The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2023, 05:59 PM

Default Wireless guitar again

On the same subject as the last one ; I too have thinking going wireless on just the acoustic guitar, thru my fish man soloamp. Is there a “ industry standard “ for what I want to do?thanks
Old 01-08-2023, 06:09 PM

The top 2, I assume, will be the Line 6 route, or the X-vive U2. My only gripe with the X-vive is the short battery life. Some Amazon knockoffs of the X-Vive are better for the price.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:24 PM

Thanks,I guess I’ll stay wired.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

They work pretty well - it all depends on how long you need to play -
Old 01-09-2023, 12:38 AM

I've tried X-vive U2. Not too bad, not too good. I got a steady noise until adjust the transmitter to a particular position (may be mine only, I don't know). Also, if you get close to wifi router or other signal generator, you will have interference. Otherwise, it works fine.

However, a good cable give better tone (I heard more bottom and more 3D sound), and is much more stable, I don't need to worry about battery life as well. Kind of give and take, depends on what you like to have.
ArchAngels Wings (Dreadnought)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-09-2023, 08:32 AM

there's a lot of options out there.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+..._ts-doa-p_2_11

The more affordable ones can have some undesirable side effects.

Like low output, for example

But going untethered, is really cool.

Not having a cable wrapped around your legs, or getting all twisted if you move around is something worth looking into IMHO

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-09-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
On the same subject as the last one ; I too have thinking going wireless on just the acoustic guitar, thru my fish man soloamp. Is there a “ industry standard “ for what I want to do?thanks
What pickup are you using? That will help. Affordable wireless units started popping up a lot over the past five years, but in my experience, they all add noise. The one standout is the Line 6 G10. That system has been flawless for me live. Literally never had a dropout. It does struggle with noise when the pickup is active but they have an adaptor to fix this. Oddly enough, it's silent with my active Godin Mandolin.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Line 6 Relay's are very good. I have 2 G30s.

The transmitter is a belt clip style. Pretty good battery life and rechargeables do work.

The older ones, when they first were released don't mate with the newer receivers. so when my belt clip broke, (lousy design on that) I sucked it up an bought a second one.

I leave one at the house and use the newer one for when I'm out and about.

I'd buy the G10 for sure if I needed to replace the G30s.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 01-09-2023, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I've used a Shure wireless guitar rig for years, the transmitter clips right to my strap. When I get home I'll look for the model number.

EDIT: just checked, it's the Shure PGX1. I find it quite robust physically, and the range is good. I've been as far as 60'+ away from the receiver during sound checks.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

Last edited by rule18; 01-09-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:52 PM

I've been using a Boss WL-20L for a year and a half, and I really like it. Battery life is good - I use it for a 30 minute band warmup, then it's on for 3 hours, and no problems. I always recharge after use.

Sound is just great. I go into a Yamaha mixer, out from a Peavey powered speaker, then another out from a Fishman 330X.

I love not having to worry about a cable. My shoes seemed to be magnetic with them. If they were on the floor, I'd step on them.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
there's a lot of options out there....
Way down on that list, like a few pages later, are mine. The memorably named ZXK CO Wireless Guitar System 5.8GHz Rechargeable Guitar Wireless Audio Transmitter Receiver.

They're trouble-free for me. A bass guitar friend of mine bought them and on one old bass guitar he gets some high-pitched whine, but on his new guitars, no problem.

You don't have to recharge a cable but man I love playing without that one, and I don't even wade into audiences. Just makes my stage experience worry-free. As for cables sounding better, maybe, but I don't hear any difference after EQ.

The brand above is exactly the same unit being sold by Carvin, except they charge $159 right now whereas famed ZXK CO is asking $66, about what I paid.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Thanks,I guess I’ll stay wired.
Really? One guy comments and you give up? Sounds like your heart's not in it anyway. Maybe wired is the way to go.

That said, I stepped through all the 'name brands' of the simple rechargeable units a few years back.

Xvive U2 - okay, only worded with passive pickups but worked. Not too bad with drop outs. Priced around the upper middle.
Boss W20L - crap, drop-out city, pricey. Unusable in the live real world, at least for us.
Sennheiser - much better but not great. Expensive.

Then right around that time there was an explosion of no-name 5.8 ghz systems that were very inexpensive so I figured what the heck. I've been using that for three years almost non-stop with no issues. No dropouts. Long battery life. Plug and play.

Is the tonal quality as good a quality guitar cable? No. Is it more than good enough for your average guitar gig? Absolutely. And being untethered truly is the way to go. I can't go back. But I always do have a guitar cable in the bag, just in case!
Old 01-10-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Really? One guy comments and you give up? Sounds like your heart's not in it anyway. Maybe wired is the way to go.

That said, I stepped through all the 'name brands' of the simple rechargeable units a few years back.

Xvive U2 - okay, only worded with passive pickups but worked. Not too bad with drop outs. Priced around the upper middle.
Boss W20L - crap, drop-out city, pricey. Unusable in the live real world, at least for us.
Sennheiser - much better but not great. Expensive.

Then right around that time there was an explosion of no-name 5.8 ghz systems that were very inexpensive so I figured what the heck. I've been using that for three years almost non-stop with no issues. No dropouts. Long battery life. Plug and play.

Is the tonal quality as good a quality guitar cable? No. Is it more than good enough for your average guitar gig? Absolutely. And being untethered truly is the way to go. I can't go back. But I always do have a guitar cable in the bag, just in case!
Me and cables don't get along all that well The always get twisted and bunched up and I have to stop and untangle them. No cable means nothing to untangle

I have a few setups

the Line 6 is go to. it is probably the one that sounds the most like a cabled connection. very reliable. The only gotchya us there's no warning when the transmitter battery life is about to end. The transmitter DOES flash the yellow warning light, but it's usually on your belt or on the strap and you never see it. A little BEEP would be the thing.. with a fully charged set of AAs in the transmitter tho, these G30s are hard to beat.

The G10 seems cool but that transmitter looks a bit bulky to have hanging off your output jack. I'd rather the belt pack.

I also have a few of the "more affordable" ones, (don't like using the word cheap! LOL!)

On of the was like 49 bucks, (Guitaria) and I can't believe how good it works for what I paid. I still use it.

I have another one that is not transparent, serious volume/output drop,
so that one was a bust. I don't really use it. I think it was 50 bucks as well.

I don't really hear a lot of differences from a good cable to this one.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 01-10-2023, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I stopped using wireless when I started getting serious about recording.

I realize acoustic pickups, don't sound like the guitar.

So, the tonal difference a wireless will offer, may or not, be to your liking.

When playing in a band situation, I'm less critical of my acoustic tone. A quacky UST can work well here.

As there is less frequency range for your guitar to sit in.

That said, I really liked the freedom of a wireless. The best ones are gonna cost though. Maybe as much as your guitar.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Pay for JoeDon and the Spoon Slap band. Don't expect it to sound like the Eagles.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Way down on that list, like a few pages later, are mine. The memorably named ZXK CO Wireless Guitar System 5.8GHz Rechargeable Guitar Wireless Audio Transmitter Receiver.

They're trouble-free for me. A bass guitar friend of mine bought them and on one old bass guitar he gets some high-pitched whine, but on his new guitars, no problem.

You don't have to recharge a cable but man I love playing without that one, and I don't even wade into audiences. Just makes my stage experience worry-free. As for cables sounding better, maybe, but I don't hear any difference after EQ.

The brand above is exactly the same unit being sold by Carvin, except they charge $159 right now whereas famed ZXK CO is asking $66, about what I paid.
I use the same exact one for all my solo acoustic gigs and it hasn't let me down yet. Even if it dies tomorrow, it was worth the measly $66.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification