The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2019, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin OM18 GE or Martin 000-28 EC as addition to Goodall TROM?

I am thinking about an addition to my guitar collection (who isn't). I play about equally with a pick and bare fingers. Influences include John Mayer, James Taylor, Eric Clapton's blues, Neil Young etc). My current main guitars are a Goodall TROM and a Lowden S12 (small body size, Mahogany/ Spruce).

I'm looking for a nice addition to these two, perhaps a little more traditional in sound.

I have an early 2000s Martin 000-28EC coming in on a trade (for a BSG dreadnaught with Brazilian rosewood) next week. I'm wondering how this is going to compare to the Goodall. I wonder if it will it be different enough to stand on it's own, or will I just prefer the Goodall and not touch the EC? I'm certainly interested to try the shorter scale.

I've recently found a Martin OM18 Adirondack custom shop with GE bracing for nearly the same price that I could sell the EC for. These have gotten a lot of love on the forum and I would also be very interested to try it. Perhaps the mahogany would be a better compliment to the TROM?

I guess I'm looking for something a bit more responsive to a light, bare-fingered touch. The Goodall is amazing with a pick, but is a bit hard to get going with bare fingers. Perhaps something a little less heavy on the overtones could be nice too, as a contrast.

What do you all think? How would you compare the EC with the OM18GE?

Last edited by brianlcox; 04-13-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:11 AM

Default My $.02

Clapton’s are sweet but I would choose the OM18GE any day. I simply prefer adi over Sitka. Sure, there are great Sitka guitars out there but adi just seems to have a clarity to it as well as some qualities that I simply prefer. I’ve had several GE and Marquis Martins and they are stellar guitars. And as much as I like Rosewood of various types, if I had to have only one guitar, it would be mohagany. I love the clarity and warmth. Of course it all depends on the individual guitars in question so you’ll have to see. Enjoy the hunt
Old 04-13-2019, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I have a Custom Shop OM-18. It was originally ordered by Mandolin Bros on Staten Island as part of the second order of 12 and it's an amazing guitar. It puts everything else I ever try to shame. Right now I'm getting another guitar and I thought I wanted rosewood, but it just doesn't work for me. To me, with me playing, rosewood sounds cloudy. Over the past weeks, I've played quite a few rosewood guitars they are just not for me. I'm getting another mahogany; a Martin custom shop J-17.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Default 2 3/8" string spacing

The OM18 GE has 2 3/8" string spacing at the bridge- I guess this will be nice for bare fingers, but will it be a weird adjustment from 2 1/4 or will I even notice? I've never played anything that wide before.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
The OM18 GE has 2 3/8" string spacing at the bridge- I guess this will be nice for bare fingers, but will it be a weird adjustment from 2 1/4 or will I even notice? I've never played anything that wide before.
My .02 clams.

That's not a show-stopper for me, but I know that for some people it is. You won't know until you try.

The Adi top will be great for flat out playing and can really nail it on the blues and bluegrass. The tone is killer. The Clapton will be more subdued by comparison for flat out playing. The reverse is true for vocal-accompanied singer/songwriter stuff (IMO). You almost have to own an Adi top for a while to decide if it's really for you. I personally would choose the Clapton for balance over horsepower if I couldn't A/B them together but that's with playing *my* style of music. I would also add that I would use a thumb pick with the Clapton to eke out a distinct bass line. Although it has great balance, it's one of the quieter Martin OMs I've played. Again, you won't know until you try. Good problem to have, and good luck.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I find it's a big difference. If I were you I would try to find a guitar locally with 2 3/8 that you can try to see how you feel. As you can see, opinions vary widely.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I own a Brazilian TROM and a Martin 000-18 Authentic. The TROM is from 2008 and the Martin from 2007 — both Adi tops and well broken in. They are really nice complements to one another and are forgiving to play, but the TROM being long scale is superior in volume, overtone content, bass response, and headroom...with pick or fingers it doesn’t matter.

Just my opinion, but the Clapton can’t hold a candle to the TROM. It’s high school basketball vs pro players — not a fair fight.

You WILL notice the difference with the 2 3/8” string spacing on the OM-18GE. The Martin has a thicker neck than the Goodall and is shaped differently. Good luck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am thinking about an addition to my guitar collection (who isn't). I play about equally with a pick and bare fingers. Influences include John Mayer, James Taylor, Eric Clapton's blues, Neil Young etc). My current main guitars are a Goodall TROM and a Lowden S12 (small body size, Mahogany/ Spruce).

I'm looking for a nice addition to these two, perhaps a little more traditional in sound.

I have an early 2000s Martin 000-28EC coming in on a trade (for a BSG dreadnaught with Brazilian rosewood) next week. I'm wondering how this is going to compare to the Goodall. I wonder if it will it be different enough to stand on it's own, or will I just prefer the Goodall and not touch the EC? I'm certainly interested to try the shorter scale.

I've recently found a Martin OM18 Adirondack custom shop with GE bracing for nearly the same price that I could sell the EC for. These have gotten a lot of love on the forum and I would also be very interested to try it. Perhaps the mahogany would be a better compliment to the TROM?

I guess I'm looking for something a bit more responsive to a light, bare-fingered touch. The Goodall is amazing with a pick, but is a bit hard to get going with bare fingers. Perhaps something a little less heavy on the overtones could be nice too, as a contrast.

What do you all think? How would you compare the EC with the OM18GE?
This has been my experience too. I’ve played, owned and sold a TROM and looked seriously at a beautiful Goodall Traditional 000 still available at Eddies https://youtu.be/naNP9RrkWBA , but after listening to the video and speaking with them, they confirmed exactly what you (and I) have experienced with fingerpicking the Traditional models. They are outstanding with a pick, but I find them less than ideal for finger style. I own a Goodall GC and have played their CJ models that I think do both beautifully. Maybe take a look at other Goodall models that might satisfy both playing styles to your satisfaction.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I had a first year Clapton, still have my Goodall and looking for another.... Just saying. The Clapton was nice, but it's not a Goodall, I found it fell short quickly with any aggressive strumming.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I had a first year Clapton, still have my Goodall and looking for another.... Just saying. The Clapton was nice, but it's not a Goodall, I found it fell short quickly with any aggressive strumming.
Exactly, my Goodall Standard is the most responsive guitar, and it is a large body. Never played a Martin that comes close.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion