The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 10:04 PM

Post Slotted Headstock string winding

I was just thinking about different technique, number of winds ,string binding, and if the number of winds affects overall tension
Just asking Gail.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Hi Gail,

I usually have more winds on my posts than most people have. I think it helps to avoid string breakage. I use an Ernie Ball PowerPeg winder to help me with getting strings onto a slot-head guitar.

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2021, 11:33 PM

When I had a Martin with a slotted headstock I tried to keep the string windings in as straight a line as possible with the nut slots.

So strings 1 and 6 wind outwards and 2,3,4 and 5 wind inwards.

Yes, the strings do come close to the headstock in some areas but they did not touch.

Note this works on a Martin but others may not have the same clearances.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-28-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
When I had a Martin with a slotted headstock I tried to keep the string windings in as straight a line as possible with the nut slots.

So strings 1 and 6 wind outwards and 2,3,4 and 5 wind inwards.

Yes, the strings do come close to the headstock in some areas but they did not touch.

Note this works on a Martin but others may not have the same clearances.
This is a great example of how to do things on a slotted headstock. I own a few and this is the method I use as well
Old 10-28-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I use the classic method of the outermost two strings making one wrap outside then the rest inside and then the exact opposite for the remaining inner four strings with enough winds to ensure good tension for stability and tuning. This is done to ensure no contact with the sides of the slots.

A few other tips I've learned over the years:

I do the top three first, in this order - strings 6, 5, 4 - and then the bottom three - 1, 2, 3.
For proper wind quantities, I measure out about 1.5-2 post lengths on the top three and 2.5-3 post lengths on the bottom 3.

I run the string through the hole, measure the extra distance to the next posts and then kink the string there but I do not cut the string until after I have completely wound the string. It's a bit of a pain as you need to watch that the extra string doesn't get caught up in the winds, but that's way better than realizing you've cut in the wrong place and need to now buy a new set of strings for one string. Ask me how I know!

Last edited by Methos1979; 10-28-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:23 AM

I do the same as Methos1979, below. I pull the string through the hole, which is set in line with the headstock, I cut the string 2" or so past the peg, I put a 1/4" kink in the string, I position the kink at the peg, and I wind with an old-school crank winder either in or out depending on which string. I don't bother wrapping or tying the strings onto the peg, unless it's a classical guitar with nylon strings. I look for around three full wraps around the peg.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Default My Method.

Hi, as I only use 12 fret flat tops - as they provide me with the wider fretboards I need, I have somewhat studied this.

Various brands give varying widths of slots and there is more than a little "design" in making a good slotted head stock.

However, with the exception of my Harmony 12 string which falls into the "anyway you can" category I attach two images below.

I always:
1. Work on a worktop.
2. Pre-cut my strings to predetermined lengths. (see dimensions in the image.
3. Make a bend in the barrel end to ensure that there is no possibility for it to get snagged on the pin end.
4. Make a 90 degree bend about 1/4-3/8" in he cut end to enable an easy slide into the hole of the tuning machine capstan.
5. I always start from the outside in - 6,1,5,2,4,3. This makes it easier to work.
6. I like to run the strings as straight as possible over the nut rather than allow a double angle tension on the slot.

Here's a video of the process made back in 2006, BUT I've refined my process.

https://youtu.be/9v8aBwxEnQk

NOTE:

1. I no longer put all strings in the pin holes at once.
2. I've refined my cutting lengths - see 2nd pic.
3. the "stretching" is done without banging the strings against the frets and i two or more places - and I now call it "settling" the tension points - tuner to nut, nut to saddle, saddle to bridgeplate.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.jpg (28.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.jpg (29.3 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:43 AM

Does any of this have effect on tone, playability, string life or is it all personal preference? How does scale length, string gauge, material and other variables apply if at all.
Just wondering Gail.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

2 of these look right to me and 1 looks not so right.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

This topic comes up every now and then. I’ll share my experience. There was a time when I owned 3 slot head guitars and used the method described by MC5C and Methos1979 above with great results. However after reading a number of posts about “right” and “wrong” ways to string up a headstock, I looked at what well respected builders posted (see below). I realized they didn’t have a standard way, even on their own websites. So I spoke with the builders. I was told (in language I can post on AGF) “ it doesn’t matter. Do it the way you like”

Old 10-28-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Gail View Post
Does any of this have effect on tone, playability, string life or is it all personal preference? How does scale length, string gauge, material and other variables apply if at all.
Just wondering Gail.
Hi,
tone? playability ? Sting life? probably not.

Scale length ? Nope I have dreads to "0" do 'em all the same.
Gauge? Mediums on dreads, and reso, lights on anythig 000 and smaller.

What needs to be considered as with slab heads -is to ensure that no strings touches another.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Gail View Post
I was just thinking about different technique, number of winds ,string binding, and if the number of winds affects overall tension
Just asking Gail.
I like to have only 3-4 wraps on a post, both paddle and slot heads. I try not to have the string wrap over itself.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2021, 10:56 AM

Forgot to answer one question - number of wraps has nothing to do with string tension. Scale length, string gauge and pitch are the only things that affect tension.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM

I don't do anything differently vs. paddle heads... I extend the strings about two string posts longer than needed and trim the ends, then insert and wind.

Easy peasy.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Most of those photos above show some strings putting a lot of tension on the tuner shaft. I'm not saying that this is "wrong" but it could lead to ovaling of the center drilling and is certainly putting additional pressure on the gearing.

I would be inclined to run the last wrap off the shaft as close to the gear side as possible and angle the nut slots accordingly. The tuners turn easier and the headstock centre drillings holding the shaft ends are under far less pressure (they are often not bushed).

As I say, I don't think other methods are "wrong" and I can see why folks would go for as straight string line as they can get. But getting the right nut slots cut. Is far cheaper than dealing with oval drillings. Plus the tuners turn easier, which is quite a bonus when you have say GAs or original old tuners fitted. Or any non bushed tuner.

I have set up and restrung somewhere around 800 slotted headstock guitars, and tried many different windings. And bringing the last wrap off the shaft as close to the gear side as practical I have come to think of as the best option. Particularly for the ease of turning the tuners and the longevity of the instrument's headstock drillings.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 10-28-2021 at 11:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion