The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Smart man. Best to avoid the AGF as well or next thing you know your name will change to Danster and you will have no Martin and 15 Emeralds.
LOL, naw, that's not going to happen.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 02-24-2019, 08:25 AM

I hadn't heard of Schatten pickups before so went looking for more info and found this video of an X30 with a passive HFN.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I hadn't heard of Schatten pickups before so went looking for more info and found this video of an X30 with a passive HFN.
I enjoyed the playing and the comparison, but what I take from that is: both pickups sound good, as do both guitars.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Jim, both sound good, does anyone know what chair that is he is using?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Hey that's me lol
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I agree with Jim, both sound good, does anyone know what chair that is he is using?
It's just a cheap On-Stage chair, but it is quite comfortable.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I enjoyed the playing and the comparison, but what I take from that is: both pickups sound good, as do both guitars.
You're right, both of these guitars do sound awesome. That Gibson is the one I was going to sell to fund my incoming X20, but luckily changed my mind, it's irreplaceable. I was asked to do a video in one of the other Schatten pickup threads. While these 2 guitars are apples to oranges different hopefully the tonal properties of the pickups came through. Oh and FYI the Gibson now has a Schatten HFN in it!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
You're right, both of these guitars do sound awesome. That Gibson is the one I was going to sell to fund my incoming X20, but luckily changed my mind, it's irreplaceable. I was asked to do a video in one of the other Schatten pickup threads. While these 2 guitars are apples to oranges different hopefully the tonal properties of the pickups came through. Oh and FYI the Gibson now has a Schatten HFN in it!
Did you put a passive one in the Gibson as well or did you go for the active one?
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 02-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
Did you put a passive one in the Gibson as well or did you go for the active one?
The Schatten HFN that I put in is the passive version. However, when I removed the anthem from the guitar I wanted to try the Schatten with the original Fishman Ellipse Aura preamp that came with the guitar so that's what I did. So, technically speaking its currently active at the moment and it might stay that way as I like that preamp paired with the Schatten.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's just a cheap On-Stage chair, but it is quite comfortable.
Does that fold up at all? Sorry for the off-topic question, but I have been looking for something comfortable, reasonably lightweight, and some degree of folding to use in the motorhome. I bought a Gibralter throne with a backrest - looked good on-line, but was a heavy beast and uncomfortable: you couldn't move the backrest far enough back to sit all the way back on the motorcycle style seat. The seat was decent without the backrest, but not good lower back support.

It was twice the money of this On Stage. I sent it back. Open to other portable considerations if anyone has suggestions.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Does that fold up at all? Sorry for the off-topic question, but I have been looking for something comfortable, reasonably lightweight, and some degree of folding to use in the motorhome. I bought a Gibralter throne with a backrest - looked good on-line, but was a heavy beast and uncomfortable: you couldn't move the backrest far enough back to sit all the way back on the motorcycle style seat. The seat was decent without the backrest, but not good lower back support.

It was twice the money of this On Stage. I sent it back. Open to other portable considerations if anyone has suggestions.
Yep it folds up easily and you can take the back rest off very easy as well (no tools). I'll also label it as very light to carry around (for me anyways) and I think it would suit a motorhome just fine. I've had it for 2-3 years now and it's still the same as the day I bought it. Sometimes cheap is the way to go!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep it folds up easily and you can take the back rest off very easy as well (no tools). I'll also label it as very light to carry around (for me anyways) and I think it would suit a motorhome just fine. I've had it for 2-3 years now and it's still the same as the day I bought it. Sometimes cheap is the way to go!
Thanks for that review! I will check around to see if anyone has that where we are. I'm a little "guy shy" after that Gibralter.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that review! I will check around to see if anyone has that where we are. I'm a little "guy shy" after that Gibralter.
No problem at all and I have no clue what Gibralter means lol
Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Just to keep it off topic, funny, I did the same thing, bought a Gibralter throne, it was OK without the back rest, but not for very long. Sold it. I want a nice seat to play my CF guitars on.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Just to keep it off topic, funny, I did the same thing, bought a Gibralter throne, it was OK without the back rest, but not for very long. Sold it. I want a nice seat to play my CF guitars on.
I have an office chair at home that I removed an arm on - very comfortable and works great as a guitar chair. Comfortable seating in the motorhome, but not a great seating area to play. That Gibralter throne got good reviews - I was surprised at how heavy it was when the box showed up. My experience was the same as yours with the back rest on it. This On Stage one doesn't look as cushy on the seating surface, but we'll see - Joan put in an Amazon order this evening. Folding while we're traveling will be a big plus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber