The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-08-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Default DON'T GET THE COLOGUARD TEST!!!

I really should have posted this as a standalone topic in Open Mic last year but didn't. Maybe I will do that here shortly. More on that in a moment. First, to the OP, just as everyone else has said, a colonoscopy is literally a piece of cake. Yes, the prep sucks - plan on sitting on the toilet for a few hours the night before and you've never been so clean down there on the inside in your life! But the actual test is easy-peasy - it's over so fast you (literally) don't even know it and there is no pain or discomfort afterwards, at least there was none for me.

So, now onto my bold statement above. Why should you NOT get the Cologuard test? Three reasons. First, they are notoriously inaccurate. False positives are super-common. False negatives probably less so but imagine getting a false negative when you really have colon cancer or more likely pre-cancerous polyps that aren't detected by Colorguard but would easily be detected AND removed by an actual colonoscopy. Second reason, the false positive means that you'll have to then go and have the colonoscopy anyway and in the meantime you'll be super-stressed that you might have colon cancer when in fact you likely don't. But here's the third and the most annoying reason to NOT get the Cologuard test: If you pop positive on a Cologuard test and then go get a colonoscopy YOU'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE COLONOSCOPY TEST FULLY OUT OF POCKET!

Yeah, that's right, the test that was free for almost any and all insurance's out there is now NOT covered. Why? Because a colonoscopy alone is considered a preventive medicine test covered 100% by almost all insurances. But a colonoscopy that is requested AFTER a positive Cologuard test is considered to be a 'diagnostic test' to confirm (or more likely deny) the test results of what is most likely a false positive from an inaccurate test! This happened to us. My wife put off having her colonoscopy for no good reason other than it weirded her out. I'd already had two done but she still resisted. I finally browbeat her into getting it done but she went the Cologuard route instead. The test came back positive so she then had to schedule the colonoscopy. On the day of the test they called us (thankfully) and told her that she would have to pay for the entire procedure out of pocket. Only $6,000.

Since then I have been on a mission to tell anyone and everyone I know to NOT use the Cologuard test.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:34 AM

I had my first colonoscopy a few years ago and he said I needed to come back in 5 years for a follow-up colonoscopy. I told him I was busy on that day...

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 03-08-2024, 09:02 AM

For a few years after my last colonoscopy, the GI docs would send me a birthday card saying "looking forward to seeing you soon". I wasn't sure how they meant that.

echoing all the above, its not in itself painful, but it takes out two days of your life. And beware, the anesthetic can work like a truth serum, and you end up saying some weird things as you're waking up. Your spouse (if there with you) may have some questions.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I've had a couple of virtual colonoscopies, it doesn't circumvent the grueling "prep"/ total evacuation of the bowels. It doesn't require the anesthetic, as it involves an MRI scan that takes about 10-15 minutes. Basically they pump some air into your colon so that they can get a good image and the scan can detect polyps.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:00 PM

It can be a life saver, it's not that bad. The worst part is having to finish the gallon jug of the liquid that cleans you out......Stay very close to the toilet.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
I've had a couple of virtual colonoscopies, it doesn't circumvent the grueling "prep"/ total evacuation of the bowels. It doesn't require the anesthetic, as it involves an MRI scan that takes about 10-15 minutes. Basically they pump some air into your colon so that they can get a good image and the scan can detect polyps.
And if the virtual finds polyps, you have to go through the same thing all over again for removal, correct? Granted you’re perhaps avoiding the anesthetic, but I’d take a quick IV poke over double evac prep anytime.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-09-2024, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
It can be a life saver, it's not that bad. The worst part is having to finish the gallon jug of the liquid that cleans you out......Stay very close to the toilet.
Although the result is the same many places have shifted to a quart of more concentrated prep. A little easier to deal with.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, been though it a number of times, no big deal. I've had colon problems, possibly due to peritonitis and emergency surgery at age 14.

For all between 60 and 74, the NHS here (UK) send everyone you a little stool test package every two years which you use, and post it back through the post.

If necessary - local hospital sends you an appointment and the Moviprep, so you spend a while pebble- dashing the porcelain. No biggie (mainly smally). Take a couple of magazines in with you.

Then you go along to the hospital and get in the queue. They offer a full anaesthetic (which means it's gonna be a long day! or nothing - I always opt for nothing, as there is no pain, a little discomfort (if the camera comes our through your nose!) but I like to watch what they are doing on the monitor.

It is fascinating to watch them using the laser on polyps - again no pain.

I am now too old for the bi-annual tests, so I guess its ok for me to die now.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
For all between 60 and 74, the NHS here (UK) send everyone you a little stool test package every two years which you use, and post it back through the post. [...] They offer a full anaesthetic (which means it's gonna be a long day! or nothing.
Here it's after 50, so this knowledge makes me feel a little better about redirecting those mailings to the waste paper bin (it's always an invite to request the [s]tools btw). They test your sample for traces of blood, so if you know it's going to be there anyway you can just as well skip the step.

There's a concurrent thread about the same subject on my other forum which already surprised me to see how easily people accept a full anaesthesia for a check-up. Those aren't exactly without risk.

Quote:
I am now too old for the bi-annual tests, so I guess its ok for me to die now.
Despite what doctors think it's always up to you to decide whether or not it's ok to die but IMHO it's always more ok to go from something that doesn't take its sweet time or turns you into a brainless breathing corpse

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-09-2024, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Here it's after 50, so this knowledge makes me feel a little better about redirecting those mailings to the waste paper bin (it's always an invite to request the [s]tools btw). They test your sample for traces of blood, so if you know it's going to be there anyway you can just as well skip the step.

There's a concurrent thread about the same subject on my other forum which already surprised me to see how easily people accept a full anaesthesia for a check-up. Those aren't exactly without risk.

Despite what doctors think it's always up to you to decide whether or not it's ok to die but IMHO it's always more ok to go from something that doesn't take its sweet time or turns you into a brainless breathing corpse
Don't know where you are but here in the US it's not full anesthesia. They give you a sedative and a drug that makes you forget or otherwise unaware of what's happening, but you are not under spinal or general anesthesia.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Don't know where you are but here in the US it's not full anesthesia.
I got the impression it was from what others said about not being able to go home on your own, but I was reacting to Silly's post about how things are in the UK. I'm in France and have no idea what's normal here for this exam.

Someone on that other thread mentioned that the practioners usually prefer to have the subject put under so they don't have to play tour guide...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Here's a link describing the common approaches used - at this particular institution anyway! I learned something!

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...159618645.html.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:27 PM

Last time I had one, the doc said afterwards, “you drank all the prep, didn’t you? It was completely clean in there.” I was surprised that some people don’t finish the stuff, and said so. He said, “you’d be surprised how many people stop halfway through.” To me, it makes more sense that the cleaner it is, the easier it would be to see any anomaly that might be there, but apparently some folks don’t think like that. I’ve never used one of the home tests, because if it comes up positive, you’ve got to have a colonoscopy anyway. I can deal with sitting on the throne for quite awhile every ten years - it can save your life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic