The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 PM

Default I Don't Get It - Unplayed Guitars

I've had my eyes open on classified ads from various sites...here, Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc...

More often then not, I see 'hardly played", or "rarely taken out of its case" advertised.

WHY?

If the guitars are so awesome to sway the owner to purchase it, why isn't it played more often? Too many guitars? Afraid to damage it or create fret wear? Something wrong with the guitar? Tastes change?

What have been your experiences?
Clyde - GAce Fall-LTD
It's a girl! - 254ce DLX

Guitars Front | Guitars Back
Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
I've had my eyes open on classified ads from various sites...here, Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc...

More often then not, I see 'hardly played", or "rarely taken out of its case" advertised.

WHY?

If the guitars are so awesome to sway the owner to purchase it, why isn't it played more often? Too many guitars? Afraid to damage it or create fret wear? Something wrong with the guitar? Tastes change?

I buy them to play, but i have multiple. Some get played more than others.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Some people try to learn then lose interest and eventually sell the guitar.

Others start out acoustic then switch to electric. Others the opposite.

Lots of reasons for rarely played case queens.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

I've sold guitars because I wasn't playing them enough to warrant keeping them. But that being said, I think possibly all of the reasons you mentioned and more. Regardless, some of mine get played consistently while others get played a little less.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:46 PM

Sometimes they just didn't bond with the guitar. And sometime it's simply people who have more money than they know what to do with.

You don't have to get it. Just look at it as an opportunity to get an awesome guitar.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Guitars can be like keys - although they may not open your lock doesn't mean that they wouldn't open someone else's.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-20-2018, 07:22 PM

As many answers to this as there are people.
I’d take anything said by an unknown seller with a grain (or two) of salt.
Don
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Guest 728

Sometimes it's a neck profile or a string spacing issue that they can't live with, even though it wasn't a big deal when they first purchased it. This has happened to me.

But generally speaking, I think a lot of players are fickle -- they fall in love with a new idea, and then last year's "must-have" guitar becomes a cash cow for the next purchase, and on down the line. Just look at how many "I've got GAS" and "NGD" posts we see here on a daily basis, followed shortly thereafter by an ad in the Classifieds.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Advertising.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I got beat up for a post like this once. I have bought numerous guitars that are almost new, hardly played and better than show room condition. Good for me. But I know that in less than a month I'll put ten times the wear on it if it's a decent guitar. If not it's sold. I play my guitars and it shows. I'm not going to change that as I like to play my guitars. I'm paying for them. There are people that take very good care of their guitars. Well, thanks. I felt the same way in the old days when I bought a used care with the interior coated with plastic seat covers. I'd buy the car and take the plastic off the seats and enjoy the "new" seats that the previous owner didn't.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post

WHY?

A lot of people purchase guitars long distance. After the initial honeymoon wears off, longer term issues with playability, neck profile, versatility for the style of music one plays, etc., can develop and sour one's love for the guitar. I've personally had neck profile and playability issues creep up multiple times. Guitar tone was fine, but after about 6 months or so, got tired of fighting the instrument. Ordering long distance or buying after playing in a store for a couple hours makes no difference. The issues I'm mentioning can develop after you've had the instrument for a while. So the guitar, in nearly new condition, gets put in the corner for a while and then eventually offered for sale.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM

I’ll pass on any acoustic guitar that isn’t interesting enough for someone to keep for an extended period of time.

Guitars that move from one to another are moving for a reason, and many times that is because it isn’t a compelling experience to play it. I know there are always exceptions.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM

I see guitars advertised for sale that I know are owned by college students since there is a major university close by. They take a beginner college level class. Easy, fun credits. Sometimes, they continue with the guitar, often times, not. Sometimes, the guitar has gone through 3 or 4 owners.
Many of these guitars are decent but inexpensive instruments- low end Alvarez or Yamaha models. Not all of them, however. I guess it depends in who pays for the guitar.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

one persons dream Guitar is/was another persons “I just couldn’t bond with this Guitar” Guitar.

I to am weary of buying used but I have sold perfectly excellent guitars that went to good homes and the owners are very happy with the guitar, and the deal they got
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I have guitars I rarely play- I bought them just because I thought they looked cool, or they are a model I didn't have. Some I play once in a while, but not very often. Maybe someday I will play them more. I play my main acoustic every day. other guitars might not come out of their cases for many months. I still like them. I just don't play them.

Once in a while I will sell a rarely played guitar- mainly electric- just because I don't have any more room for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion