The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Default What are 2 pieces of gear that you LOVE and 1 piece you're "meh" about?

I love my Collings D2H sunburst 1 11/16". I needed to adjust a bit to the subtle V shape, but I don't notice it anymore unless I swap guitars. I have a K&K Pure Mini installed that a love, but haven't put in a strap button yet. I will when I get it set up.

I love my EV 30m mini PA/column setup. This was a huge upgrade from the complexity of my old Yamaha mixer + QSC K8's. It sounds fabulous quickly and the number of cables and headaches that come with it are few. Yes, someday the app will make me nuts and I'll come here to whine, but for now, I've played the heck out of it and love the heck out of it. Oh, I did buy that overpriced cover for it.

I'm "meh" my Behringer UMC404 interface. It's clunky and I blame a lot of my audio issues on my PC on it. I've had trouble dialing in the right gain on some of my mics and it just annoys me. I can't wait to upgrade it to a MOTU or similar, but I have too many other things calling for my change these days.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:02 PM

Default What are 2 pieces of gear that you LOVE and 1 piece you're "meh" about?

Love:
Gretsch G5622T-CB - my gigmeister for the last six years:

Gretsch G6136DC - the '62 tribute (not the true reissue that Street Sounds offered as an exclusive):

Meh:
Martin CEO-5 - IMO the best value-per-dollar of the entire series, wonderful package (bearclaw aging-toner top, pearl herringbone trim, ebony board) but mine never fulfilled its tonal potential ;

Old 06-24-2022, 07:18 PM

I felt the same way about my CEO 5, Steve. Sure had a nice fragrance however.
Roger
Old 06-25-2022, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Love:

My Wegen M100 picks.

My small block of violin rosin.

Meh:

Every Blue Chip pick that I have owned.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am really happy with the Elliott capos and the Tapastring strap keepers. I have used both for years and they just work perfectly for me.
The last time that I felt “meh” about a guitar accessory was the G7th P3 capo. I know some folks love ‘em but I could never get them to seat properly on my necks.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-25-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Love:
*wooden things I built (guitar case rack, neck support for string changes)
*electric drill type string winder.
Meh:
*blue chip pick---really like the sound/feel, but fret about losing it from time to time.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:29 AM
Runaway Tomato

Love:
  1. My old Kazuo Yairi Conquistador — a guitar I’ve owned & played for about 45 years
  2. My Taylor Gig bag. Using a gig bag to transport all my small stuff (cables, direct box, capos, extra strings, tools, etc etc) on my back with my 110 is priceless. As practical as heck.
Meh:
  1. My huge collection of Dunlop nylon flatpicks. They’re great, but I haven’t used flatpicks for years.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-25-2022, 08:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Favorites:

1. Zoom recorders
2. Clip on USB rechargeable light for music stand

Non favorite:
1. Peterson HD Strobo tuner

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM

Love List:

My old Seagull Folk. Chunky neck that I love. Pleasing, balanced, woody sound when I play my usual cross-picking thing on it. Comfy in the hands, light in the case (I got it a TRIC case last year).

ElectroVoice RE20 microphone. I used a Shure SM7b for years as a rock vocal mic in my studio space, and still do. But the EV mic works a treat in my untreated and acoustically problematic little home office. You can work close without a lot of boomy proximity effect, greatly reducing issues with room sound, and my singing voice has a harsh upper register that doesn't like the "air" or pristine highs that others seek in a vocal mic.

Meh (for now). My big Electromatic Gretsch. Note this is a limited opinion subject to change. Seems well-made and I like the orange. Reasonable weight for what it is. The neck's a bit chunky (a plus for me) and good frets. The classic Gretsch control set isn't my favorite, but I get around on it. I've had 5 DeArmond guitars from the doomed turn-of-century line that are sorta-kinda Guild/Gretch-ey designs, and I loved each of them. I dig records that used Gretch guitars. I'm cool with Bigbsys and play other guitars with them often.

But.

I just can't get the sound I want or expect. I tried two sets of round-wound strings first: a .10 set and then a set of .011. I have a set of .011 Chrome flat wounds on it now. I usually play .09s and am a string bender with finger joints that remind me I'm old when I do that. Raising the pickups earlier this year made the biggest difference, more bark and attack. But it's still meh. Not "this stinks" or "how fast can I unload this." I still think I might find its sweet spot.

I think it may be that I have my amps setup to sound good with my other electric guitars: Teles, a Strat, Jazzmaster, and a Jaguar, several guitars with P90 type pickups, etc. I suspect that in my live room the Gretsch might like a big amp with more speaker surface. My 4x10 Blues DeVille is out of commission right now, and I'm thinking that might be a good match. I may try it with some modeling profiles on recorded tracks when I have the time test that theory.

Personal note to Steve DeRosa: I'm glad I have it, and I am still hopeful, and I've had fun with the exploration.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

SunnAudio Stage DI and Dazzo pickups are go to must haves. K&Ks I've taken out of my guitar very quickly.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-25-2022, 02:53 PM

I love these answers. I have an Elliot Capo (which is functionally awesome), but I can't keep it on my guitar above the nut if it's in my Hercules Stand (which I love also, btw).

I will admit, I am a Blue Chip fan, but I can get by with the purple Dunlops and Primetones just fine (because my Blue Chip doesn't leave my desk area).
Old 06-25-2022, 03:20 PM

Problematic topic for me.

I've got a long list of gear I love and several items that I'm "meh..." on. How do I choose?
Old 06-25-2022, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Love:

My Wegen M100 picks.

My small block of violin rosin.

Meh:

Every Blue Chip pick that I have owned.
Love: My Blue Chip CT-55 picks

Meh: Every other pick I have every tried!

Seriously though, I love all my gear. If I'm 'meh' about anything, it gets sold. That said, in order to play the game as best I can

2 things I love: Evolve 30M, RainSong Nashville OM Shorty. The 30M is brand new and we are still in the honeymoon with the fantastic sound. Be we also still love both our Bose S1's and our EAE D6-58. My RainSong Black Ice dread is also a close second to the Nashville.

Meh: Every capo I've owned (and many I still own) after starting to use the G7th Heritage.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:42 PM

Like Dunlop Primetone picks
Like John Pearse PB and 80/20 strings
Meh... triangle shaped picks
Old 06-25-2022, 04:07 PM

Love: Boss TU-2 tuner. I've been using one of these on stage for over 20 years. Insanely durable and reliable, long battery life and it works great. I had my first one for probably 15 years before it died. I got talked into buying a much fancier and more expensive tuner to replace it. First gig out with it was at a pretty large venue with a full light show. They used a lot of red and low and behold, I couldn't see the lights on the new tuner. Literally bought another TU-2 the next day and it's been going strong for 9 years now.

Love: D&A Starfish stands. I think I own 7-8 of these. Best stands I've ever seen. I don't know if they'll last a lifetime or not but they really hold a guitar and are just about the only stand that I trust at this point.

Meh: Every capo I've ever owned. I've found some that I like at home but they just aren't quick enough for stage use. The ones I use on stage aren't as good as the ones I use at home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion