The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM

From Sharleen,

"I am just writing with a quick update. Neck construction is underway and the beautiful mahogany neck has been cut out and had two carbon fiber rods installed for reinforcement, as well as a dual action titanium truss rod. The headstock has been shaped and bevelled, and the ebony headplate features my standard "Simmons" logo, with a rear headplate featuring a beautiful piece of African Blackwood to compliment the back and sides. I hope to get some serious carving done next week!"

Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Sharleen Simmons build for TAMCO UK.

Sharleen does really lovely work, and I look forward to seeing how this beauty turns out! I'm also very excited to meet Sharleen, and hear her guitars at Woodstock this fall. Thank you for the updates.

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 AM

Nearly ready for the spray booth.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:09 AM

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! Love the clean lines

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

So simply and yet so elegantly presented. Just a gorgeous piece of work.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Looks so nice, I don't think you need a finish on it. I sure it'll sound outstanding. Hope we get to hear a recording! I'm awful curious.

Stuart
Old 08-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Love how stealth this is turning out, great look... Got my attention! Very nice...
Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

So very nice! I had not heard of this builder before so happy to hear about the process of this guitar coming into being. Thanks for posting about it, Trevor. It has an understated elegance that is very attractive. Look forward to following the thread and hearing more.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM

Default a brief introduction

Hi folks!

I sometimes frequent the acoustic guitar forum but usually prefer to stay out of the threads so I can let my work speak for itself. But, I thought I'd take a minute to briefly introduce myself.

My journey into this world began many years ago as a repairperson at a music store in my home province of Newfoundland (repairwork by day, gigs by night). It wasn't long before the bug was bitten, as happens, and I went on my way to Galloup School of Lutherie. After the program I spent a year apprenticing with Michael Greenfield in Montreal. It was here that I met my partner and fellow apprentice at the time (for Ervin Somogyi), Gustav Fredell and eventually I found myself in Sweden working in a shop together with him where I have been for the last two years. As some of you are aware, Gustav recently passed away.

It was just a couple of days before Gustav died that Trevor commissioned this guitar for TAMCO. So, this guitar has been a particularly significant journey for me, and in some ways is in honour of Gustav and his memory and in other ways a symbol to the start of my new life. I am VERY happy with how it has turned out and cannot wait to get some strings on it. If you have any questions about this particular instrument or my other work please don't hesitate to get in touch.

A huge thanks to Trevor for starting this thread- it's been a pleasure working with him and I'm excited and honoured to be represented in the UK by such a reputable dealer.

Thanks to you all for all the great feedback!

Last edited by ssimmons; 08-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Gosh, I love her work!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimmons View Post
Hi folks!

I sometimes frequent the acoustic guitar forum but usually prefer to stay out of the threads so I can let my work speak for itself. But, I thought I'd take a minute to briefly introduce myself.

My journey into this world began many years ago as a repairperson at a music store in my home province of Newfoundland (repairwork by day, gigs by night). It wasn't long before the bug was bitten, as happens, and I went on my way to Galloup School of Lutherie. After the program I spent a year apprenticing with Michael Greenfield in Montreal. It was here that I met my partner and fellow apprentice at the time (for Ervin Somogyi), Gustav Fredell and eventually I found myself in Sweden working in a shop together with him where I have been for the last two years. As some of you are aware, Gustav recently passed away.

It was just a couple of days before Gustav died that Trevor commissioned this guitar for TAMCO. So, this guitar has been a particularly significant journey for me, and in some ways is in honour of Gustav and his memory and in other ways a symbol to the start of my new life. I am VERY happy with how it has turned out and cannot wait to get some strings on it. If you have any questions about this particular instrument or my other work please don't hesitate to get in touch.

A huge thanks to Trevor for starting this thread- it's been a pleasure working with him and I'm excited and honoured to be represented in the UK by such a reputable dealer.

Thanks to you all for all the great feedback!
Thanks for taking the time to post here. So sorry to hear of your loss. It is a beautiful tribute to create a lovely instrument both in memory and in, as you say, making a new start. I wish you all the best and am looking forward to hearing more about your journey with your guitar building.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 AM

A few more photos.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:11 AM

Getting closer.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Absolutely stunning, Sharleen!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks so much Peggy! See you soon in New York and Berlin!

And thank you all again for keeping up with this thread and for all your kind comments. I appreciate it so much! Can't wait to share the final results with you all very soon....!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop