The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margotrich View Post
Hi guys thanks for all the advice. As of now, I think I'm leaning towards the D-28.. I play all types of music so I'm looking for the best all-around guitar. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
Yes I think the d28 is the best all arounder. If you can swing an Hd28 or better yet a hd28v, that will be a really really good guitar.

I like the d18 because I flatpicking bluegrass leads in a large jam, the d18 cuts through the mix really well. It's an excellent flatpicker, the d35 I view as more of a strummer, and the d28 lies in the middle, able to do both very well

Of course all 3 guitars can sound good strumming and flatpicking, but I think that they have different strengths
Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

The D-18 will be a great all-arounder and particularly good for lead work with good articulation and clarity. Has a nice medium sized MLO neck with 1 3/4 nut with 2 3/16 string spacing.

The D-28 is also an excellent all-arounder but will be slightly bass heavy and have a midrange tonal scoop. The neck is the thinner Low Profile with 1 11/16 nut and 2 1/8 string spacing.

The D-35 is more suited for solo and singer/songwriter use. Not a particularly good flatpicker. It has more of an enveloping rather than a projective sound. The thinner 1/4" bracing contributes a very bass dominant tone with a significant midrange tonal scoop. Same neck as the D-28.

Hope this helps.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Can't tell you which will suit you better. I have a D-18 Adi and a HD-28V Adi...love them both. Jon & Sharon at My Favorite Guitars are wonderful people and great to deal with. I have purchased several Martin's from them. Great pricing and excellent service! I have LR Baggs Lyric bridge plate mics in both of the Martin's listed above. They sound just like the guitar unplugged...only louder.
Finally...welcome to the forum!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hi guys thanks for all the advice. As of now, I think I'm leaning towards the D-28.. I play all types of music so I'm looking for the best all-around guitar. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
D-28 with a K&K Pure Mini pickup...

Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 AM

OK, the D-28 may be for you then. As for the pickup do you play by yourself, in a small group or with a full band? The K&K is a pretty lively pickup so if you have to turn it up because you play with a drummer and electric instruments you'll probably at least want a feedback buster to put in the soundhole. I'd also look into JJB Prestige pickups. They're similar but half the price for some reason. I have no experience with them yet but just ordered one with the intent of putting it in my Martin D-16GT which I play in a small acoustic group in church.

Also, how do you feel about strap buttons? I'd be all for it. On any of the guitars you're looking at it should be a non issue. My D-16GT has a metal bolt in there somewhere though.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 AM

There are so many variables to consider it is hard to judge between several guitars as to which one is best for you.

I have a HD-28 and a D-18 and I can say that on any given day one will sound better to me than the other. It really depends on how fresh are the strings and I haven't decided which strings I like best yet and which ones compliment the sound of the guitar and fit my touch best. Decisions... decisions!!!!

These are variables that will effect any guitar you try out at the store too.

You need more time with a guitar to really know if it is yours or not.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM

For me it would be the 35. I've owned all of them, and I own an HD35 currently. It's pretty hard to beat for what I do. They are obviously all great guitars though.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Which to get! Also, which pickup and is my favorite guitars a trusted website?
Thanks!
If you can afford it, get the authentic versions. Otherwise my vote is always for a D28.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Hi Margo, Welcome to the AGF. I think that's a great choice, especially if you're in an ensemble. Have you played The D-18, D-35, and D-28 before? What is making you lean towards the D-28?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

A lot of love here for the 35. Personally it would be the bronze medalist of the bunch for me. A fine guitar for some applications, but it doesn't fit how I play. To be fair, they do tend to sound wonderful from the driver's seat, but lack the clarity and articulation of the other two when you're out in front of it. Yes, this is the classic D-35s are mushy, boomy, indistinct, and break up too quickly when you really push them hard dig. But I'm sticking with it. Oh, and I also don't really like white binding.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM

I have all three, all straight-braced. Most of the time, I prefer the D-28. Other times, I go through a spell when the D-18 just does it better than the others. But lately, I have a new love affair with my neglected D-35. These three guitars have managed to stifle my GAS, and there are no other guitars on my radar. I would be loathe to have to part with any of them.

I know that there are other wonderful guitars out there, but I'm really not interested. I would love to someday own a really old D-18 or a D-28, or even a BRW D-35, but I doubt that I will ever be in a position to afford one. As far as advising you on which model to buy, any of the three would be a fine choice. Just keep playing different ones until the right one hits you upside the head. There are no easy answers, and all of us like different things. Happy hunting...
Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM

The 18 and 35 are probably my two all time favorites. tons of picking i'd go 18. A lot of strumming with some picking I'd go 35. 35 just has such a presence about the sound, I don't know how else to put it.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Martin D18/D35/D28

I just recently got my D35 and I also was debating. I play a more percussive style, lot of strumming, string muting, & some blues. When I compared them, the D35 just spoke better to me. I do like the increased bass response and to me, it just sounded more balanced.

The D18 was good, but like someone else mentioned, the D18GE was insane. But i wanted to keep my budget below $2500. I definitely want a D18GE one of tbese days.

Martin D-35
Taylor 314ce
Fender Classic Series 60's
Epi LP Tribute Plus
Vox AC15
Vox VT40+
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 PM

Get the D-18. It is far better sounding than the nasally sounding D-28:

Even better, go for an HD-28V.

The D-28 is nothing compared to what it used to be. Today it is a severely downgraded version from its pre-war days.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Yes I think the d28 is the best all arounder. If you can swing an Hd28 or better yet a hd28v, that will be a really really good guitar.

I like the d18 because I flatpicking bluegrass leads in a large jam, the d18 cuts through the mix really well. It's an excellent flatpicker, the d35 I view as more of a strummer, and the d28 lies in the middle, able to do both very well

Of course all 3 guitars can sound good strumming and flatpicking, but I think that they have different strengths
I don't think the OP mentioned whether they were looking new or used. If you're looking in the used market, there are a ton of great 10-20 year old HD-28s out there at any time. I strongly you suggest at least playing one. The price difference for a used D-28 vs HD-28 is probably only a couple hundred bucks.

Others here can educate you better, but I believe the step-up features are scalloped bracing and that wonderful herringbone trim everywhere you look. I believe the "H" stands for herringbone when they actually used herringbone, although now it's plastic (but still looks really cool and sexy).

Keep up posted......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, d28, d35, martin