The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Which Modern Builders are best Replicating the Pre War Sound?

I have been reading numerous posts about different guitars having that "Pre" War" sound. I imagine that relatively few people have a chance to play a truly vintage pre war, say Martin, it would be helpful to get some opinions to whom is best replicating those timeless instruments.

I wanted to ask, who do you think is the best or among the best shops building guitars that best replicate that "Pre-War" sound?

Hope this is a productive discussion.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
I have been reading numerous posts about different guitars having that "Pre" War" sound. I imagine that relatively few people have a chance to play a truly vintage pre war, say Martin, it would be helpful to get some opinions to whom is best replicating those timeless instruments.

I wanted to ask, who do you think is the best or among the best shops building guitars that best replicate that "Pre-War" sound?

Hope this is a productive discussion.
For added fun: When a "Pre-war" guitar was built, it was brand new.

Nowadays when we play a "Pre-war" guitar next to (iirc) a Martin Authentic, we're hearing an aged guitar in playable condition next to a brand new guitar.

What did the pre-war guitars sound when they were brand new?
Old 07-06-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

No new guitar sounds like an 80 year old guitar. That said, Pre War Co makes some incredible guitars that sound (and look) older. They are no joke. The new Gibson historic custom shop series has an older woody sound and is a huge upgrade to their standards, and many of the Martin Authentics hit that bill as well (especially the D-1, 00-18, and OM-18 come to mind). I have played dozens of prewar Martins Nd Gibson (for reference). haven’t played many small shop luthiers, so can’t comment there.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:31 AM

I have not focused my knowledge on a pre-war sound but since someone knowledgeable has not yet stepped forth, will add a few out of many that could be mentioned.

PreWar
Faulini
Kevin Kopp
Jim Merrill
Bruce Sexauer (some of his, certainly not all)
CF Martin (of course)
John Slobod (Circa Guitars)
Preston Thompson
John Greven
Collings
Randy Lucas
Bob Thomposon
Roy Noble
Wayne Henderson
Lynn Dudenbostel
John Arnold

People can argue these things forever - our ears are all different. Some makers intend to replicate the old sound on certain instruments, but not all of the ones they make.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I have not focused my knowledge on a pre-war sound but since someone knowledgeable has not yet stepped forth, will add a few out of many that could be mentioned.

PreWar
Faulini
Kevin Kopp
Jim Merrill
CF Martin (of course)
Preston Thompson
John Greven
Collings
Randy Lucas
Bob Thomposon
Roy Noble
Wayne Henderson
Lynn Dudenbostel
John Arnold

People can argue these things forever - our ears are all different. Some makers intend to replicate the old sound on certain instruments, but not all of the ones they make.
I interpreted the question as "who's making new guitars that sound older right out of the box?" whereas you answered a ballpark "who's making new guitars in the spirit of how Martin or Gibson made guitars in the 30s?" Maybe OP can clarify what he's after.

To answer the former, the PreWarCo guitar I played (and several others heard) and new Gibson Historic Customs come closest to sounding like old guitars, to me. The Aged Martin Authentics a close second to those. I've never heard a Collings that sounded old and am not sure they qualify as pre-war construction, and several other builders on your list (while I've not played all those builders) make fine new-sounding guitars. And if you're answering the latter question, you've GOT to put Ken Hooper and Per Marklund on that list--the few I've played were incredible and in the tradition of old Martin construction.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Add TJ Thompson to the list...
Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 AM

Though I'd been focusing more on individual luthiers who have developed their "own thing", I've been looking into builders who are known for their recreation of that "pre-war" sound, especially Martins. Julius Borges belongs in the fine group already mentioned. Among the younger builders, Frankie Montuoro seems the most maniacally obsessed! Recreating down to the tuners, pickguard, etc. and he's quite esteemed for his Larson builds as well:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...-bench-copies/
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asobi View Post
Though I'd been focusing more on individual luthiers who have developed their "own thing", I've been looking into builders who are known for their recreation of that "pre-war" sound, especially Martins. Julius Borges belongs in the fine group already mentioned. Among the younger builders, Frankie Montuoro seems the most maniacally obsessed! Recreating down to the tuners, pickguard, etc. and he's quite esteemed for his Larson builds as well:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...-bench-copies/
As a Borges OM-28 owner (and an owner of a bunch of prewar Martins), I can say that Julius hits the mark really well (although the trebles on my Borges are warmer and fatter than on any original OM-28 I've played!).

There's a airy hollowness to the best vintage guitars that only comes with age, but some get eerily close to it and Julius does.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I purchased an MJ Franks Legacy OM used from a Forum member. It was built on the specs of a prewar Martin OM. Don’t have much experience playing prewar Martin’s but this guitar is one of the best standard OMs I’ve played. My Stonebridge OM, which has an aged top is on the same level as the MJ Franks for a lot less, and the aged top gives a bit more of an air to the sound then other Furch guitars i have played.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 07-06-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:31 AM

In terms of Gibson I would say Fairbanks is at the top of the list. If you are on a stricter budget there is the Iris line which is a collaboration between Dale Fairbanks and Adam Buchwald (Circle Strings).
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 AM

If you hop on over to the Pre*War thread on UMGF there are an awful lot of owners who own several prewar/wartime Martins who claim they get very close.

I love my PW 000-28 but I must confess I am eager to play the real deal and see where mine ends and those begin. There's definitely a gateway drug aspect to owning a guitar like this.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I interpreted the question as "who's making new guitars that sound older right out of the box?" whereas you answered a ballpark "who's making new guitars in the spirit of how Martin or Gibson made guitars in the 30s?" Maybe OP can clarify what he's after.

To answer the former, the PreWarCo guitar I played (and several others heard) and new Gibson Historic Customs come closest to sounding like old guitars, to me. The Aged Martin Authentics a close second to those. I've never heard a Collings that sounded old and am not sure they qualify as pre-war construction, and several other builders on your list (while I've not played all those builders) make fine new-sounding guitars. And if you're answering the latter question, you've GOT to put Ken Hooper and Per Marklund on that list--the few I've played were incredible and in the tradition of old Martin construction.
When i posted, I suppose sounding like a pre war era out of the box was my thinking. But, this discussion has been very educational as is.

Last edited by sjm1580; 07-06-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

The Santa Cruz Tony Rice Pro is the closest thing I've played to a mid 30s D-28.

Other builders that come to mind are Circa (John Slobod), Merrill, Blazer & Henkes, Wayne Henderston, TJ Thompson, and PreWar Guitar Company. Of course we can't leave out the Martin Authentic line!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM

You can still get a real prewar Gibson L-00, in relatively good condition, for the price of a new small-shop replica.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post

PreWar
Faulini
Kevin Kopp
Jim Merrill
CF Martin (of course)
Preston Thompson
John Greven
Collings
Randy Lucas
Bob Thomposon
Roy Noble
Wayne Henderson
Lynn Dudenbostel
John Arnold

Don't forget Caleb Smith, Rockbridge, Mike Long, Gallagher, Proux(sp?) Some Bourgeois and Santa Cruz on and on

Last edited by Scotso; 07-06-2020 at 10:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion