The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Dale you win, I'm keeping it... so what strings should I try?

After a couple of stints listing my Fairbanks F-35 in the AGF classifieds, I've decided from a sonic standpoint, I might be able to do different, but I can't do better. It's just plain magnificent. So I'm going to stop complaining about the nut width, focus on honing a more precise fretting hand, and basque in the wonderful voice of this woody songbird.

So since I'm not going to be looking for a new instrument, I'm curious: for all of you Fairbanks jumbo owners out there, what brand, type, and gauge strings do you use? I'm generally pretty lazy in the string experiment dept., slapping EJ-16s or 17s on everything. I've actually only tried 16s on this one, as I'm not sure how robust the bracing is on this guitar, but I'm curious if it's possible to put mediums on it, would I get even more headroom out of it... I'm already astounded about how much power this two year old short scale guitar has. What do you all think?

Owners of Kopps, Walkers, and other bench built Gibsonoids feel free to chime in!

Ian
Beard resonator Englemann/walnut
Old 03-17-2024, 05:53 AM

Ian -

Dale has mentioned to me that he uses the EJ16s. Myself, I prefer DR .012 Sunbeams. I like them well worn in. I especially like their feel.

Most of the sets I use have total tensions in the 140-160 lb range. I have tried Straight Up Strings and the SantaCruz Strings (which I love on my smaller guitars), and they just don’t do it for me. Same with Pearse. Not surprisingly, the EJ16s sound very good, but I prefer the feel of the Sunbeams.

Evaluating the sound of strings - brands, gauges and design is such a moving target for me, that I have stopped being too concerned with them. I look for ‘feel’ first and then make sure they are heavy enough to drive the top - the F35 doesn’t need much energy to create its sound.

I have found that my 35 is very sensitive to humidity. It loves to be in the mid 40s. Of course, maybe the humidity is affecting my ears too .

Congratulations on your decision to keep the guitar. You will be hard pressed to find a finer instrument. And, as each year passes, I suspect it will sound better and better.

Rick

PS - on tap this Spring\summer is a pilgrimage uo to Burlington. I’m going to bring my F35 Fox up there to visit its birthplace and maybe get a little tweak fom its Daddy!
Old 03-17-2024, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Great move keeping it. I really like John Pearse New Mediums on my Kopp K-35… the PB”s or the 80/20’s…if you’re auditioning strings they’re worth a try.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:48 AM

lagatrix,

What is the nut width? 1+3/4"?

Presuming it's based on the J-35, or is at least very similar, I would like to recommend Elixir PB HD Light gauge strings. I favor J-200 style large Jumboes, and I try this gauge on all of them. Most of the time it works out great, including on my Gibson J-200 and my Taylor Grand Orchestra six-string guitars.

Elixir PB HD Light gauge is basically Medium trebles over Light bass strings, and results in a very balanced sound. Besides, a 17" Jumbo doesn't need additional bass to get it rockin'. A Grand Orchestra is a Jumbo relation but with a wider waist.

Elixir HD Light gauge = {.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053}.

For me, I like a 1+3/4" nut/fretboard width. But I can easily play a 1+11/16" width, like on my Gibson and Epiphone J-200s.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-17-2024 at 09:02 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 03-17-2024, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I managed to snag a new Fairbanks F20 a couple of weeks ago from Ben and Bucky's in Burlington, VT. Not easy to find. I have no idea how many guitars Dale makes during a year, but it can't very many. So far, not a thing I would change. It's super lightweight (3lbs 2oz), exquisitely built, easy to play, sounds great. I'm honored to own it.

My strings of choice are the Thomastik Infeld AC111's. Super expensive unfortunately.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-17-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with EJ-16s as most if not all Gibson acoustics come with Light strings and I found that Mediums tended to choke out the tops.

Personally I like XS PB Lights, Santa Cruz Low or Mid Tension, EJ-24 True Mediums, Pearse 710 New Mediums, and Martin M545 Light Mediums.

Lights are lights, but the others listed are Medium E, B, and high e mixed with Light A, D, and G strings. They are nice “tweener” sets.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-17-2024, 12:44 PM

On my Kopp K-185 I use John Pearse phosphor bronze strings in bluegrass gauge (light trebles, medium basses.) I also tested the Pearse 80/20’s and Pure Nickels on that instrument, but liked the sound of the phosphors the most on that particular guitar.

So my recommendation is that you try several string alloys to determine which works best for you.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion