The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Any carbon fiber manufacturer that makes nylon string instruments will get my attention! So umm... Hurry up and make it happen not-Emerald and not-Rainsong brands!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I like wood, but for acoustics, the convenience and ability to take punishment makes CF superior for folks like me who have neither the time nor inclination to baby our instruments.
This! As Captain Jim would say, "I came for the durability and stayed for superb instruments I found". Sorry I mangled the quote, but this is why I converted to CF. I have a Blackbird Lucky 13 which is sublime and a 2013 X20 which is my workhorse these days. I have flirted with other CF manufacturers and even have an Ovation or two sitting around the house, but the above two named guitars are keepers and have convinced me to stop looking at wood guitars.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 02-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
And they (as exemplified above) are managing their social media presence very well. No wonder they are getting all the airtime.

Maybe Rainsong, Journey, Peavey/CA and the others don't feel the need to be so visible. The market will play out, as it should.

In the meantime, silly comments about fanboys and fanclubs are just that - silly.
So social media engagement is the key to dominating this section? Interesting. And you are correct, it would appear that Rainsong, Journey, CA and the other big players don't feel the need to be visible on this forum.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
So social media engagement is the key to dominating this section? Interesting. And you are correct, it would appear that Rainsong, Journey, CA and the other big players don't feel the need to be visible on this forum.
I do see that RainSong is making some effort on Facebook. Social media is a lot more than just this forum.

While there are a lot of posts with Emerald content on this sub-forum, it is the enthusiastic participants here who make it what it is, not any particular manufacturer.

I have seen this situation on other forums, specifically: boats and RVs. If there is some participation by the manufacturers, there is more of a connection between them and their buyers. In visiting with a boat manufacturer CEO who saw their business declining, I point blankly stated that their VP of Marketing had moved on and they had zero presence on social media... they were generating no excitement to potential buyers. He said to me: "The dealers are our customers, not the boat buyers."

I said, "Without boat buyers, you have no customers. You think you are building boats, but your former VP understood that you are building dreams and lifestyles. People can buy a boat anywhere - if you can show them that your boats are all about the lifestyle they want, they will buy them. Your former VP is now with another company who understands that, and their business is rapidly increasing."

He blamed it on the economy. And then they went bankrupt and had to sell the assets of the company (and for the record, they made great boats). The other company is flourishing.

From my perspective, he was completely out of touch. In today's world, it really isn't "build it and they will come", regardless of the product. To bring this back to guitars, Emerald understands their buyers. They have cultivated enthusiasm with their buyers. Buyers send them videos and photos because they are proud of the unique guitars. Emerald posts regularly on Facebook, and I assume on other social media. They are marketing smart: releasing videos on different social media with guitars they are shipping, showing a great variety of colors, models, veneers. Videos showing new veneer arrivals. Releasing their monthly Select Series. Offering (and showing) custom changes for their customers. Regularly creating interest in what they make.

And, the other CF manufacturers... are not. It is clearly a case of one manufacturer tuning into the desires of guitar buyers, and the others thinking that they are in the business of making guitars. There is nothing "fan boi" about this observation. Smart business on their part and enthusiastic buyers. Frankly, they make great guitars. So do some other manufacturers, wood and CF.

As far as a presence on this sub-forum, Alistair does make a post now and then, but he certainly isn't a regular here. But some of the people who buy his guitars are here. And, having watched a few of those "shipping" videos, there are plenty of buyers who aren't here. While carbon fiber is what this sub-forum is all about, it looks to me like we are not the only ones buying CF guitars.

I guess I don't see what the sniping is about. Read what interests you, skip the rest. Want to talk about or ask questions about your choice? I see no restriction on that. Should any particular manufacturer put effort into social media? Only if they want to generate interest with buyers. The fact that any manufacturer "doesn't want to be visible" on any form of social media says more about them than this sub-forum, or any buyer's choice of instrument. What business doesn't want to generate interest in their product?? Smart thinking: go where the buyers are.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
There’s no ‘key to dominating this section’. My comment was way more general.

The AGF Carbon Fiber sub-forum is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Methos, sounds like this is nothing new. I searched further with no gain. If you don't mind, can you share the post title that you had the related discussion? Thanks!
There was a thread some time back where someone seemed to be complaining that the CF subforum was turning into an Emerald-only subforum. I looked back quite a ways but could not find it. It might have been removed by the mods? Not sure.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 PM

They dominate the forum for a lot of good reasons. The customizations alone put them miles ahead of everyone else, let alone all the other things they do. I don't understand what the big deal is.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Default thanks!

Thank you to everyone of you for the insights!

The cause of this thread, I will not deny it. First time I read "Fan Boy," I chuckled. Second time, ok. From then on, it is getting way old and disrespectful to those who recognize something good first-hand and have hearts kind enough to share with the rest of us.

If someone has issues good or bad with any CF, share with the rest of us...
Even if it is all superlatives with no reasoning or facts, just the passion and enthusiasm alone are worth it and these 'fan boys' will chime it, share the joy, agony, whatever you bring to the table. Shoot, they might even give you an advice or two... ( I think Kramster said something about his fetish with 'bevels.' I would not follow his footsteps unless you want to bevel your account. )

Git

p.s. Thank you, Methos, for looking!

Last edited by Gitaman; 03-01-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:57 PM

I own guitars by Rainsong (2), Blackbird (2), Composite Acoustics, and Emerald (5). Call me a fan boy if you must, but I know what works for me. YMMV.....
Old 02-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Exactly Earl,
Shoulda seen the big green on my face this morning with the heater blasting defrosting my bones, two beuties next to my bed within my reach, "Hummmm, of660 or X7?"

and you have... how many?

(Usually Journey in the early morngs)

Last edited by Gitaman; 02-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
There was a thread some time back where someone seemed to be complaining that the CF subforum was turning into an Emerald-only subforum. I looked back quite a ways but could not find it. It might have been removed by the mods? Not sure.
Never saw it so I don't know how long ago that was but it was certainly an astute observation.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

In the less grand scheme of things (in my world), this sub-forum is significant for me. I like the guitars, but I also feel like this place has a civility that is missing in a lot of forums. I will admit that I have been influenced by posts here, but I really appreciate the sharing and interaction. It doesn't matter to me what brand or model. Good information, some humor, and passion. I pick up a guitar almost every day... just like I check this sub-forum almost every day.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM

I've been thinking about this sub forum and let me just say that I think it is fantastic. I'm also into political and religious debate outside of this forum which is good for me for a couple reasons:

1- it gives me that outlet and it is to be completely expected that things will not go civil there. It helps give me a thicker skin.

2- it keeps me out of trouble here

But I love the AGF because there is a lot of great knowledge and people here and I find this especially true here on the subforum. Many of you here have even met one another, and while I have not yet personally met anyone that could easily change.

The moderators are great at keeping the peace and I get this vibe that we are "tight" like brothers and sisters. i know that might sound a bit cheesy but I would rather listen to advice here, buy or sell a guitar here, or just simply share my opinions here over anywhere else.

Yes, we do disagree sometimes and even get a bit mouthy. Brothers do that. I've had my guitar called ugly, and so then I go and pick it up and play it. I don't care what you think! Yes, we do have times when a specific brand is in the spotlight and right now that brand on the CF forum is Emerald. So what? They deserve every bit of praise they receive. I'm personally thankful for Alistair and CO and the work they do both on and off the field and I've not even bought one of their guitars. Trust me when I say that the guys over in the wood section are rubbernecking too.

While I've not ever owned an Emerald, much less even touched one, I find that I read every post of every thread and even watch their shipping videos- and I HATE Facebook. i see a Emerald in my future and it is largely influenced by the knowledge here. Where else are you gonna get this valuable information? I bought 5 acoustic guitars over the years since I've been playing strictly acoustic and 3 of those decisions were enabled by AGF advice/opinion. The other 2 guitars were bought before I was even a member here. And guess which guitars I've bought were my favorites? All the ones I researched here first, and that is saying something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber