The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2022, 03:48 AM

Default Amp comparison advice-sorry!

I have a Takamine EF261SAN from 1990s with stainless steel frets. Been using Marshall as50D for years but getting back to gigging mainly church buildings (CofE with massive roof and tons reverb) and school halls around 50-150 people Marshall is being pushed too hard and sound quality less than clear. I’m looking for an amp upgrade with the following criteria:

Can use as monitor with PA plus small-medium venues 100 people village church.
Triple EQ plus filter for feedback adjustment at least.
Excellent vocal sound as well as acoustic (sm58s) (ruled out AER on this from reviews).
No effects needed but effects loop ideal.
Sounds good for recording also
DI out
Ideally 3 Channels for guitar, mic and cello/2nd mic.
All in single amp not interested in lugging stands/full PA around.
Ships to UK

I’ve got eye on Acus One forstrings 8 and schertler Jam (quite a bit more expensive than Arcus in UK for similar feature set). Not tried any but will order 2 or 3 and keep 1.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Tim
Old 11-18-2022, 05:31 AM

Budget?

A Fishman Loud Box Artist would be my standard answer.
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/loudbox-artist/

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

The most versatile setup I have that will work for small to medium size rooms is a Bose S1 Pro with an EAE Gigmix.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-18-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Budget?

A Fishman Loud Box Artist would be my standard answer.
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/loudbox-artist/
Thanks guys. Budget around £1000. Fishman looks good but would value 3 channels ideally. Thanks
Old 11-18-2022, 10:32 AM

I've played a bunch of acoustic amps (Fishman, Boss, Fender, Roland etc.) and for me none of them come close to the tone I get going through the effect loop return of my Val King 210 18 watt 6v6 tube amp. I use a NUX Stageman Floor pre-amp and have an ab/y box so I can use my pedal board for either an electric going through the preamp of the amp or my acoustic going through the return. Every acoustic amp sounds thin and tinny in comparison to my ears. I also have an Alto TS312 and even that doesn't sound close to being as nice as my amp. Maybe my ears are shot...
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-18-2022, 10:56 AM

If I read your input requirements correctly you're looking for 5 inputs. An all-in-one system in a single cabinet is going to be hard to find new for your price limit. You could easily achieve it with a small mixer and a powered speaker like a QSC k8, k10 or k12 but you'd likely still need/want a pole to put it up on.

The EAE D6-58 is pretty much exactly what you describe in terms of inputs, EQ and tone shaping abilities and power/great sound in a single box but those are $1,299 new (US) and I don't know about shipping. I have one and it's great. Also look into the EV30M which has a lot of inputs and features but again, just up over the $1k US and I don't know about shipping to the UK.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I've played a bunch of acoustic amps (Fishman, Boss, Fender, Roland etc.) and for me none of them come close to the tone I get going through the effect loop return of my Val King 210 18 watt 6v6 tube amp. I use a NUX Stageman Floor pre-amp and have an ab/y box so I can use my pedal board for either an electric going through the preamp of the amp or my acoustic going through the return. Every acoustic amp sounds thin and tinny in comparison to my ears. I also have an Alto TS312 and even that doesn't sound close to being as nice as my amp. Maybe my ears are shot...
What I’m realising on this site is that perhaps in contrast to electric (can’t beat my American original tele through a Princeton reverb) there are so many ways to get a good acoustic sound. It is really interesting hearing everyone’s perspective.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
If I read your input requirements correctly you're looking for 5 inputs. An all-in-one system in a single cabinet is going to be hard to find new for your price limit. You could easily achieve it with a small mixer and a powered speaker like a QSC k8, k10 or k12 but you'd likely still need/want a pole to put it up on.

The EAE D6-58 is pretty much exactly what you describe in terms of inputs, EQ and tone shaping abilities and power/great sound in a single box but those are $1,299 new (US) and I don't know about shipping. I have one and it's great. Also look into the EV30M which has a lot of inputs and features but again, just up over the $1k US and I don't know about shipping to the UK.
Based on advice here, I bought the EAE D6-8 MKII 80W. I’m not sure if it would be loud enough for the OP, but it has the same mixer, battery power, and features as it’s big brother. The sound is excellent, and it’s $300 less. If I need more volume in the future I’ll add a powered speaker.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-18-2022, 12:59 PM

My Acus One For Strings 8 is excellent. Have never tried a Schertler Jam, but I hear good things about them, too.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Based on advice here, I bought the EAE D6-8 MKII 80W. I’m not sure if it would be loud enough for the OP, but it has the same mixer, battery power, and features as it’s big brother. The sound is excellent, and it’s $300 less. If I need more volume in the future I’ll add a powered speaker.
Thanks both, I did see these, and would stretch the budget a bit if needed. I’m not a massive fan of the digital interface but as you say options are limited at this price. I think I would need the 120w big brother of the two. I don’t think my intro was clear apologies. I need 3 channels in total, one for guitar, one for mic and another for my wife for vocals mainly.

What is the vocal sound like on the EAE D6-58?
My guitar is quite bright, how are the mids and lows?
Has anyone A-B the EAE with the Acus one forstrings 8??

Cheers
Old 11-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWar View Post
Thanks both, I did see these, and would stretch the budget a bit if needed. I’m not a massive fan of the digital interface but as you say options are limited at this price. I think I would need the 120w big brother of the two. I don’t think my intro was clear apologies. I need 3 channels in total, one for guitar, one for mic and another for my wife for vocals mainly.

What is the vocal sound like on the EAE D6-58?
My guitar is quite bright, how are the mids and lows?
Has anyone A-B the EAE with the Acus one forstrings 8??

Cheers
Vocal sound using an average mic was excellent, my Taylor 12 fret sounded great, too, with everything set pretty much flat. After reading negative comments about the Taylor pickup in general, was pleasantly surprised. My RainSong sounded excellent, too, although the pickup is much hotter, and I needed to turn the input gain down. Plenty of bass, and nice full sound.
Overall it was the best combined vocal and natural amplified acoustic sound I’ve ever heard. Will probably be selling my Bose acoustic singer pro.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-18-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWar View Post
What I’m realising on this site is that perhaps in contrast to electric (can’t beat my American original tele through a Princeton reverb) there are so many ways to get a good acoustic sound. It is really interesting hearing everyone’s perspective.
That's my rig... a Tele through my 1969 PR. 12 watts can be very loud! Someone had already cut the baffle for a 12" and I'm glad they did because I wouldn't have had the nerve. An efficient 12" speaker changes them from a bedroom amp that needs to be mic'd for live situations to a gigging amp that is great for small venues. I can't get too much past 3 without being told to lower the volume.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-18-2022, 02:08 PM

I’d try seeking out a used AER Domino, they’re a fantastic amp. The newer ones have four channels and the older ones three, and they’re a powerful amp with great dispersion and projection. Crisp and clear with an immense amount of headroom.

If you can live with two channels, I cannot recommend the AER Compact 60 Mk4 highly enough. I take mine everywhere and use it as my main guitar and vocal amp for shows with no house rig, and as a guitar monitor/DI for big shows. Absolutely stellar bit of kit, the best gear investment I’ve ever made. I’ve owned an AS50D previously and the Compact 60 is considerably louder, far more hi-fi and projects massively better.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

Last edited by Jinder; 11-18-2022 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 11-18-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if the HK Move 8 might be worth a look. Has enough legit inputs (2 combo, 1 instrument jack, 1 aux-in/bluetooth.). Probably loud enough at 123 db peak. I don't think any of us stateside have heard it, it's more easily obtainable in Europe.

https://hkaudio.com/products/move-8/

I checked the Anderton's site in London and I don't see it listed there--but I do see all the usual Evolves. As several of us have said, it's a pity the Everse 8 has only two legit inputs, it might have also fit the bill. But the 30m is there, stretch goal for the OP.

The EAE D6-58 does sound just about perfect. I'm not sure how easily you can get it in the UK.

And yes, there's a wonderful variety of quality options now.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM

Twar,
it may be difficult to find the right Amp/PA for what you need and stay under $1,000.00.
The biggest problem will be available channels.

I went with a 2 channel Line Array system and added a small mixer to fit my needs.

You stated that you didn't want to have to use a stand/pole but you should still consider something like the Fishman Tower system.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-audio-system

You can add their mixer that attaches to the system and be right at $1,000.00.
This is a great sounding system that would fill all your needs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification