The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Default I swear I'm getting stupider...

The more I learn on the guitar, the more I learn that I don't know. I frequently have to take a night to just have fun and play easy stuff. I'll practice tomorrow and feel stupid again. Tonight, I'll just strum a two chord song on the front porch and enjoy the moment.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
The more I learn on the guitar, the more I learn that I don't know. I frequently have to take a night to just have fun and play easy stuff. I'll practice tomorrow and feel stupid again. Tonight, I'll just strum a two chord song on the front porch and enjoy the moment.
if you are stupid then so am I...I did the same thing...Enjoy the moment !!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
And, you have the reason I don't entertain people with playing. To some, it's a chance to showcase what they know. To me, it's a showcase of what I don't know. The difference lies in the capacity for denial.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 PM

sometimes I'll get a "lightbulb" moment.. then it fades away and I'm left in the dark again. sometimes the only reason I know I'm getting a bit better is because my wife tells me she can tell. The other day I was tooling around just strumming a little improvised arrangement and humming... all of a sudden, she stopped short, came closer, and said "--who is that? what song is that?" when I told her, she was really surprised. Apparently, it sounded like an "Actual" song.

anyway.. I think that's one of the greatest aspects of guitar; it's quite literally and figuratively the gift that keeps on giving... this many years in and there's still Plenty* more to learn. I've been slacking just having fun lately, but now in the past month or two I'm pressuring myself to actually improve and add to my repertoire.. both song- and knowledge- wise.

There's always time for more pushing yourself; for now, glad to hear you're gonna take it easy and ENJOY!

cheers
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 PM

*More stupid

(Just kidding, it’s stupider)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM

if that is the case, then you may want to combine your exercises/lessons with fun. set up a system where you practice for a certain amount and have fun a certain amount per day. just the boring stuff can wear you out. ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I came late to the party and have no illusions about how good I am or how good I'll ever be. I just don't have the time and (even more so) the discipline to really study. I play a few hours a day and after almost six years I'm better than I'd ever hoped to be and people that don't know any better think I'm really good but real guitar players know better. I just don't over-think it. I play because I love to play!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

The more you think you’re stupid, the wiser you probably are. At least that’s how I like to characterize my own stupidity.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM

Thus spake Socrates: The only true wisdom is understanding that you know nothing.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I came late to the party and have no illusions about how good I am or how good I'll ever be. I just don't have the time and (even more so) the discipline to really study. I play a few hours a day and after almost six years I'm better than I'd ever hoped to be and people that don't know any better think I'm really good but real guitar players know better. I just don't over-think it. I play because I love to play!
Playing a few hours a day will get you good fast. I bet you're even better than you think you are.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 AM

I’ve said for a long time I’m just clever enough to realise how stupid I really am!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 AM

You will never walk alone. Count me in the stupider club. The more I know the more I know how much I do not know...
Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Stupid is as stupid does...and I does!

There is a lot of enjoyment in learning and one should never stop learning. But there is also a lot of wisdom in occasionally kicking back and enjoying what you've learned.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 AM

I think most people who are skeptics about their own skills, knowledge, and awareness will not likely be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect that is endemic and epidemic in many of today’s politicians.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
I think most people who are skeptics about their own skills, knowledge, and awareness will not likely be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect that is endemic and epidemic in many of today’s politicians.
Agreed!! To me its a sign of intelligence (and desire for growth) that we question our knowledge of the subject and even our own skill. At least that's what I'm going with . . . Hopefully I'm not suffering from Dunning-Kruger myself

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion