The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Default What about Edwinson Guitars

Stephen Sherriff builds nice guitars. That we all know. So I would like some input from those who have owned an Edwinson guitar and how did it hold up and perform over time. Were there problems that developed. Was it easy to keep in tune. Were there problems with the build.
I think the world of Steve so this is not seeking out any bashing of him. No. But before I drop a ton of money for one of his, I thought this might a good place to ask these questions.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Smile Edwinson

Hi, I have an Edwinson I purchased about 18 months ago and am totally happy with it. Absolutely no issues with the quality of the build, the finish, the tone or anything else. It's become my go to guitar. ( I also have a high end Martin, two mid-to high end Gibson's and an 812 Taylor and an all Koa Taylor 12 string, but the Edwinson gets 90+% of the playing time.) Everyone who has played it has remarked on how easily it plays and the wonderful sounds it makes. And, it's the same setup as when I got it from Steve. And to top it all off it's a really good looking guitar as many people have commented on. In fact, I'm considering purchasing one of his new style guitars.

Jim
Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 AM

I have had two guitars built by Steve, both build threads are in my signature.

1. The build process itself for both guitars was phenomenal. Steve encourages (if you are so inclined) a great amount of input, both creative ideas and feedback along the way of the build. He supplies many photos of the process with each step of the build and is highly responsive, communicating constantly with updates. I felt like I was onsite. This was very affirming to me.

2. The completion of each guitar and the initial experience with them was overwhelming with the realization of my dreamed of guitars... I say this because I had very definitive ideas for the themes and certain expectations of them for their finished "look." In both cases, not only were my ideas realized, but they were exceeded beyond my imaginations. The fit and finish of each guitar was immaculate.

3. Tone and playability... as is the case with most new guitars, these two, while sounding very good to my ear when first played, did need a break-in period. Again, they sounded very good, but over time they have both blossomed into very rich sounding and balanced sounding guitars. Steve's guitars, at least the ones I have played (I think about a half-dozen) and the ones I have owned (2) have a signature tone and are more aligned with those that are considered a "modern" sound. As I described, the tone is very balanced. Steve uses a modified fan bracing of his own design along with a couple of other body tweaks that lend themselves to this unique, signature tone. While my guitars are different in size and tonewoods, they still sound similar (in tone style) while retaining some small measure of individuality.

4. Longevity and durability... my guitars are aging nicely. My oldest Edwinson, is aging wonderfully (now 6 yrs old). The Nitrocellulose lacquer is getting a nice patina (yellowing?) that, I think, makes the guitar look very nice. The gloss finish is holding up well, although it has developed a couple of small crazing marks. All other areas of the build are holding up nicely...joints and miters tight, no loose hardware...normal fretwear, etc. My second guitar is the same... although as the Nitro lacquer was curing on it, developed some odd little pin-hole sized impressions. I contacted Steve when this was first noticed and he was very quick to say we'd get it resolved. I knew he was planning a shop move and this is not something that affects the playability of the guitar, so I've not had this repaired yet, but am confident that it will be resolved without any concern on my part.

In short and in long...Steve is awesome. He is a lifelong friend and I look forward to the day when he realizes his dreams of moving back to the PacNorWest and building a bigger shop where he can offer build courses. He is one of the most gentle and mindful human beings I've ever met and count myself blessed to know him as a friend.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 07-05-2017, 08:19 AM

Put me down for another positive response, however, I will do it in another way. I also think Steve is the ultimate human being, I nicer guy I do not know, period.

My guitar did have an issue when I first got it, I worked with it a little, but never was able to figure it out. I contacted Steve and he was like, hey, why did you wait, send it down, I will straighten it out. Sure enough he did, I got it back, it was a minor thing, he figured it out, no charge, no mess, no problem.

So in the rare event you may encounter an issue, I can tell you he will be 100 percent behind that guitar to take care of anything that is within the parameters of the build.

I think that is as important if not more so than knowing the great sounding guitars he makes. BTW, in my opinion, some of the most visually stunning as well.

Tom
Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM

From my time with Steve on the phone I could not agree more with the last statement about him. He is a stellar man, for sure. Wish there were more like him around these days.
And thanks to the posts here and for you sharing your experience with his guitars. I had no doubt that my question would get very positive responses about Steve and his guitars.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played Steve's guitars (yet), but I've corresponded with him about a guitar build I wanted to do (my first). Steve was super encouraging and generous with his time, insights, and permission to use some of his bracing ideas. I highly recommend him as a person.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Default a bright star in the guitarsky

Hi,
meanwhile I play my wonderful Edwinson for several years and I'm only able to say it was wonderful when I got it, it has developped to a warm and intensive breathtaking voice and it looks, although build in 2010, like new.
I hope that could help.
for example an arrangement of a wonderful song of Gordon Summer played on it

https://soundcloud.com/guitarchie-1/170609-august-winds

all the best

guitarchie
Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a somewhat unique perspective on Edwinson Guitars and their creator, Steve Sheriff. I've become good friends with Steve over the past 2 1/2 years, and have had the good fortune of playing just about every guitar that he's built over this period of time. Just as everyone here has indicated, Steve is one of the most genuine people you will ever meet.
Steve has a passion for lutherie, and has built over 100 guitars in his career...but you would think that each new one was his first, based upon the excitement that he exhibits upon its completion. It's not his job...but more like his life's purpose. Steve absolutely loves what he does, and it becomes crystal clear when you work with him on a daily basis. Steve has moved from Birmingham to Fairhope this year, and is now working here in my shop. There are very few people whom I would have invited into my space, to share and learn from...and Steve was that one-in-a-million.
The guitar that you are considering purchasing from Steve is one that I absolutely fell in love with from the moment that I laid eyes on it. I have had the pleasure of playing it for hours upon hours, and find it difficult to put down. As beautiful as it is to look at, the tone is second-to-none...full, balanced, lush...aurally outstanding. If this was my only guitar for the rest of my life, I would want for nothing. I can also tell you that this guitar has opened up phenomenally since the first time that I played it.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I met Steve in Memphis at the Hotel when we we each checking in for the show in 2015. Since then, i have had several opportunities to talk with Steve, and have had the privilege of handling and playing several of his guitars at the show and had one recently that was amazing.

What a GREAT guy, and a super fine builder. Can't say enough good things about him.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm in the queue for one of Steve's. To highlight the kind of human being he is, I'll take this in another direction. My niece died in a car accident near Christmastime in 2015. I was looking into a guitar to have built, then auctioned off with the full price going toward either of two charities in her honor. I called Steve to ask if this was even feasible, not asking him to do it, just wanted to know if it made any sense, given the time, materials, the need for a builder to make money to support themselves, etc. Steve, without hesitation, said he had a guitar he started, never completed, and I could have it for just the cost of materials. I was floored. He finished the guitar and sent it to me. We've been trying to work out the details on my end so I can actually get it sold and have the money go to the charity, with the buyer getting their due write-off, The guitar is a finger-stylists dream, just lovely.

It had no bearing on my decision to get in line for a guitar. He didn't know I had already decided on that. It's just who he is.

I played a guitar he built, awesome instrument.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM

I’ve only seen photos of Steve’s guitars and it’s obvious that his work is second to none. But I’m a hobby guitar maker (I don’t pretend to call myself a luthier) and build instruments for fun and not for sale. When I was starting on an OM for my nephew, I decided I’d like to try the bracing Steve uses in his instruments, which is not the usual Martin-type bracing most people use. So I rather cheekily asked Steve if he’d mind sharing some information. Not only did he not mind sharing, he went out of his way to provided me with much more than I had even asked or hoped for.

That’s the sort of person Steve is.

Oh, and the guitar was a success.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM

I am collaborating with Steve on my third Edwinson. His guitars are as is he: above reproach.

Last edited by Kahobbs; 07-08-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Default ditto

I echo everyone else's sentiments here. Steve built me a crossover when I was in a nylon guitar phase. He listens very patiently and redirects when he has to. We have another guitar planned, this time a steel string with black and white ebony. He has been more than patient with me through a number of flakey moments and has always been professional in addition to the kindness we have all noted. You may have noticed a number of us are repeat customers which is par for the course with Steve. That fact speaks volumes.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Great builder, wonderful human being, fantastic guitars.

This is recorded with his first Element Performance guitar with bubinga/redwood combo.

https://soundcloud.com/sage97-1/wanderin
Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Great builder, wonderful human being, fantastic guitars.

This is recorded with his first Element Performance guitar with bubinga/redwood combo.

https://soundcloud.com/sage97-1/wanderin
That was a great recording, love the guitar and your voice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop