The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Default NGD: Collings SJ Koa Custom!

I have a stunner in my hands, comrades! Collings SJ Koa Custom with torrefied Sitka spruce top. Full-body sunburst. Some of you may be aware that I'd been searching for this model for a while, especially in Koa, only to have used examples get snatched up right before my eyes. The new Collings Koa SJs seemed prohibitively expensive and hard to come by - I'd since learned that Collings raised their prices recently, and they also don't currently have in stock any Koa that meets their expectations, so it could be a little bit until we see a Koa instrument from Collings. I'd also contemplated going with a custom option, but as I'm a newbie in this world, I wasn't comfortable dealing with the variables, so decided to stick to my guns with this Collings, given that I know about Collings' perfectionism and execution in material selection and construction. For sentimental reasons, too, I wanted a little piece of Austin with me, a city which I'd loved living in before pivoting back to the east coast 2 years ago.

So, after much hand-wringing and covid-induced obsessive internalizations, I decided to pull the trigger on a new Collings SJ Koa Custom model at The Music Emporium

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...d_sitka_custom

Though new, the serial number indicates my SJ is a 2018 vintage. I spoke to Joe Caruso at TME, first time dealing with him or TME. As some of you guys know, I'm relatively a neophyte in this guitar world, so I'd expected to be hustled into a buying decision. To my surprise, Joe was amazingly equanimous - he could I'm sure run circles around me with his vast guitar knowledge, but he never once directionally pointed or tilted me toward buying the guitar. But we talked for a long time about how I play, what instruments I own or aspire to, different luthiers and their philosophy as builders and their approach to materials. And I knew, beyond knowing for certain that I was purchasing the SJ Koa at the end of our conversation, that Joe and TME has a long-term customer and friend in me. Just an amazing experience from A to Z from TME: I bought the guitar late afternoon yesterday, and TME shipped the guitar out in time so that it's in my hand today!

First, the initial impressions on the sound. A full open chord strum and there's a deep, profound bass and fundamentals that ring. The sound is BIG, clear, with just the right amount of harmonics that decay into the air that doesn't tilt too much toward the yin in the richness territory. It was mesmerizingly and exactly the sound I'd imagined and wanted from the SJ Koa. I have a Brazilian RW OM in the works, so I didn't want an instrument with that kind of a creamy overtone profile. If the SJ Koa is a painter, she's a Caillebotte and not a Monet - exactly the way I want it. Pick a melody out and the way that each note projects, the intonation, are focused with that... ring. Difficult to describe this ring: it's not "bell-like" but it has a focused and bright voice that sings and sings. I just strummed the brains out of the guitar and the sound is resolutely and profoundly huge, resonant, powerful with a structural unity from top to bottom registers. I can't wait to find out how this beauty changes as it opens up over the years!

I'm a pretty shallow guy and I admit I wanted this guitar for its looks just as much as how she sounds! The caramel whiskey tone and palette of the sunburst on this SJ are just stunning, and works so well with the patterns of the Koa back and sides. Every element in the design is perfectly judged. No overtly fancy flourishes, but minimalistic and thoughtful ones. From the 3-style backstrip running down the spine of the Koa back, to the Modern Diamond fingerboard inlays running up to the Modern Diamond headstock inlay, the nickel Waverly tuners, whimsically finished with the "haircut" headstock. This is JUST right for me aesthetically (the pics came out a little dark from my crappy mobile phone). The full-body sunburst unifies all the elements together in a golden amber hue, and complements the SJ's delicious curves to perfection. This guitar is a sunset at dusk and bourbon darkly glowing in a glass. I named this girl Karen, after Anna Karenina, because she sounds sinfully good.

I have to give a special shout out to Wade Hampton in these forums. Wade and I, ironically enough, were in the same search for an elusive SJ Koa. I say ironic because I'm just an infant compared to the vast experience and knowledge that Wade has on guitars. Offline, he patiently took my questions and his counsel was invaluable. Thank you, Wade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_173931.jpg (37.8 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174605.jpg (42.1 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by asobi; 05-26-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Urr, sorry to piecemeal the pictures you guys, I don't know how to post pics on AGF and the attachments seem limited in capacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX Back 3.jpg (38.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg PSX Back 2.jpg (33.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Sorry for the dark quality to the pics - they're from my cheap android phone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174224.jpg (25.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174857.jpg (43.5 KB, 334 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM

Last pics. Please go to the TME link for better, prettier pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174820.jpg (26.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174041.jpg (26.1 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20200523_174413.jpg (31.3 KB, 329 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:20 PM

That is such a gorgeous guitar! I don’t think I’ve seen a more beautiful acoustic than that. Wow!!! Stunning!!!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:22 PM

Wow! I think my eyes just popped out. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pick my jaw up off the floor.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

What a beaut. Congratulations. I am generally not a fan of sunburst finishes, but this one is just splendid. I have spent some quality time at TME, and agree that the vibe is very agreeable. No pressure. No pitch. They know they got what you want. As for suggesting that being attracted to shiny objects makes you “shallow,” I think not. Makes you human. Or a bird. Or a baboon.
Many wonderful journeys lay ahead for you and you new friend. Enjoy!
David
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I saw that guitar has a sale pending message on TME website and wondered if you have bought it. I’ve played that guitar and it is - AWESOME! It’s a beautiful instrument in all ways. And TME are great people to work with. Congratulations!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Aw, thanks you guys! This guitar (Karen) frankly is way too good for me. As she ages, I hope to raise my skills to do her justice.

Deliberate1 - I have similar views. Usually think it's criminal to not let the naturalness of the top stand on its own, but I feel like this is an exception & really brings the woods and the design together.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:36 PM

Thank you, Haasome! Glad to know you'd played this guitar... so challenging putting into words how a thing sounds. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I saw that guitar has a sale pending message on TME website and wondered if you have bought it. I’ve played that guitar and it is - AWESOME! It’s a beautiful instrument in all ways. And TME are great people to work with. Congratulations!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM

It’s gorgeous, and it was fun to be a spectator and answer the few questions you needed to have answered. It was a vicarious pleasure of the purest kind to watch you progress and come to a decision on this.

The guitar you bought is very similar in appearance to the koa acoustic baritone guitar that Roy McAlister built for me. That sort of caramel brown sunburst goes perfectly with the koa back and sides.

Now go have fun with it!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, I'm a fan of he SJ body and sunburst finishes. Congrats!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 PM

Congratulations on a gorgeous guitar. Enjoy.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 05-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous!!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:46 PM

Wade, like it or not, you are my guitar mentor. I'm going to lean forever on you for knowledge on guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It’s gorgeous, and it was fun to be a spectator and answer the few questions you needed to have answered. It was a vicarious pleasure of the purest kind to watch you progress and come to a decision on this.

The guitar you bought is very similar in appearance to the koa acoustic baritone guitar that Roy McAlister built for me. That sort of caramel brown sunburst goes perfectly with the koa back and sides.

Now go have fun with it!

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion