The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Default A dedicated CF player gets an "air guitar"...

Since there are at least two of us CF players here who have ordered/bought a Silent Guitar (Yamaha SLG200n), I am hoping the mods will allow this thread to stay here. There has been some discussion about these guitars on the X7 thread of John's and I am splitting this off here so we could continue the discussion without the on-going hijack of the other thread.

I have learned to never say never, but I didn't expect to add another wood guitar. Frankly, there is quite a bit of "air" with the SLG, so it is less of a wood guitar than some others. I can't speak for Scott (Methos), but I ordered the SLG to get an idea of what nylon playing is truly like... something I can spend some time with and not have the investment of a CF nylon. Yet. IF (big "if") I find myself really taken with the nylon experience, I would entertain the idea of a CF model.

Evan has shared some thought about this this guitar, and I know others here have or have had one. I see this as a learning experience, so feel free to add any impressions here. Some of you know I am into the comfort of any guitar, and holding/playing the steel string model of the SLG was satisfying.

Mine should be here on Monday.

The electronics get decent reviews. I was impressed with the "acoustic" sound of the steel string version, through Bose headphones and an L1C. On the bright side, there will be no making comparisons of the "acoustic vs plugged in" tone.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Wish the headphones were wireless

I am interested in these Yamaha Silent guitars (not sure which model I would go for), but I find headphone cables to be really annoying, even if they connect straight to the guitar.

So I wish Yamaha would make the headphones with these wireless. I guess there is a way to use wireless headphones with these, but I'm also guessing it would be costly.

Any way, I'll be interested to see your upcoming NGD thread.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I am interested in these Yamaha Silent guitars (not sure which model I would go for), but I find headphone cables to be really annoying, even if they connect straight to the guitar.

So I wish Yamaha would make the headphones with these wireless. I guess there is a way to use wireless headphones with these, but I'm also guessing it would be costly.

Any way, I'll be interested to see your upcoming NGD thread.
I have one of these guitars (steel string) and really enjoy it. It lets me hang with the family and jam while they watch TV (which I find extremely unproductive). I use normal headphones and run the wire down my back and wrap once around the guitar strap. Doesn't get caught that way or in the way of the playing.

I looked for ways to make it wireless, but never pulled the trigger on the wireless options. Still use the wire when I play it.

-B
Old 03-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I did have one - it was quite a nice guitar but I ended up selling it for the Cordoba instead, as I preferred the Cordoba 55FCE's neck and tone. But one thing that was really nice about the Yamaha was the way it packed down to almost nothingness - it would be extremely easy to travel with. I'm sure you will enjoy it - and welcome to the nylon family.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Appreciated. I'm looking forward to giving the Silent Guitar a try. Hearing from others with experience with it is helpful.

You know that saying about "old dogs and new tricks"? I recall seeing one of these in the past, but couldn't imagine it would be something I'd consider owning. I guess getting into CF guitars has opened my "considerations."

Keep 'em coming.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 PM

That is definitely intriguing Jim. I do know Yamaha has some nifty electronics. I bought my 6 yr old boy an APXT2 for xmas. Unplugged it sounds as expected for what it is. Plugged in through the Yamaha electronics it sounds like a full size dreadnought. I was amazed. I hope the same idea applies to the silent guitar.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
That is definitely intriguing Jim. I do know Yamaha has some nifty electronics. I bought my 6 yr old boy an APXT2 for xmas. Unplugged it sounds as expected for what it is. Plugged in through the Yamaha electronics it sounds like a full size dreadnought. I was amazed. I hope the same idea applies to the silent guitar.
Yamaha is doing some nice stuff with their electronics. Checking out the under saddle pickup, the SRT, and a blend of the two was quite nice on the steel string SLG I played yesterday. I can't find anything online that says the nylon version is anything different, but the videos I've watched online sound good.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yamaha is doing some nice stuff with their electronics. Checking out the under saddle pickup, the SRT, and a blend of the two was quite nice on the steel string SLG I played yesterday. I can't find anything online that says the nylon version is anything different, but the videos I've watched online sound good.
I checked out a couple YouTube videos on the nylon version. It certainly sounds pretty darn good for what it is.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 AM

I had 2 of the first generation steel strings at the same time...hard to believe I know... on one I had a Roland synth set up (a friend of mine did one like that as well) and had a nylon awhile.. I’ll prolly get one again just because... and the elcectrons are cool and sound great.

Years ago I was playing a silent steel string into a Kong Toneworks and then into the original Bose L1 at Cooper’s Town down town Phoenix in the basement part... a guy from the band playing outside wandered down and heard me and wanted to know how I got the acoustic sound he has been trying to get.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 03-14-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

As the other person the Captain alluded to as being a 'soon to be' owner of one of these guitars I'm happy to report that the elderly, drunken three-legged, one-eyed, philandering idiot of a USPS pack mule has been located and the guitar is due to be delivered today. So I should have something to write about it soon. For me the decision to order one of these came about for two reasons: Nylon & Body. I was primarily looking for a guitar that I could use for open mics that had onboard preamp, tone shaping/EQ and was also as feedback resistant as possible.

I was tired of lugging around additional equipment (preamps, speakers) to help make my acoustic guitar tone sound better at open mics where the available equipment is suspect but the people running it just have no clue how to make a fingerstyle guitar player/guitar sound good. Open mics almost always tend to have their sound dialed in for the UST/pick strumming crowd and if you're not that, your screwed and live with dark, muddy, awful tone unless you carry your own EQ gear. The Yamaha Silent Guitar ticked all of these boxes. Onboard preamp, EQ and tone shaping and you just don't get any more feedback resistant than that body!

After that it was down to deciding between nylon and steel string. Neither is my zen nut width and string spacing. In fact, both are polar opposites. I prefer 1 3/4" and 2 1/4" respectively. While a fingerstyle player (no picks) I can say that as of late we play many strumming songs since we've started playing out so the narrower steel string model might be the better choice. That said, like Jim (The Captain!), I've been wanting to give a nylon guitar a try. That third hour of the gig tends to have my fingertips screaming no quarter! So I thought this might be a good way to audition a nylon guitar and then if I find I like the feel, tone AND can get along with the wider nut width and string spacing then I might be on the lookout for a nylon Emerald custom to add to my collection.

In the end I decided to leave it to fate and whichever one I found first. I will say that I did want the burst model as I thought it looked best. I posted a Want To Buy ad here and also started looking at Reverb and other places for a good deal. I found a nylon one on Reverb and made an offer and then someone here hit me up for a good deal on a steel string one. The guy on Reverb accepted my offer so that one is getting here first. I might actually grab the other one anyway so I can A/B them but since the nylon one is due here today I'll give that a quick try first. If I love it then I'm golden. If not I'll grab the steel string model and A/B them and keep the better. Or maybe both. The nice thing is that these guitars are not 'big money' guitars. At least not by custom Emerald standards! Stay tuned for more.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM

While being wood again the one silent type guitar that is also used as a main instrument for stage is the Soloette.
I have used one and it is extreme high quality and a main gigging instrument for some musicians as the tone and playability are on parr with the high end arch tops and tone is amazing.
Another option, These unfortunately are no longer made new but one is up on Reverb and they pop up now and then on the used market.

Last edited by JerryM; 03-14-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Guest 928

I liked the Soloette and thought the headless look was sort of interesting. But in the long run I didn't much like tuning from the bottom of the guitar.

I think that those of you trying the Yamaha will be very pleased with its sound and playability. As noted in the other thread (which we high jacked), my only problem with the Yamaha is that I missed the embrace and feel of a body.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Just thinking out loud...

Playing guitar the last 5 decades has been a journey. I went from electric to adding an acoustic for "those songs." One electric and one acoustic, for 30 years or so. Then, I got schooled on different body sizes and woods. Then, a Taylor T5 (that I truly enjoy, but don't play often enough) that has great electric sound options and a reasonably decent acoustic sound. Not to sound cavalier, but "reasonably decent" will make you less crazy when playing out.

As our lifestyle changed (more traveling), I found I was playing out less, but enjoying "all things guitar" more. And then... carbon fiber guitars. It was about 20 years ago when an engineer friend of mine was doing some work for Composite Acoustics and told me, "You have to try one of these."

I scoffed. Bad on me. I did, however, come to appreciate nice (wood) acoustic tone. And lived with "reasonably decent" plugged in sound.

Then: carbon fiber and the (my) discovery of ergonomics. Playing guitar wasn't just carefree again (as it was before I knew anything about the effects of changing humidity and environment on wood guitars ), it became comfortable! I love my Emeralds that feel like "a guitar hug" while sounding great!

This whole "guitar without a body" seems to go against everything I've enjoyed on this guitar journey. So, a departure... mostly brought on by some curiosity about nylon string playing. My expectations? Well, I did try the steel string version, and it was very comfortable. Surprisingly good sound when plugged in (headphones or into an amp/PA).

I hope the nylon string version is equally pleasant. I had the opportunity to play a bunch of nylon string guitars and didn't find a one that I would call "comfortable"... I have been spoiled by these Emeralds. Hey, the guitar is mostly air - how uncomfortable can that be??
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

So I picked up the Yamaha from the Post Office today and I've spent the last couple of hours playing it in different configurations of amplification, taking photos, making a review video (uploading as I type) and just generally getting to know the guitar. Not too bad. Sound is decent. Not stellar but then again this is just through existing setups with a little bit of noodling. Impressed with the look, feel, build quality and liking the feel of nylon although it is going to take some getting used to more from a playing dynamics standpoint. I'll embed the video and some photos here but I'm also going to post a NGD thread over in the General Forum eventually just so it's findable by search. It's early but I'm liking the guitar for the most part. I think that if it performs well at the next open mic and allows me to dial in a better tone than I can with my Emeralds then it will likely be a keeper. If not then I think I'll begin looking into an Emerald X10 nylon build unless I can convince someone to part with theirs.

Here's the video - as usual, recorded with just mobile phone so take audio quality with a grain of salt. Also, apologies for the vocals. The wife does most of the singing and there's a reason why that is true! But she was at work... so it's her fault!

Photos to follow...

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Photos, as promised...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber