The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 08:12 AM

Default What is the ultimate campfire guitar?

Was just thinking about what the best camping guitar would be. Something not too expensive, valuable or sentimental, because you don’t want to shed too many tears if it were damaged or scuffed up some.

Does it have to be a dreadnought to give that traditional vibe? Or would a smaller guitar benefit because it is easier to pack, take up,less room?

Is synthetic/laminated material a must for durability, not sensitive to climate and low in price?

My first suggestion, a Martin Jr. Dreadnought. Gives the dread look, but is smaller, has a warm Martin sound and does not break the bank.

Please tell me what you would buy if you could choose any reasonably priced guitar on the planet.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 AM

1. The least expensive used guitar that you can find that still has decent playability.

2. Something fireproof.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

This meets all criteria except low price....I bought an Emerald X7 specifically for campfire, travel and take to jams, etc.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:42 AM

I just take whichever one of my main...and super nice...guitars I feel like playing.

That's the whole point to having a super nice instrument, to play it and enjoy it at what it does better than anything else you might have...and there is NO place more fun to play a guitar than outside around a campfire with family and friends on a lovely evening from dusk to dark.

Of course I do not hang with folks who like to drink and get tipsy around the campfire...or anyplace else for that matter...so I don't have that particular concern to deal with.

Life's too short not to enjoy making music with your best guitars whenever and wherever you can. Scratches and bumps and dings are just part of life...both for us and our guitars.

Look and Willie's "Trigger"...sure it's rough...but...NO guitar on the planet has had a better life than it has...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-17-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a beat up, 30-year old Yamaha LG420A that’s probably worth $100 on a good day, that would make a great campfire guitar. Unless space were an issue, I would take it before I took a GS Mini, Dreadnought Jr., etc.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachecropp View Post
Was just thinking about what the best camping guitar would be. Something not too expensive, valuable or sentimental, because you don’t want to shed too many tears if it were damaged or scuffed up some.

Does it have to be a dreadnought to give that traditional vibe? Or would a smaller guitar benefit because it is easier to pack, take up,less room?

Is synthetic/laminated material a must for durability, not sensitive to climate and low in price?

My first suggestion, a Martin Jr. Dreadnought. Gives the dread look, but is smaller, has a warm Martin sound and does not break the bank.

Please tell me what you would buy if you could choose any reasonably priced guitar on the planet.
Hi Cachecropp!

First, welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post! How very cool! I hope you enjoy it here!

Regarding campfire guitars, I used to take my 1967 Martin D-35 with my wife and I camping because it was my only guitar. These days I have a folding-neck, Voyage-Air guitar model VA-OM06 that I use. It has its own backpack case, it's worth much less than the D-35, and it sounds amazingly good. The VA guitar is an OM with a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides.

- Glenn
Old 10-17-2021, 10:13 AM

The best campfire guitar you could have is one that sounds like a guitar, but is dirt cheap.
Then, when the campfire playing and singing ends, you just toss it onto the top of the campfire.
[Guitar store salesman told me this one years ago ]
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:59 AM

Default What is the ultimate campfire guitar?

Esteban - if it starts getting really cold, you could use it for firewood with no real loss...
Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachecropp View Post
What is the ultimate campfire guitar?
I'd go with a solid body electric. I think acoustics likely burn too quickly and you probably want your campfire to last awhile.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM

For me, a campfire guitar needs the following specs: sounds good, portable/small, can handle the elements, not expensive and already beat up (so it's not a theft target).

If you're "campfire" is an RV campground or your backyard, you probably don't need the portable aspect, but then again, the smaller guitars are a lot easier to play in a chair versus a bigger guitar that needs a bench or stool.

Given that you asked specifically for affordable models, I'd recommend any of these, ideally on the used market so they've already got some scratches and dings:
  • Taylor GS Mini, ideally the mahogany version with no electronics
  • Martin Dread Jr
  • Martin 000 Jr
  • Breedlove Concertina or Companion (Wildwood version would be my choice)
  • Guild P240 memoir
  • Yamaha CSF1 or CSF3 parlor

All those can be had on the used market for under $500, if you're lucky, and sound good as well.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:31 AM

If portability isnt an issue, my Simon Patrick mini Jumbo... that guitar is just obnoxiously loud. You can make lead lines cut through just about anything you want with that guitar.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:34 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Cachecropp!

I think any guitar that is inexpensive (and that's a relative term) that if still fun to play. I'd include any of the Godin branded guitars, such as Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art and Lutherie, and Norman. Same with a Yamaha 700/800 series. I like it to have some volume to it as well so it's usually a dread/jumbo for me.

Bring along a capo too and some spare picks.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Cachecropp!

First, welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post! How very cool! I hope you enjoy it here!

Regarding campfire guitars, I used to take my 1967 Martin D-35 with my wife and I camping because it was my only guitar. These days I have a folding-neck, Voyage-Air guitar model VA-OM06 that I use. It has its own backpack case, it's worth much less than the D-35, and it sounds amazingly good. The VA guitar is an OM with a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides.

- Glenn
Glenn said it well. I also take my Voyage Air for outdoor play. The backpack style case is easier to carry and fit into small spaces than a traditional case or gig bag. And it is a “real guitar “in size and tone. Anything smaller than a 00 is uncomfortable for me to play.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If portability isnt an issue, my Simon Patrick mini Jumbo... that guitar is just obnoxiously loud. You can make lead lines cut through just about anything you want with that guitar.
I agree. I have a 2005 S&P Mini Jumbo. It's a wonderful guitar, great tone, and can get loud. I've taken it to campfires before.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I'll take anything to a campfire party except the Froggy Bottom. But for outside parties/bonfires/campfire/lake/beach nothing beats a carbon fiber. They are not inexpensive but you can get a used one for a decent price and not much will bother it. After that any old inexpensive laminate guitar would do just fine. Something like an Alvarez or Seagull would be my likely go-to. The Martin Dread Jr. would be a good choice as well. Or any of the Journey or Voyage Air offerings. There is no 'ultimate'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion