times, lingering as I did, assuming for some reason it was on the west coast. I then noticed it was almost literally around the corner, objections fell away, you know the rest.

I recall that the two of you if not in the same class, were at least classmates [nb: I am mistaken]. At the time, as I looked for more news I saw the words in memorium from Jason Kostal, who I believe also shared the same stretch. I tell you this story because in my life, as cornball as it may sound, there are times when events arrange themselves in a gentle touch to remind you that there is a grace and poetry much larger than we can see which carries us through this world much more than we can know. To me, this is mostly about you not me, a way of his telling you that he chose you to complete something as to which he ultimately found himself unable.

In any case, this is the most beautiful instrument I have ever heard, much less played, built with a competence and reserve far beyond anything for which I could have asked. And I have found a way to say what I wanted to at the time of his loss. Thank you.

Last edited by halfmoon; 04-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:23 PM

Wow. Reading this–and having met you a few days ago–this makes me very very happy. I can't imagine a sweeter ending to my own chapter with Ray, and this is simply a far better outcome than I could have imagined.

I also knew Gustav well, and managed to be entwined with that first XS guitar of his that garnered so much attention. That somehow the Kraut managed to satisfy a customer/client of his? That's pretty **** cool.

So well done, Rick. What a fantastic email, and I'm glad to have been a small part. Plus I just plain liked you.

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoon View Post
Dear Ray,

Toward the end of 2013, after years of considering a very high end guitar, I commenced an order through Dream with Gustav Fredell. I had never played one of this instruments and do not consider myself in the fraternity or in the know as to how best go about these things, who to see, what to ask, etc etc. But I had done my homework as I could. Over a period of maybe three months he and I exchanged a number of emails and when we were done, except for a few small details we had a guitar mapped out. The process of doing so was one the most delightful writing and sharing exercises in which I have ever engaged. I found him to be a superb listener, generous in the extreme with his time and in all things upon which we touched, all with a wonderful sense of humor. This period carried us through Christmas which brought personal stories out of both of us, and by the time we were done, he was completely enveloped by my trust and gratitude, and I in his generosity and willingness. The build was to commence in about a year and we went silent in allowing the time to pass.

Something over a month ago I received an email from Paul Heumiller at Dream which I suspected to be about the commencement of the start and the need to wrap up the few details remaining. Instead of course I got the news. It is unlike me, but I was shaken and upset, and felt the need to speak to someone who knew him, as if to stand and say my few words of eulogy as to what a fine and considerate man I knew him to be from the exchange I describe above. But I had no place to turn.

I sought assistance from Dream in finding a substitute, experimented with a couple of guitars, to no avail.

When things had settled some for me, I was largely of the mind to forget about a build and to avoid conditional purchases which involved shipping and uncertainty. When I came across Brett’s ad I saw a photograph of what in essence Gustav intended. I passed on by because I imagined the long conversation I wanted to avoid as to risk, returns, insurance, clearing, on and on. While I was not actively shopping I passed by it couple of more times, lingering as I did, assuming for some reason it was on the west coast. I then noticed it was almost literally around the corner, objections fell away, you know the rest.

I recall that the two of you if not in the same class, were at least classmates [nb: I am mistaken]. At the time, as I looked for more news I saw the words in memorium from Jason Kostal, who I believe also shared the same stretch. I tell you this story because in my life, as cornball as it may sound, there are times when events arrange themselves in a gentle touch to remind you that there is a grace and poetry much larger than we can see which carries us through this world much more than we can know. To me, this is mostly about you not me, a way of his telling you that he chose you to complete something as to which he ultimately found himself unable.

In any case, this is the most beautiful instrument I have ever heard, much less played, built with a competence and reserve far beyond anything for which I could have asked. And I have found a way to say what I wanted to at the time of his loss. Thank you.
So very well said.

Steve
Old 04-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoon View Post
I tell you this story because in my life, as cornball as it may sound, there are times when events arrange themselves in a gentle touch to remind you that there is a grace and poetry much larger than we can see which carries us through this world much more than we can know. To me, this is mostly about you not me, a way of his telling you that he chose you to complete something as to which he ultimately found himself unable.

Hoping it's not out of place for a noob to the community to chime in here, but, simply...

Bravo!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:52 PM

My respect to you, Rick. Very well said indeed.

Last edited by Scholar; 04-03-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Rick, that's a very eloquent and gracious tribute to Mr. Fredell

We can all only wish to be so thoughtfully remembered by those who we cross paths with.

Thank You for sharing that with us.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Thanks for sharing this.....wonderful and powerful!
My congrats on a beautiful guitar.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Very cool story, and... I mean, no pressure or anything, but I'd love to see some pics... maybe even video / sounds if you can
Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 AM

Hi Rick...

Your message to Ray gave me goosebumps...
It was heartfelt... Gustav has very high regard for Ray, as he mentioned it to me often in his emails.
Most of their guitars have lattice braced backs...
Im sure Gustav smilingly nods at your decision to get the Kraut OM... and Im sure its a wonderful guitar.

Last edited by Fsgeek; 04-04-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing such eloquence....What also comes through is just how deep and fundamental is our connection with our instruments and those within that perimeter. Something we probably silently acknowledge everyday....

Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 04-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

That's a REALLY cool story with a really cool ending. That would make a great movie.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Rick,

Thank you for sharing your sincere words regarding your experiences with Gustav, and your thoughts and feelings on the place that he held in our community, and ultimately in our hearts. I am really happy that Ray's beautiful guitar has found a new home with you, and know that you will enjoy it for years to come as you are reminded each day how much bigger music is than all of us. Congratulations on your new purchase, and thank you again for sharing this with all of us.

Respectfully,

Jason
Old 04-05-2015, 06:57 AM

Default Gustav

Jason,

In the midst of choosing woods he sent me a paragraph mentioning a particular brazilian set which he had obtained from you with which he had returned to Finland. He was happy to show it to me, but that I must keep in mind that with new rules I would bear risk of loss should it be stopped in transit. As such, I passed. You are the only other person he mentioned to me and he had no idea whether I would recognize your name. It was clear from his companion words that he was speaking of you not so much as a colleague but as a close and valued friend.

Paul Heumiller’s note to me did not discuss circumstance and I thought perhaps I could learn more on the net. That is when I found your heartfelt words of parting and it was no surprise to me that they were authored by you.

Both Brett McLaughlin and Ray explained to me independently that the commission of this guitar was without any guidance from Brett, that Ray was entirely free to shape this project by his own device and by implication, was available to any voice which spoke from within. Please don’t take any of this as new age talk, I am a businessman, but infrequently, in times of quiet and patience, there is a part of me that briefly knows and sees some of the metaphysics of the cosmos, if you will, to be true, integrally, where all things makes sense, appear in a spiritual context, are in natural sequence. And when these connections come, such as the thoughts as to Gustav, it seems to be from the same place that I can sometimes go when playing guitar, when I become part of it, am inside it, am no longer here. I was taken here the first time I played Ray’s OM alone.

To the extent this guitar is a message from Gustav, I think it must be a similar message to all of you who knew him from music and gave to him. Though I have no way of knowing, it is easy to imagine that it was your collective attention and caring which kept his demons at bay for as long as they did.

With kindest regards,

Rick

Last edited by halfmoon; 04-05-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: diction
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Rick, Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Very thoughtfully expressed and serendipitous. I hope your new Kraut guitar provides years of enjoyment.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Rick,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your story with all of us. The passing of our friend Gustav has hit a lot of us hard and to hear your story is truly up lifting. I’m honored in knowing that the guitar is allowing you to express the feelings of your experience.

Making music is about expressing emotions and feelings. The core of my practice is about building guitars that easily allow people to do this. It does my heart good to hear that is happening for you with this guitar.

Tragedy often brings people together who would otherwise not have met. These meetings are often fortuitous. I can easily say that about meeting you.

I built this guitar as if I was building it for myself. I loved its voice when it was finished and I’m glad to hear its voice speaks to you too.

Let us all continue to make music.

Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop