The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2018, 05:18 PM

Online availability dates vary. Preorders open. I’ve seen as soon as July 5 (hmmm) but GC says August 16.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 PM

Good news is, Boss have confirmed that these will work with active pickups. I also really love the insanely low latency. The 2.3ms is even lower than the Line 6 G10.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Bad news is. They don’t work with all active pickups.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
I’m considering the Xvive system for my acoustic set up.
Is it appropriate for a P & W situation?
Does it work well?
What is P & W situation mean? I'm blanking on that one...

My Xvive works very well (K&K passive) system but only when using power for my amps and pedals. I've noticed that when I use the battery power on my amp (Bose S1 Pro) and Boss VE-8 I get a lot of drop outs if I move around. I'm not sure why that is. And since running my gear on battery power is my new favorite thing to do (even when I have power available) I'm planning on giving the Boss wireless system a try when they come out. After all of you Beta-test them for me, that is!
Old 07-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Bad news is. They don’t work with all active pickups.
Oh really? Did you get a chance to try them at NAMM? All the videos I have seen from NAMM have mentioned that they work with all active pickups so either that's bad marketing or they really didn't test them all.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:02 PM

These direct plug transmitter/receiver combos were around for a short while when I first got interested n wireless but for some reason they didn't succeed in the market. I used a Line 6 wireless system for a bit, and while it worked wonderfully, I just got tired of the bulky transmitter (which also had a glitchy battery door). If this Boss offering works well, I'd definitely give wireless another go.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 07-01-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I don’t have solid confirmation and they mentioned that things can be changed with firmware. I plan on getting one to review on my channel right away but I suspect these bug transmitters will always suffer from interference unless they can be shielded correctly.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
What is P & W situation mean? I'm blanking on that one...

My Xvive works very well (K&K passive) system but only when using power for my amps and pedals. I've noticed that when I use the battery power on my amp (Bose S1 Pro) and Boss VE-8 I get a lot of drop outs if I move around. I'm not sure why that is. And since running my gear on battery power is my new favorite thing to do (even when I have power available) I'm planning on giving the Boss wireless system a try when they come out. After all of you Beta-test them for me, that is!
My Xvive with K&K passive works perfectly with no dropouts with my battery powered Elite Acoustics amp.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:47 PM

One question I have is whether or not this wireless would work with TRS jacks. It looks like they have TRS plugs, but I’m worried that the Ring and Sleeve connections might be used for power switching and not compatible with balanced TRS audio connections. Does anyone know for sure? I’m sure the Xvive wireless would be fine since it is a regular two conductor unbalanced connection.

What I am interested in is a wireless connection between my Elite Acoustics D6-8 amp and a Bose S1 used as a satellite speaker.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

The TRS thing should not be an issue on these according to Boss.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
My Xvive with K&K passive works perfectly with no dropouts with my battery powered Elite Acoustics amp.
In fairness I should add that the dropouts only occur when I walk around. If I'm standing relatively still (normal guitar playing movement is fine) next to the unit which I do during a gig mostly then it's fine. But when the amp and pedals are 'plugged in' I can walk around with no dropouts. Odd.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 AM

I just played a gig with my S1 and had no dropouts with the xVive and could walk around without any problems.
looking forward to the Boss units.
davidc
Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
When they say they have an acoustic guitar version I think they just mean that it has no cable tone applied. I’ll be very surprised and impressed if it works with active pickups with no interference (my Xvive generates a slight whining when used with my VT Enhance).
I agree with Aaron. I think any compact transmitter that is placed in close proximity to the endpin preamp of an acoustic guitar is likely to cause interference. You'd have to have a fully RF shielded preamp. The digital preamps like Fishman Aura Enhance systems, with the preamp connected to the endpin jack, would likely experience interference. You can't shield the wireless transmitter because it wouldn't transmit. :-) Active system that house the preamp boards in the shoulder of the guitar (Taylor ES2, Fishman F1 Aura Plus, Takamine, etc.) would have a higher likelihood of working.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 AM

It depends on the guitar. My Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE hums like crazy if I use an endpin jack transmitter.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 AM

Any guesses how this will work w the Fishman Prefix Plus T that Rainsong uses?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification