The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Ouch. I resemble that remark.

But your "comfort" guitar allows you to slouch on the couch with the morning news in the background while you work on a tune, or hunch over a laptop following a video lesson, or chime in on the fly on a tune you don't know when playing with others. That guitar fills a niche.

Perhaps it's not so much that it can't be done with a another guitar, it just doesn't happen with as much ease.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageom View Post
Yep. I never watch TV for hours on a straight-backed, perfect posture guitar chair while doing scales and noodling. I use a small, comfortable guitar.
That's what I do, almost every night, for hours.
I'm in a recliner, with a small guitar, with the TV on (low), and me whittlin' and noodlin' away.

If I were more formal, especially with that big guitar, I wouldn't get anywhere near the play time I do.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I’ve held onto my beautiful and glorious sounding Gurian all these years despite the fact that my stubby fingers had to squeeze onto its 2-5/8”’nut width. It was as often a problem, but I just have loved the way that guitar shimmers.
Mine too (although mine as a 1-5/8" nut )!

I have sold glorious sounding guitars because they were cumbersome to play (notably my Lowden O32).
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 04-09-2024, 03:35 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Both tone and comfort are very important in an acoustic guitar, but their relative importance depends on your individual playing style and priorities. Here's a breakdown to help you decide:

Comfort:

Essential for Playing: If a guitar is uncomfortable to hold or play, it will discourage you from picking it up. This can hinder your progress and enjoyment.

Factors to Consider: Body size, neck shape, action (string height), and overall weight all contribute to comfort.

Tone:

Affects Inspiration: The sound of your guitar is a huge part of the musical experience. A guitar with a tone you love inspires you to play and experiment.

Factors to Consider: Wood selection, body size and shape, and bracing all influence the tonal characteristics.

Here's how to weigh them:

Beginners: Comfort might be slightly more important for beginners. A comfortable guitar makes playing less frustrating and helps build calluses and muscle memory.

Experienced Players: As your skills develop, tone might become a bigger priority. You'll have a better understanding of the sound you want and be comfortable adapting to different guitars.

Finding the Balance:

The good news is you don't necessarily have to choose. Here are some tips for finding a guitar that offers both comfort and tone:

Try Before You Buy: Play a variety of guitars and see which feels most comfortable and inspires you the most sonically.

Action Adjustments: A good guitar technician can adjust the action on most guitars to make them more comfortable to play.

EQ and Effects: If you find a comfortable guitar with a tone that's almost perfect, you can use an equalizer or effects pedals to fine-tune the sound.
Ultimately, the best guitar is the one that makes you want to play. Consider your priorities, experiment with different instruments, and find the one that feels like an extension of yourself.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:49 PM

I've never had an "uncomfortable" guitar. Or fiddle, or mandolin, or ukulele, or bass. I adjust the action, add an armrest, get a comfortable strap, etc.

I have body sizes, shapes, nut widths, scale lengths, string spacing, etc. all over (and beyond) what typical AGF'ers require.

It's just not a thing for me.

What is a thing (for me) is aesthetics. I won't pick up a guitar with a painted/printed top, ugly sunburst or a gaudy inlay, no matter how great it sounds.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Tone vs. Comfort

Good technique, playing posture and guitar positioning all go a long way to address certain discomfort issues. I had a fretting hand injury and ended up having the necks on 2 of my favorite guitars re-shaped so I could comfortably keep playing them without risk of further injury.
I am picky about my guitar specs and am fortunate to now own 4 guitars that have measurements within my playing comfort zone. I find that the more that I play and switch between guitars with different nut widths, scale lengths, string spacing, etc., the more transparent it becomes.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-09-2024, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I had a wonderful-sounding Larrivee that was beautiful in every way (looks, tone, volume, build quality, etc.). But between too-narrow string spacing at the bridge saddle and a too-flat radius, it was a mistake-generating machine when I played up-tempo intricate stuff. Took me years to finally accept that my other (four) guitars play so much better - for my styles anyway. Sold it and never looked back.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

It's the necks that get me. I had a great Huss & Dalton TDM with an Adirondack top but the neck was so fat it just wasn't comfortable. But what a great sounding guitar. I also had a really nice Martin OM-18 Authentic but again the neck was too fat for me. I really find the new Martin low oval/performing artist taper to be the most comfortable for me. I know there's a lot of people that don't like that shape but for me if it doesn't have a comfortable neck and the tone I'm looking for then it's not for me.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 04-09-2024, 04:41 PM

Doesn't this kind of fall under the " it sure is ugly but it plays great" and "it sure is pretty but sounds horrible and is awful to play" as well???

I have 2 identical guitars 1 year apart. The pretty grained version sounds good but doesn't play as well as the not so pretty wood finish with small issues.

With that said I have decided to sell the pretty one of you will and keep the one that is not as pretty but plays like a champ.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember ever having a guitar that was physically difficult to play (aside from fret issues). Some are more comfortable than others but it's never to the extent that comfort is a factor for me.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies. The question is perhaps….might someone keep a guitar in their stable that played great, sounded pretty good, but was not as comfortable as their daily drivers? It starts to get into that how many is too much conversation.

Last edited by waterlooz; 04-10-2024 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2024, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Smile Comfort is King

I am NOT going to play anything that is not COMFORTABLE…

Doesn’t matter how good it sounds. If it hurts to play, it goes away! Haha

Fortunately for me John Kinnard has built me some BEAUTIFUL guitars that fit me perfectly and sound spectacular too. The best of all worlds.

One more is coming soon. Man am I spoiled!

Play what calls to YOU and have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-09-2024, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I will never sacrifice playability or comfort for tone. My view is that if you find it difficult or irritating to play, you won't pick it up regularly, so what's the point in keeping it?

Thankfully, we don't have to compromise today. There are tons of guitars that have both qualities, limited only by our wallets and the patience to find them.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-09-2024, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
Mine too (although mine as a 1-5/8" nut )!

I have sold glorious sounding guitars because they were cumbersome to play (notably my Lowden O32).
Sorry. Of course I meant 1-5/8”.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-09-2024, 09:44 PM
Get off my lawn kid

My Martin D-16 GT nut width is a little tight for my fat fingers, but it sounds very good, plus my wife got it for me as an anniversary present back in 2005 so it stays.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I’ve held onto my beautiful and glorious sounding Gurian all these years despite the fact that my stubby fingers had to squeeze onto its 2-5/8”’nut width. It was often a problem, but I just have loved the way that guitar shimmers.

Yes.

IMG_1712724070.492682.jpg

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion