The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I think they ruin the look of the instrument.
Okay. Then suffer.

whm
Old 09-17-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay. Then suffer.
There's other options I want to try first. Why would I buy a guitar with a beautiful top and then put a big ugly piece of black plastic across the top?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:53 AM

Don't know what there is about Australian guitars, but I can't bound with them. Maton are very well made, nice guitars (although I do have a personal hatred for two tone headstocks), but stiff and hard to 'move'. Can't feel sustain or 'life' post note playing. Their factory is less than 1km from my house. I'd love to love them, but I can't.

Coles Clarke are ugly (personal opinion, here), feel unfinished and rushed out. The sound is meh, bright, and like the Maton seems to lack sustain and 'life'.

I don't think Australian woods are good acoustically, to be honest.

I like intimate sounds, play more softly than not and don't use pickups, so here's colour to these views.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's other options I want to try first. Why would I buy a guitar with a beautiful top and then put a big ugly piece of black plastic across the top?
The JP armrests are wood and actually quite attractive as they come in a variety of sizes and wood grains. While they do a great job of providing a more rounded edge and also increase the sustain by keeping the top of your forearm from dampening the soundboard vibrations, they add significantly to the depth potentially creating discomfort to your shoulder.

I had one on a Martin 00-28VS I had and after selling that guitar off I just lived with it as a feature of guitars. I found the sharp edges of that area to be something that I just ignore if I don't dwell on it. I went over to guitars with arm bevels on them for awhile and loved the comfort factor but then when I got away from that feature and went back I just lived with it.

It's funny that I used to be SO sensitive to SO many things on a guitar - nut width, string spacing, scale length, neck shape, pickguards... Turns out that once I got past the nitpicking I found that I can - and do - live with just about anything if I otherwise love the tone and playability of the guitar. Either take some sandpaper and break the edge or sell it off and move on.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The JP armrests are wood and actually quite attractive as they come in a variety of sizes and wood grains. While they do a great job of providing a more rounded edge and also increase the sustain by keeping the top of your forearm from dampening the soundboard vibrations, they add significantly to the depth potentially creating discomfort to your shoulder.

I had one on a Martin 00-28VS I had and after selling that guitar off I just lived with it as a feature of guitars. I found the sharp edges of that area to be something that I just ignore if I don't dwell on it. I went over to guitars with arm bevels on them for awhile and loved the comfort factor but then when I got away from that feature and went back I just lived with it.

It's funny that I used to be SO sensitive to SO many things on a guitar - nut width, string spacing, scale length, neck shape, pickguards... Turns out that once I got past the nitpicking I found that I can - and do - live with just about anything if I otherwise love the tone and playability of the guitar. Either take some sandpaper and break the edge or sell it off and move on.
I'm definitely not going to start sanding the edge of the guitar, although that's not a bad idea. I just don't want to hurt any resale value. I am trying to work with it. I've been trying a sleeve today and that's working pretty well. Next gig will be a test. I will wear a sleeve for the gig and see how my arm feels after it. But you are right about focusing too much on something. But when you get a new guitar, you tend to do that right away. Usually these things fade away after a while. Lets hope so. I do love the live sound of it and the playability. I really want one of the thinlines, but they are awfully hard to find in the states and I got a great deal on this Angel 2, so if I don't decide to keep it, I will easily be able to recoup what I spent.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm definitely not going to start sanding the edge of the guitar, although that's not a bad idea. I just don't want to hurt any resale value. I am trying to work with it. I've been trying a sleeve today and that's working pretty well. Next gig will be a test. I will wear a sleeve for the gig and see how my arm feels after it. But you are right about focusing too much on something. But when you get a new guitar, you tend to do that right away. Usually these things fade away after a while. Lets hope so. I do love the live sound of it and the playability. I really want one of the thinlines, but they are awfully hard to find in the states and I got a great deal on this Angel 2, so if I don't decide to keep it, I will easily be able to recoup what I spent.
I read somewhere about someone sanding edges although I don't remember if it was necessarily a Cole Clark. Affecting resale is certainly a consideration. Once I started playing with a sleeve (which I did for purposes other than sharp edges) I no longer notice the edge. Even back when I did three-hour gigs, which I no longer do. I have yet to find any guitar that is perfect. There's always something that could be better, or at least different.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I read somewhere about someone sanding edges although I don't remember if it was necessarily a Cole Clark. Affecting resale is certainly a consideration. Once I started playing with a sleeve (which I did for purposes other than sharp edges) I no longer notice the edge. Even back when I did three-hour gigs, which I no longer do. I have yet to find any guitar that is perfect. There's always something that could be better, or at least different.
I agree and also, I was playing sitting down last gig which I think causes your forearm to dig in more. When standing, my arm tends to hang more freely over the front edge of the guitar. Next gig I will try standing and use a sleeve.
I found that using a large thick wristband under a compression sleeve works very well. The wristband gives you some extra padding where you need it.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I agree and also, I was playing sitting down last gig which I think causes your forearm to dig in more. When standing, my arm tends to hang more freely over the front edge of the guitar. Next gig I will try standing and use a sleeve.
I found that using a large thick wristband under a compression sleeve works very well. The wristband gives you some extra padding where you need it.
When I play my Matons, I often wear a long sleeve shirt and roll up the sleeves to where my arm rests on the edge, which creates some padding. A few lines on the arm is a small price to pay to have the best available plugged in sound available though.
If you want a Thinline, and I highly recommend them, you might be in for a wait. The local store (in Australia) I bought mine from has some more on order, and the ETA is June...........2023 . With the factory being closed for so long with lockdowns, I believe they are working extra shifts, but are playing serious catchup on orders.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Just Wanting to know what you guys think of Cole Clark guitars. Yay or Nay?
Old thread, but I'll reply to the OP. My opinion and experience is that they are stellar gig guitars, and second to none when it comes to plugged in sound.
I have played every size and style they make, and (apart from the dreadnought size models) while they are not always the best sounding guitars acoustically, they shine when plugged in, and is probably the reason most players buy them.

I recently bought their new Thinline model due to ongoing shoulder issues, and it has quickly become my main gig machine. It is very easy to dial in a great sound, and I have received a lot of positive feedback from musicians regarding the plugged in sound. Does it sound great unplugged?.........the answer is no. Not terrible, but OK considering the body depth. Again, it wasn't purchased for the unplugged sound, as I have other guitars for that.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
Old thread, but I'll reply to the OP. My opinion and experience is that they are stellar gig guitars, and second to none when it comes to plugged in sound.
I have played every size and style they make, and (apart from the dreadnought size models) while they are not always the best sounding guitars acoustically, they shine when plugged in, and is probably the reason most players buy them.

I recently bought their new Thinline model due to ongoing shoulder issues, and it has quickly become my main gig machine. It is very easy to dial in a great sound, and I have received a lot of positive feedback from musicians regarding the plugged in sound. Does it sound great unplugged?.........the answer is no. Not terrible, but OK considering the body depth. Again, it wasn't purchased for the unplugged sound, as I have other guitars for that.
Does the thinline sound as good as the regular Angel 2 plugged in ?
Old 09-18-2021, 01:47 PM

Maybe it’s just me but I find the descriptions of the acoustic tone intriguing. It seems like in this day and age of the loud modern boomers a nice angelic subtle tone for me is personally welcome. Almost reminds me of how a nylon string would respond. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the descriptions?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Does the thinline sound as good as the regular Angel 2 plugged in ?
Sure does! I don't know if it's the carved top, or smaller volume of air in the body, but it's also very feedback resistant. I still don't have a feedback buster, but haven't needed one yet, and I played a pretty loud gig last weekend with no issues.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Just Wanting to know what you guys think of Cole Clark guitars. Yay or Nay?
Yay, I once had a FL 1 dread, a really good guitar with a fantastic sound (bunya and blackwood), cool looks that breaks with tradition, high quality workmanship and materials. I would love to own one today, but I am full at the moment. I would add a bit expensive when living in Europe.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
Sure does! I don't know if it's the carved top, or smaller volume of air in the body, but it's also very feedback resistant. I still don't have a feedback buster, but haven't needed one yet, and I played a pretty loud gig last weekend with no issues.
Good to know! Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion