The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Has one of your guitars ever made you dislike your other guitar?

Like the title says, has one of your guitars ever made you dislike one of your other guitars? I know several of you are wondering why I sold my Bourgeois Banjo Killer that I have openly praised on here MANY times! Well, the answer is this. If I’d never acquired my D41, I’d still own the Banjo Killer and still be singing its praises. Unfortunately, playing my D41 Daily for 2 weeks and at least an hour, minimum made me realize that I’m not as big of a Mahogany fan as I thought. I realized that I like that warmer rosewood tone. Another big factor that I never realized as much is that I’m not a fan of a short-scale, 1 23/32” nut guitar. This thing gets a little cramped capoed up the neck. So, what I’m saying is my D41 pointed out the flaws of my Banjo Killer Slope D. I’d played the Bourgeois at a ratio of probably 100/2 times compared to the 41 and those flaws were never apparent until I flipped the ratio the other way to the Martin. BUT I’ll be replacing my Bourgeois with a Bourgeois Vintage Deluxe D with an aged toned Adirondack top/EIR back and sides and torrefied Adi Banjo Killer bracing. It’s also got a 1 3/4” nut and is long scale. So all the flaws of one Bourgeois will be fixed with another.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yes, I’ve had one guitar chase another out of the house. More than once. But most of the time a guitar is sold because my style, skill level and/or ears have change and the guitar no longer fits in the herd.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:31 PM

I have to say yes - but with a twist - one guitar has made me appreciate other qualities in my other guitars.

I have two Bourgeois Guitars and I absolutely love them both - that being said - pound for pound I always gravitate back to my Martin HD-28V. I just love the Martin sound.

Nothing comes close to the bass growl I can get on the Martin. I love the way the Bourgeois play and for some things, I like them more. Great clarity, but for dig in rhythm, nothing beats the sound of a Martin for me.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Like the title says, has one of your guitars ever made you dislike one of your other guitars?
Hi TnF…
Nope - not dislike. But after I played my first Olson, it did lead me to sell my 17 year old D-28 (a guitar I dearly loved, and have fond memories of to this day) to commission an Olson…which I have had as my main guitar for more than 28 years now.

Didn't hate the Martain, but unless I sold it (and took a third job) I'd not have been able to afford the Olson.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I have an equal opportunity approach to guitar ownership...any guitar can become number one in the rotation...and .any guitar can be kicked out of the rotation altogether...thems the rules...but I love em all and have bid many a teary eyed farewell to some swell guitars...
Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 PM

Nope.

They are different, but (if I still have them) are all wonderful.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 PM

I guess I worded my thread and title wrongly. I don’t dislike the Slope D, I just don’t have the desire for it that I once did. I’ve moved quite a few guitars along the way and I’d HONESTLY like to find another keeper like my 41.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BUT I’ll be replacing my Bourgeois with a Bourgeois Vintage Deluxe D with an aged toned Adirondack top/EIR back and sides and torrefied Adi Banjo Killer bracing. It’s also got a 1 3/4” nut and is long scale. So all the flaws of one Bourgeois will be fixed with another.
Congrats on finding the one dread I nearly ordered until I got the 1934D.

Where on earth did you find an Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D with the banjo killer bracing AND the 1 3/4 nut / 2 5/16” spacing neck ?? Soundpure had one guitar that I passed on because it had the narrower 1 23/32 nut and 2.2” spacing, otherwise perfect. Another dealer had the same neck and no banjo killer bracing. Still another had the Satin finish option with the bigger 1 3/4 nut neck and 2 5/16” spacing but no banjo killer bracing.

I could not find one with the AT + BK bracing + the bigger neck. Big Congrats to you — you win!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-14-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Has one of your guitars ever made you dislike your other guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Congrats on finding the one dread I nearly ordered until I got the 1934D.

Where on earth did you find an Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D with the banjo killer bracing AND the 1 3/4 nut / 2 5/16” spacing neck ?? Soundpure had one guitar that I passed on because it had the narrower 1 23/32 nut and 2.2” spacing, otherwise perfect. Another dealer had the same neck and no banjo killer bracing. Still another had the Satin finish option with the bigger 1 3/4 nut neck and 2 5/16” spacing but no banjo killer bracing.

I could not find one with the AT + BK bracing + the bigger neck. Big Congrats to you — you win!

It actually found me! I had posted mine for sale on Facebook and the owner messaged me about it. I can’t wait to get it!!

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 08-14-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 PM

I sold my Fender a few months after getting me a Taylor.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yes, I’ve had one guitar chase another out of the house. More than once. But most of the time a guitar is sold because my style, skill level and/or ears have change and the guitar no longer fits in the herd.
Just curious... why did you get rid of your D-41?
Old 08-14-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW01 View Post
Just curious... why did you get rid of your D-41?
I’ve always wondered about that too! My D41 was my first Martin and is registered to my son and will be his one day. SPECIAL guitars!

Old 08-15-2020, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess I worded my thread and title wrongly. I don’t dislike the Slope D, I just don’t have the desire for it that I once did. I’ve moved quite a few guitars along the way and I’d HONESTLY like to find another keeper like my 41.
And your current Bourgeois is not “flawed”, your D41 just fits your needs tonally and ergonomically better. Could be just the opposite for a different player.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:43 AM

It doesn’t make me dislike the other guitars but I’m able to keep only one...
Old 08-15-2020, 04:45 AM

Unfortunately, yes.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion