The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2019, 02:20 PM

Default X20 after two months

Well I've had my X20 for two months now. All I can say is that I am loving it more each time I pick it up, which is every day. It sounds awesome and seems to fit me like a glove. Every couple of weeks I take the Martin out of this case, but after 10 minutes it goes back in the case and I go back to the Emerald.

I wasn't happy with the Anthem pickup upgrade that I did on it. It had very low output and wasn't really happy with the sound. I've now had the Anthem removed and a Schatten HFN Active pickup installed. Lots of output now and it sounds great. This week at an open mic I have a couple of people comment on how good it sounds. I've also changed the strings to Elixir PB nanowebs. I'm liking them better than the stock strings.

A big thank you to all in this forum. It was all your very informative posts that led me to make the decision on the X20 and I've definitely got a keeper here.

I've also discovered that if you give your Emerald a hug each day, your day will go a whole bunch better.

Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to hear more about your swap over to the Schatten pickup system - did you do it yourself? How hard was it if you did?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Kinda feels like that X20 is hugging you back, doesn't it?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'd like to hear more about your swap over to the Schatten pickup system - did you do it yourself? How hard was it if you did?
No I didn't do it myself. I took it to a local luthier and he did a set up as well. Although I don't think that installing the Schatten would have been too difficult.

Dan
Fender Ukelele

Old 02-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Kinda feels like that X20 is hugging you back, doesn't it?
It does indeed.
Fender Ukelele

Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
I've now had the Anthem removed and a Schatten HFN Active pickup installed. Lots of output now and it sounds great. This week at an open mic I have a couple of people comment on how good it sounds.

Dan
You're welcome! I told you that pickup is like a hidden gem. I'm kidding, i'm not looking for credit or anything just try to help people when I can and recommending that pickup is what I do when I see people asking the same question you did. Glad you're enjoying your Emerald. Owning a carbon fiber guitar in the Canadian climate makes me play a helluva lot more also. I'll be installing a Schatten HFN in my X20 when I get it in the near future.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I just put one in my Gibson yesterday with the putty install method. Honestly dude the whole process from start to finish is super easy, took me about 10 minutes and would've been shorter If I didn't try to stick my phone inside the guitar afterward to try to get a sensible picture.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
You're welcome! I told you that pickup is like a hidden gem. I'm kidding, i'm not looking for credit or anything just try to help people when I can and recommending that pickup is what I do when I see people asking the same question you did. Glad you're enjoying your Emerald. Owning a carbon fiber guitar in the Canadian climate makes me play a helluva lot more also. I'll be installing a Schatten HFN in my X20 when I get it in the near future.
Thank you. Sorry, I should have mentioned that you put me on to the Schatten pickup. I had never even heard of it until you mentioned it. And they are a heck of a lot cheaper than a full Anthem too. This forum helped me to decide on an Emerald and also getting my pickup problems fixed.

I'm already questioning wether or not to keep the Martin. If it goes, I will probably get an Emerald 12 string, but I'm not going to rush into anything.

Dan
Fender Ukelele

Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Sorry, I should have mentioned that you put me on to the Schatten pickup. I had never even heard of it until you mentioned it. And they are a heck of a lot cheaper than a full Anthem too. This forum helped me to decide on an Emerald and also getting my pickup problems fixed.

I'm already questioning wether or not to keep the Martin. If it goes, I will probably get an Emerald 12 string, but I'm not going to rush into anything.

Dan
Honestly dude no thanks are necessary I'm glad you like the pickup. I might be able to help you with your Martin decision also. Hanging around this forum can sometimes have a negative impact on decision making. I have one wooden guitar left, a Gibson custom that I absolutely love. I was planning to sell it this coming spring to be wood guitar free but just this week have changed my mind. It would've been a decision that I regretted as once it's gone it's gone for good. It will never get the attention it deserves, but I will certainly make an effort to play it more than I do now. It's nice to have at least one nice wood guitar kicking around to mix things up a bit. You said it best when you said that you weren't going to rush your decision.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Guest 928

Danz;

Have you decided yet? Don't let it bother you--it's just an idea. I mean, like, a 12 string Emerald is a hard image to cast from your mind. Got to be there at a few time a day. As far as I know, there is only one antidote--get it over with, give up, you're trapped. It'll feel so good..................
Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Danz;

Have you decided yet? Don't let it bother you--it's just an idea. I mean, like, a 12 string Emerald is a hard image to cast from your mind. Got to be there at a few time a day. As far as I know, there is only one antidote--get it over with, give up, you're trapped. It'll feel so good..................
Enabling at it's finest
Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Enabling at it's finest
It should henceforth be know as EvanaBling.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Guest 928

Kramster makes me do it.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM

I never really thought that anything could replace my Martin but I have to say that as far as playability, right now, I am preferring my X20. But my Martin does sound so very nice so I'm going to remove those thoughts of selling it from my mind till at least after the summer.
Fender Ukelele

Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I never really thought that anything could replace my Martin but I have to say that as far as playability, right now, I am preferring my X20. But my Martin does sound so very nice so I'm going to remove those thoughts of selling it from my mind till at least after the summer.
Smart man. Best to avoid the AGF as well or next thing you know your name will change to Danster and you will have no Martin and 15 Emeralds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber